Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can losing weight become addictive?

Can losing weight become addictive?

I'm thinking that losing weight can become addictive. I was a little over 5'11" and 194 pounds when I put my mind toward losing weight. Over a relatively short period of time (I think it was about 4-5 weeks), I consciously began eating healthier and smaller portion sizes and exercising more. Consequently, I dropped from 194 pounds to around 165 pounds. My wife told me not to lose any more weight and pretty much insisted that I regain a little bit of weight and stay about 170 pounds. Well, now that business takes me away from home for long periods of time I've become focused again on losing weight. Reapplying my will power to eat even less and exercise even more, my weight decreased from 170 pounds to 165 pounds and and then onto tripping the scales at 158 pounds last week. Today, I weighed myself again and I'm 155 pounds. The weight loss has manifested itself with my hips (unfortunately) going from 40 inches to 38 inches, my chest going from 38 inches to 36 inches (that is 39 inches with forms) and my waist going from 34 inches to 30.5 inches. Moreover, my dress size went from 14 to 12 (essentially a 10 for hips and waist and 12 for bust) overall. Wearing only the top of a pair of control top pantyhose, my measurements when entered into a body shape calculator reveal that I'm right on the line between an "hour glass" and "rectangle" figure. I'm amazed that I've realized this shape while no longer wearing hip pads and a corset. But, now I'm tempted to lose even more weight. I'm getting somewhat concerned that I'm getting addicted to losing weight...is that possible and does anyone have similar experiences? Nikki p.s. my main focus presently is slimming my calves. They're too large IMO, although the wig boutique owner said she wishes she had my legs because hers were too something (I forget what she said...scrawny or something to that effect). But, I'm finding it a challenge getting them more slender.
    Last edited by nikkiwindsor; 10-12-2018 at 04:48 PM.
    Wearing my fuschia bodycon dress:
    http://imgur.com/6WkdAts
    For the first time, outdoors during the day:
    http://i.imgur.com/RmjIxbY.jpg

I'd worry that "addicted to losing weight" might be another way of saying "anorexic" ...

Not saying you are, just that it's the first thought that came into my mind when you asked the question.

Me Too! Did pretty much the same thing years ago,it got so bad the wife said get off the diet before you hurt yourself, friends and coworkers started asking if I was sick or something. It was hard to give it up, my figure was great, and the clothes looked really good I thought. But in time the body fights back and will try to get back to your "normal" weight, so it's hard to maintain for long periods of time.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Platinum Member
    Yes. Like so many other behaviors, weight loss can become addictive. I know this from personal experience
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Isn’t addicted to losing weight called an “eating disorder”?

In a word yes aprt from the fact the body is being deprived of vital nutrients and vitamins, IMHO stop losing anymore weight!
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    You are dancing with the devil so to speak. I would listen to your wife because she is trying to help.
    Sounds like you are heading down the same path a female friend of mine went and she is no longer with us due to anorexia.
    She went from being healthy to thinking she needed to lose weight and get fit. It consumed her time and eventually she lost her life to it.

After I lost 70+ pounds (over 8 months) some people thought I was sick / dying. While the clothing looked great, I regained a few pounds to look "healthier".

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Micki_Finn View Post
    Isn’t addicted to losing weight called an “eating disorder”?
    Amen to that! Totally agree with Micki. The BMI calculator has your numbers within the normal range. With that dramatic weight loss I wonder what kind of nutrients your body is not getting. When I was 23-25 years old I was 175 pounds, and, much of it was military grade muscle. I wore a 38 Tall suit jacket. I had a 30 inch waist. Hips ???. Several years before that I was the same height and as little as 138 pounds. My wife saw a picture of me and termed it "our concentration camp look!" Did I have an eating disorder? No. My metabolism was just too high.

Personally, it sounds as if you are on the start of an eating disorder. No different than a woman thinking rail thin is in. I would suggest, if you're going down this path, you need to get annual checkups/blood work done. One of the things the body starts doing when it is starved is starting to break down muscle tissue. Listen to your wife and gain some weight.

