Thread: Beg Your Pardon?

Beg Your Pardon?

Today, while waiting for my order to be made at Taco Bell, I was playing a game on my phone. The on-duty manager, a rather abrasive lady, looks right at me and says, "Are you waiting for something, ma'am?"

I looked up, slightly amused, and replied, "Ma'am?" After a moment, she corrected herself and called me Sir.

Normally I'd be overjoyed to be seen as female, but in this instance, I was presenting as "male" as could be. Heavy metal hoodie, fire hose pants, sneakers...nothing remotely feminine about it. The only thing I can imagine that confused the woman was my hair. The way I wore it when I went out last month is basically the way it looks in male mode, which is why I usually wear a ballcap.

For a brief moment at a Taco Bell, I passed without trying. LOL
    It's spelled Marika, but it's pronounced Janey!
    Appreciate the beauty in the current moment, because the past is gone and tomorrow never comes.
    Janey's Amost Secret Crossdressing Blog: http://marikajaye.blogspot.com

Oh well, a missed opportunity there, you should have dressed better. :-)
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I think hair is as powerful a symbol of gender as clothing- and a haircut that looks and feels feminine would be a clue for an employee who had just been through gender training to try to do the right thing as she understood it. Or maybe she just saw you that way- which was perceptive- you were in male drag! Or maybe she was trying to annoy another counterculture guy... GO back again and see what happens!
    We are all beautiful...!

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley Sims View Post
    Oh well, a missed opportunity there, you should have dressed better. :-)
    LOL!

I didn't get a chance to wear anything feminine on that day. I'm off work on Monday & Tuesday. After a bit of makeup practice, I may work up an appetite and have to go in for some nachos. 😏 👜👠

I've had that happen to me when seen from the back; they usually change to sir with an apology once they see my face.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

Quote Originally Posted by marika_jaye View Post
    Today, while waiting for my order to be made at Taco Bell, I was playing a game on my phone. The on-duty manager, a rather abrasive lady, looks right at me and says, "Are you waiting for something, ma'am?"
    If I were the person she spoke to like that I would have give some lip back. People in the position of dealing with the general public need to be at the very least pleasant but should be courteous at all times. Saying that in an abrasive manner would have me on the phone to the district manager and filing a formal complaint against her.

Fran

I've gotten ma'am'ed in male mode a few times, and I enjoy it.

I've also gotten the "are you waiting for something?" or better yet "are you in line here?" I'm always tempted to say, "Is there some other reason I'd be standing here?" but I'm always polite.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I've said this over and over. On duty working folks r usually just trying to do their job.

So, if they call me ma'am or sir, no matter how I'm dressed, I don't think much of it. As long as they do their job properly, the reason I came in, I'm thrilled!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!