Thread: Avon Lady

Avon Lady

Do any of you ladies have an Avon lady come to you house to get your makeup or skin care products.my mom used to get her stuff from
    a sales representative and I thought that was the coolest thing.They would sit and tale makeup and other stuff and I wanted to be there with her.then the avon bag would show up at your door one morning.Would love to have one.

Slip Into Something Femme Piora's Avatar
    Back in the 60s, my mother was an Avon lady. I was about 13 at the time, and hadn't yet come into my realization that I was a crossdresser. But I was fascinated by all the samples in her case, and all the little lipsticks that she would give out. If I knew then what I know now, well......there could have been trouble!
    "Taking the time to be in touch with my feminine side"

Michelle, I do remember the Avon lady. My mother was not the biggest wearer of makeup, but she did by fragrances and lipstick from the Avon lady.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Slip Into Something Femme Piora's Avatar
    Does Avon still have sales ladies canvassing homes? I thought that had gone the way of the dodo, and everything was done online now.
    "Taking the time to be in touch with my feminine side"

I have a feeling they don’t go door to door anymore. Just too dangerous out there!

My mother was a ‘Nutrimetics’ saleswoman, and one of her good friends was an Avon lady.

Avon is closing shop in Australia at the end of this year. I think online shopping has seen the end of the party plan sales.

Michelle

It's up to the individual for the door to door part. When I was out of work in Pompano Beach I paid the $20 or whatever amount it was to be a Avon representative. I went door to door with a little success. I enjoyed the monthly meetings with all the ladies. I was always in male mode as I had it figured that a compliments from a male representative was better for sales.

So go online and be a rep. It's a inexpensive start up to be your own boss or for extra money. The ladies had no problem helping me and we're very excepting.

Just in the past week I saw a lady driving a car with an Avon sticker on it so I guess they are still around in my area.
    Crissy

I buy things from Avon online once a month.But it would be nice to have a avon lady help me

Door to door sales are still there but it is becoming legally restrictive to sell door to door and online sales seem to be more in favour these days.

When did you last see a Fuller Brush Man or a Hoover or Electrolux salesman?

What? You don't know who they are.? :-)
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley Sims View Post
    Door to door sales are still there but it is becoming legally restrictive to sell door to door and online sales seem to be more in favour these days.

Sure I do...that, along with the (likely now extinct) Tupperware salesladies. Sadly, all these folks have now been replaced by the scammers who try to sell fraudulent water heater rental contracts door-to-door (at least in my neck of the woods), as well as the relentless telemarketers with the bad accents operating from overseas call centers and flogging overpriced duct cleaning services.

Before I retired we had a Mary Kay representive at work.I used to buy lotions and perfume,along with shaving cream.One evening just before work let out she asked me how I liked the shaving cream, noticing all the guys listening, I told her my legs had never been smoother. We both laughed. She had a sister who sold avon and they would both make sure I had a monthly catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley Sims View Post

Bev, I remember them all plus the Jewel tea man and the Watkins spice man. My mother was a Tupperware sales lady. When she had a party after dark in the winter, dad would make me go with her so she wasn't out driving alone at night. I would help her with sales, and became a pretty good salesman myself.
    We still have a Tupperware dealer here in town, but I don't think she holds the party's they where known for. They do work the fair, and I think from there it's more phone sales.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Banned Read only
    They are still around. I find their pamphlets scattered at local stores with name and telephone number. Most seem to generate contacts where there are mutual interests such as churches. Not too long ago there was even a male Avon seller in the area. When my wife still had an Avon contact she did say she had clients who she thought were cross dressers because the orders were delivered when only a man was home and answered the door. Avon is sold on the Internet by sales representatives. So, if you want its products they're available. My wife brought home the latest catalogue which had some nice lingerie items in it.
    Last edited by Stephanie47; 10-22-2018 at 10:27 AM. Reason: spelling

Here in UK the Avon lady still exists. One comes in regularly to my wife's hairdresser and leaves the catalogue to order for the next week. Some good bargains to be had.

Whilst the Avon lady doesn't actually call at my home, she does visit a close friend, and I have a regular order for a nail strengthening product.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle8 View Post
    Would love to have one.
    You can have Avon contact a sales rep near you for a home visit. Just enter your address (or any house on a nearby street if you're concerned about privacy) on their website for a list of names you can choose from for personal in-home shopping. But if memory serves, the rep will require that you host a party so she can make multiple sales. Decades ago I was always exposed to Avon products through in-house parties. There were no single, door-to-door sales where I lived.

If you belong to a TG group that meets regularly, you might consider hosting a party at your meeting place sometime.

https://www.avon.com/findarep
    Reine

Silver Member
    Ah, the Avon lady always gave small lipstick samples to mom, and one of many always ended up secretly with me. As to Tupperware (still the best IMHO), I seem to recall once reading that their best sales person was a crossdressed guy!

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    My wife buys stuff from Avon, but usually only perfume and nail varnish. A lady calls round once a month, having posted a catalogue earlier and then collects the order. I prefer to buy in store, no waiting for items that cost about the same, though I do get some tips from the catalogue.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

Aspiring Member
    This thread has made me remember this from The Observer many years ago (2003). Full article here https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ures.magazine4 But the rest of the article is just about the company itself.

The company also sponsors a transgender website for a transvestite and transsexual community which has acute need of make-up experts who come into their homes to give private and personal advice.

'Helping men become the woman they have always felt they were is one of the single most rewarding experiences of my life,' says Alice, a transvestite Avon representative who lives near the army barracks in Colchester.

'Avon's services are priceless to those just starting out as transvestites or those who are still too shy to buy make-up on the high street,' adds Alice, who does most of her rounds dressed as a man, but who for her transvestite customers becomes her feminine alter-ego.

'Men just beginning to wear make-up for the first time have less idea of what to use than a young girl who might be just starting to use cosmetics, but who has been experimenting with products for years already,' she says.
    In case you're wondering, no I didn't remember the detail of this, I just remember that a long time ago I read about (what was called then) a transvestite Avon lady, Mr Google did the rest for me.