Assuming you haven't developed an eating disorder, I'll say this...

When I went through divorce I was already thin. During that time and for a couple of years after I just wasn't hungry. I was obviously too skinny for a male. Probably too skinny for a woman my age. I was more interested in what I looked like as a woman, so I was loving it! And, like you, wanted to lose more. It was easy because I just wasn't hungry, and had gotten so used to not eating much that even when I was eating something I really liked I got full on practically nothing.

Everybody commented on how skinny I was. As a male I looked like there was something wrong with me, and I'd even agree. As a woman I looked better than I had in years. Everything I tried on looked good. I got frequents compliments and positive comments.

It was all temporary. When I stabilized mentally I started eating normally... and then some. Before long I was heavier than I'd ever been. I'm now back down to about where I was pre-divorce. I look better as a male. I'm at a tolerable weight for a female, but I'd still like to lose a little. Again, assuming you haven't developed something serious, I'd think you could just enjoy it for a while, knowing that nature will take it's course soon enough.

BTW, I've always had little boobs, even when I was at my skinniest. When I gained weight my boobs got more than their share. I worried that when I lost weight I'd lose it in my boobs first. Thankfully that didn't happen, and although I'm at about the same weight I was before the divorce, my boobs are noticeably bigger.

Nikki,

Go see your doctor. Get them to measure your height and weight, from that they should be able to advise whether or not you are under weight for your frame size. Be advised by their opinion.

The very fact that you are focused on loosing even more weight does ring alarm bells.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

I agree with Helen, see your doctor for a total physical, explaining your weight loss and desire to lose more in specific areas. You CAN work with your doctor to achieve your goals and stay healthy if you keep in touch with him, in my opinion.

I wouldn't say it's addictive, just that after a certain period of time when behaving in a certain way, something just feels more natural and becomes part of our normal behavior. Way back in the 80's, I learned that if you can keep doing something for about 20 days, it's yours. And so when I dieted, or exercised, I would just promise to myself that I would stick it out for at least 20 days. And it turned out to be correct. After that time, I would follow the behaviors that I had done for that 20 days, as it became the norm for me.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

I’m going to disagree with some of the comments here, including you Micki because I’m in the process of losing weight and I’m doing it in the same way- cutting out carbs, cutting down on alcohol, fried food, fatty foods (except fatty fish), eating extremely healthy in reasonable portions, upping my dose of vitamins and micronutrients, running 5k a day and taking yoga classes.

I dare any of you to tell me I’m unhealthy.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    If u r gradually changing what and the amount u eat, that's diet change. If u r starving yourself, that's a diet.

Diets r unhealthy and don't work in the long run. On the other hand, I intentionally changed what and how much I eat and drink for Sherry's figure's sake about 10 years ago. Lost my spare tire and kept it off. See the results in my avatar.

I think u need to decide what u r doing and why, Nikki?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Hi Nikky,
    The first thing I have to say is go to your doctor and let him/her guide you on any weight loss plan. You might find it is then easier for you and if done on a long slow time table will become permanent.

Just my

Fran

I think obsessive is more correct, as per previous advice diet and exercise should all be taken in moderation.

Too much exercise can result in repetitive strain injuries and damage to joints, as does extreme dieting which can mean an imbalance of vitamins and nutrients that the body needs.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Losing 29 pounds in 4 to 5 weeks is NOT normal.

Based on the research I've read/follow, safe weight loss is two to three pounds a week, or a 7,000 to 10,500 weekly calorie deficit, or a 1,000 to 1,500 daily calorie deficit. To lose 6 pounds a week, double the latter numbers.

Our normal metabolism is around 2,000 calories a day. To get a 3,000 daily calorie deficit, you could only eat something like 1,000 calories while burning 4,000 daily. To burn 2,000 calories through exercise you'd need to run between 15 and 20 miles daily--and do that every day for four or five weeks.

So, if you lost that much that quickly, yes you might have an issue with food and weight loss.

