Thread: Heel be back

Heel be back

Let’s make it clear at the outset. This isn’t about how well you walk, or how high you go, this is about how women’s heeled shoes are seen in the context of a women’s right to choose in a modern society.

Historically heels were worn by men. Look back to the French courts of the likes of Louis XVI and wealthy men’s shoes could easily carry a 2” heel. Fashions ebb and flow so is it valid to say heels are imposed upon women by a misogynistic elite from within the fashion industry or is it simple a case of form over function? Designers echoing the past, drawing inspiration from what went before?

For some high heels are seen as one of those things that society imposes upon women. In order to be seen as attractive, desirable in the eyes of men. Something no woman wears truly by choice. For others they’re a means of personal expression. A way of improving how they look, making them feel good about themselves. It could be argued that this is little different from the male who grows a beard as it’s become fashionable to do so in recent times. Simple conformist behaviour. It’s also become, at least in the UK, fashionable for young males to go to the gym and build upper torso muscles.

So now we have clubs and bars full of macho bearded males competing for the attention of preened heel wearing females.

Is it therefore as simple as that? Women now choose not to wear heels for the everyday tasks. In suit and tie, polished shoes, well barbered, males working cheek by jowl with well dressed women seeking to mutually impress each other at work and at play but in those intermediate periods, the bits were we do the boring mundane things that life requires, we all go dress down at least to some level. If out in the day shopping is it surprising that there aren’t hordes of females walking about in heels? No, it’s just not the right time and place.

In a post started by Charlotte there are replies that in referring to heels talk about women wearing them to be sexy. Perhaps therein lays part of the problem. Is it possible that they’re worn just to make them look and feel more attractive, more stylish, more elegant and that the “Sisters are doing it for themselves” to quote the song.

Are we guilty of when talking about heels only thinking of killer stilettos? A few nights ago I was out at a show at a small theatre and the vast majority of women were wearing a heeled shoe. Most were less than 2” block heel but heels nevertheless. There was a proportion of stilettos but nothing extravagantly high. Stylish but wearable I’d describe them as. So is the problem in our minds? Are some of our community, I refuse to tar all, guilty of creating an image that’s a reflection of their own desires? A failure to move with the times?

I like how heels make my legs, and from that my overall presentation look. Is my first reaction I look sexy or that I present well, a more femme image to the observer? I’ve decided on the latter. The average straight male is never going to see me a sexy. I hope not as mutton dressed as lamb either but in the right light I’ll settle for elegant and stylish

In summation I feel it’s wrong to vilify heels as the work of Satan imposed upon women by misogynistic men and what we're experiencing is in someway a backlash. In truth what’s happened women have chosen the when and where heels are worn. If they choose not to wear them for reasons of comfort or style choice, their muscles and joints don’t allow, so be it. If you can, count you blessings.

Those of our community who go out regularly it seems broadly follow the trend. On a night out then heels are the thing. Spending the day shopping, comfort wins out.

Now I know some are at this point itching to tell how they can spend all day in heels without any issue. So can some GG’s. Most however now opt for a more pragmatic approach and therein I feel lays the truth of the matter. Heels aren’t dead and forgotten, just worn more selectively. Pragmatism wins the day.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

I think you’re overthinking heels. They are just objects that will have different meanings to different people. But if you got some sort of elucidation from your thoughts then great!

A thinking woman here, this is food for thought.

I like heels too but don't wear 'em much, especially not in the daylight hours.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Read only
    Helen,
    I do feel the majority of women wear what they choose to wear without worrying what other people think . There are many factors why they wear them or not but as I said in a reply to another thread many women I've spoken to wear trousers because they don't like their legs/figure . To many of those women flat shoes or small wedges are the chosen footwear . Again I'm surprised at the women who have told me that they can't wear heels , lets not forget a 3" heel on a small foot is quite high .

I know you related in another thread about young women going out on the town in short skirts and killer heels . OK it is sexy to some of them and also a little peer pressure of who can wear the highest or sexiest , naturally most guys love to see them as you say they do wonders to most legs male or female . If you catch up with most of them you will see them dancing bare foot and walking home carrying them . OK been there and done that one !

I feel we do overthink these issues , most people do wear what they personally prefer to wear and aren't governed by society . I don't give too much thought these days to what I wear in male mode do you ? I'm more concerned if I look acceptable when dressed .

Quote Originally Posted by Helen_Highwater View Post
    Let’s make it clear at the outset. This isn’t about how well you walk, or how high you go, this is about how women’s heeled shoes are seen in the context of a women’s right to choose in a modern society.
    Not forgetting a woman's right to choose not to wear heels. There was a case in 2016 in London of a receptionist for a major accountancy firm who was sent home for refusing to wear heels to work, the implication being that she had to fit their idea of an attractive woman to be accepted. I would be surprised if that rule was invented by a woman.

Banned Read only
    The women I know tend to be selective when it comes to footwear. Women are also selective when it comes to underwear and outerwear. Comfort and function. I suppose the ordinary casual MtF cross dresser is going to emulate his idea of the ideal woman he wants to emulate. If your only opportunity to express yourself is very limited, it seems natural to go all out. Others who dress with more frequency may have graduated to more function and comfortable clothing. I wonder how Vanna White would look if she wore flat when parading across the screen turning those letters?

I wandered down the South Bank yesterday. There were a few women wearing stiletto heels, but not more than a handful.
    I wondered how comfortable they were feeling!

Banned Read only
    Gale,
    Some heels can be as comfortable as flats I have some I can wear all day and obviously some my dear old arthritis in my toes tell me to dump as soon as possible . I must admit I love wearing them but found a good compromise are heeled wedges . They don't stand out as much , they are more comfortable and still look dressy if needs be for the evening .

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Why are heels such an obsession with CDers?
    You are overthinking it Helen IMO.
    Are you trying to justify as a man why you like to wear them?
    You don't have to do that because we get it.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 10-14-2018 at 07:18 AM.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachelish View Post
    Not forgetting a woman's right to choose not to wear heels. There was a case in 2016 in London of a receptionist for a major accountancy firm who was sent home for refusing to wear heels to work, the implication being that she had to fit their idea of an attractive woman to be accepted. I would be surprised if that rule was invented by a woman.
    The whole debate summed up perfectly