Thread: I was curious.

I was curious.

A few days ago I read an article asking this question. "We're the ancient Roman soldiers stronger and more hardy than our soldiers of today?" The answere was a big yes! For a number of reasons. I wont go into those here as this post is not about that. But it got me to thinking. In BC and somewhat years after, Roman soldiers wore leather skirts in battle and even at home. So i looked it up on the net to see what reference to that was. It surprised me! When i looked up the reference on roman soldiers uniforms it did say they wore those leather skirts. What surprised me was that back then, they thought wearing pants made one effiminate. Whoa! So the rough, tough Roman soldier back 2000yrs ago thought wearing pants was what many think about men wearing dresses/skirts today. I think that's ironic. I prefer their thinking over ours of today.

Not only did the soldiers wear skirts but the roman counsel wore dresses Called TOGAS. They were just a large sheet of cloth wrapped around the body and held together with a pin of some type. more like a brioche. So when in Rome......

Aspiring Member
    Fast forward to 1700 or so when men wore silk stockings, effeminate foot gear, lots of lace and bows, and powdered wigs.

I vote for the leather skirts. Sexy in our time,

Ineke

I know where this thread is going, but the Scottish wear kilts, and so it goes on.

I wear a skirt because that is what women wear.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I'm traveling in italy now and my best take is that women wore long dresses and men wore short ones. Togas being togas and not dresses, which were tailored more or less like ours. I'm looking at a centurion in his leather skirt and cloth underdress, and not thinking feminine!
    We are all beautiful...!

Banned Read only
    I know where this is headed too. However, what was the fashion of the day was in conformity with male and female roles. I do not think Roman soldiers would take kindly if you told any of them they were wearing women's clothing. Yes, trousers originally were deemed effeminate until the empire expanded into colder climates.

To me what we are seeing is an aspect of the gender and gender expression is what you think gender and gender expression is point of view. Gender identity is likely a biological characteristic that is weakly linked to sexual identity which is also biological. Gender expression is a socially determined characteristic. Times change. In the 1700's in western civilization gender expression was really creepy by today's standards but if we were able to go back in time and mingle among them we might end up being burned at the stake for violating every rule in the book. As I said, times change.

Quote Originally Posted by Fran in skirts View Post
    Not only did the soldiers wear skirts but the roman counsel wore dresses Called TOGAS. They were just a large sheet of cloth wrapped around the body and held together with a pin of some type. more like a brioche. So when in Rome......
    Fran, It sounds to me like you may have gone to a Toga party.
    Crissy

I’m hoping to go to Africa next year and from internet pictures, it looks like the fierce Masai warriors still wear a robe a dress called a Shuka. Usually red, if that’s your color.

When you have a minute, look up the old greek elite soldier uniforms.

Now, there's an outfit.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

I still like our Leatherneck uniforms, Especially the Blue Dress Uniform of the USMC..I'm sure romans won't go to war wearing leather skirts these days. Native Americans only wore Breach cloth ...Oops getting off track