P.S. I don't think doctors know much about weight loss, and I'm the offspring of two doctors, so I'm not denigrating doctors. It's just not their area of expertise for many (and disregard anything Dr. Oz says about diet).
    Last edited by TheHiddenMe; 10-12-2018 at 10:53 PM. Reason: To add ps

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by KatrinaK View Post
    I’m going to disagree with some of the comments here, including you Micki because I’m in the process of losing weight and I’m doing it in the same way- cutting out carbs, cutting down on alcohol, fried food, fatty foods (except fatty fish), eating extremely healthy in reasonable portions, upping my dose of vitamins and micronutrients, running 5k a day and taking yoga classes.

I dare any of you to tell me I’m unhealthy.
    Looking at the list of foods cut from your diet it looks like your diet and exercise is sensible. The question that arises with Nikki is whether she is driven to lose weight in an unhealthy manner to produce her idea of a perfect female form. Isn't this what eating disorders are all about? At some point the body is going to say you're starving yourself and this will have an adverse impact on overall health and organ health. Hopefully, anyone who wants to lose weight has a sensible goal.

Nikki,

One thing I'll add is when dieting initially the body burns off excess fat reserves so that's good. Once however all that is gone the body starts to use muscle as a food source. Think of the pictures of those poor prisoners of war held in camps.

So you do need to be careful. Cases of anorexics dying are well documented. Take care you don't become another. So many of them denied they had a problem often even to the very end.

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    Yes, I think you're probably addicted to weight loss.

I went through a very similar period about 3 years ago, and there is a sense of euphoria to seeing the weight drop off. I would literally giggle with joy.

The downside is that I began to get strange aches in my body and my heart rate would accelerate with the tiniest stresses. I slept about 3 hours less than my normal 7 or 8. I was on about 600 cals a day at my most extreme - totally unsustainable. As Helen says, my body was eating its muscle and I got noticeably weaker.

The stuff with my heart scared me, so I went back to eating about 1800 a day. I miss being slimmer, and I dress far less because I don't feel good in many of my femme clothes, but I think I'm healthier for it.

Be careful.
    I used to have a short attention spa

Nikki, I don't think that loosing weight is addictive, its controlling your body.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Banned Read only
    Nikki,
    I had to smile at your comment about not needing the lower padding anymore , It is a lovely feeling to be as natural as possible , maybe for your height it might not be beneficial to lose anymore weight at 5' 11" . I'm 5' 7" at 140 lbs and really shouldn't dip below that otherwise I'll be falling down kerbside rainwater drains !! If a GG gives you a compliment trust her judgement she's in the real World .

I do feel you are more than ready to take on the outside World , I personally feel how I look is as good as it gets for my age so I'm going for it now and just enjoying the ride . You've worked hard on every aspect , I'm sure you'll find as I did you worried far too much , as Pat said , " Don't overthink it just go suck it and see !"
    Last edited by Teresa; 10-13-2018 at 07:09 AM.

I started running about 40 years ago in an attempt to lose weight. I went from 190 ads to about 135. However my body could not hold that weight, i was 5ft 7, and I gradually crept up to 140-145, where I stay today at the ripe old age of 64. I eat very healthy, do not deprive myself of the occasional treat, and I workout daily. I have had women tell me "no guy should be that skinny", "you look like you're dying", etc. I'm about 5ft 6.5 after some shrinkage lol, which is good for my body since I have a slight frame and my blood indicators are at excellent levels. My point is that you should stay at a weight that is appropriate for your height and frame, and eat healthy and exercise. Your health, not trying to impress others is the priority. I agree with some of the other posters here. Talk to a doctor and a nutritionist and find out what is best for you.

I think several have hit it on the head, losing weight is fine as long as you stay healthy. Everyone always says diet AND exercise. If your nutrition is unhealthy you won't be able to maintain a good workout. I know that when I don't eat or drink enough water I will hit a wall during my workouts. So its a delicate balance between weight loss and having enough calories to make it through the day, if you are experiencing a crash in the afternoon odds are you're not eating right.