Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Debit card

Michelle,

I have both of those things..it did it to add believeability, one more thing to confirm "female" in people's minds..though I do sometimes get read, probably more than I think! Anyway, makes it fun for me to hand over the card and sign as Julie..including checking in to a hotel.
    For the credit card, I just added Julie as additional user, they did not ask for any info other than Julie's relationship to me (daughter..lol). They'll issue a card to Donald Duck as additional user as long as you pay the bill! Julie's had the card for about 10 yrs, no issues. The license is fake of course (from "Really Good Fakes" on line if you're interested)..BUT it's from a different state, the next state over from me..the ONLY thing I've ever used it for is when they ask for credit card and ID when you check in to a hotel..they just take a photo of it and hand it back..it's been kind of fun to get called "Mrs. Martin" a few times by the clerk (I have a femme voice so that helps)

A caveat: I ALWAYS also have my male ID's and credit cards with me when out, and if any legal situation ever came up (stopped for speeding etc..has never happened..but) I would show my male ID. I'd never mess with the legal side of things!

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    I've I've never had a debit card but I do have two credit cards for each of my two accounts. They really could care less who it is just that they remind you the primary account holder is responsible for the charges.

I have one credit card that has both my male and female names on it. I set up a separate "Business Account" with a bank in my town, with my real name as Owner, and my girl name as the "Business Name". That same account has checks that only list my girl name on them, and the bank is okay with me signing for the card or the checks with my girl name. The bank I chose offered this as a free account, with no fees.

However...

Over the last few years I've simply come to realize that sales associates don't care at all if a female-looking patron presents a credit card or drivers license with a male name on it. At first, if asked for ID, I quietly said, "Okay, but it doesn't look much like me any more." But I found they just make sure the name on the ID matches the name on the credit card and the signature on the card matches the name I signed, (and that the birth date is old enough, if carding me for alcohol sales) and they don't even comment that the picture on the driver's license does not resemble me as a girl.

In three months or so it will be moot, as at that time I'll get my driver's license and birth certificate legally changed to my female name and a female gender marker, and then I'll start changing or replacing everything else!

I did consider how I could get a card with my female name but as UK banks now require much more detailed information I thought I would pretty soon run into a brickwall where official ID would be required.

In fact I don't need to bother. Firstly contact less/ pin payments mean there is very rarely any need for SA to handle my card. Even when they do, I have never noticed them reading the name line. Secondly unless below the age of 25 and attempting to buy drink we don't get asked for ID.

Reality Check
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie Martin View Post
    Michelle,

I have both of those things..it did it to add believeability, one more thing to confirm "female" in people's minds..though I do sometimes get read, probably more than I think! Anyway, makes it fun for me to hand over the card and sign as Julie..including checking in to a hotel.
    For the credit card, I just added Julie as additional user, they did not ask for any info other than Julie's relationship to me (daughter..lol). They'll issue a card to Donald Duck as additional user as long as you pay the bill! Julie's had the card for about 10 yrs, no issues. The license is fake of course (from "Really Good Fakes" on line if you're interested)..BUT it's from a different state, the next state over from me..the ONLY thing I've ever used it for is when they ask for credit card and ID when you check in to a hotel..they just take a photo of it and hand it back..it's been kind of fun to get called "Mrs. Martin" a few times by the clerk (I have a femme voice so that helps)

A caveat: I ALWAYS also have my male ID's and credit cards with me when out, and if any legal situation ever came up (stopped for speeding etc..has never happened..but) I would show my male ID. I'd never mess with the legal side of things!

Just having that fake drivers license can get you into a lot of trouble. Sure, you can just show the police the real one, but what if you are in a wreck and unconscious and they look through your purse to see who you are? What if you are suspected of a crime and they search your purse? The police don't generally appreciate anyone trying to fool them and there will be a lot of questions to answer.

It's a crime so I would think long and hard about carrying that fake license with you.
    Krisi

I don't think either would be possible. Especially a driver's license without either getting a fake or actually changing your name

No credit cards for me. If I can't pay cash, I do without. Makes one aware of "needs" vs. "wants" in short order. It's amazing how many "needs" are in actuality only "wants".
    Jon

My wife and I have joint Discover and Costco Visa credit cards. The Discover statement goes to her in paper form, while the Costco Visa comes to me in electronic form. So if course I use the Costco Visa when I'm out as Dee, even though it has my male name AND my picture (male, if course) on it. I've never had an issue.

Reality Check
    You should be able to add your female self to a credit or debit card, just as you would add your wife or child. Another possibility is to get a credit or debit card with just your initials. "JG Smith".
    Krisi