Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HALLOWEEN: The night no one went out

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    From what I understand, *trick-or-treating* on Halloween evening/night (at least in the US) has been on the wane for quite some time now.

Not saying it still doesn't go on, especially in certain neighborhoods or social groups or whatever. But overall, the trend for that is down.

However...

Other things have been on the *rise*!

For example, instead of parents taking their kids trick-or-treating (or letting them go, or passing out candy at their door), what many of them have been doing is to have parties at home for themselves & friends/family. Food, drink, music, etc. Kids still get to wear costumes -- and even some of the adults may partake!

Another example (and this has been going on for a loooong time), is for young adults (say, 21 to 25) to throw on costumes & go clubbing. Loud music, skimpy outfits, lots of alcohol -- and hooking-up.

Though that latter trend has been rising in age, as well. Late 20's, 30's, even 40+, have been joining in. Heck, back during my en-femme days, the oldest GG in my social circle who got all dolled up for Halloween clubbing was something like 55 years old! (And she had the body of a hot 20-something, no joke. )

Anyway, no one has to do anything, obviously. But Halloween has definitely shifted, here in the US.

It's still about the kids -- though it's also way more for adults now, too. And that is definitely a good thing for a CD'er.

Aspiring Member
    My wife and I were invited to a Halloween party when we were first married. She went as me, (manufacturing worker) and I went as her (nurse). She did not know at the time I was a crossdresser - it was a wonderful night. I remember one of my make co-workers staring at my legs in my short nursing dress. It was a blast. But that was the last time ever. I am in a DADT relationship now. I moved for a job change so I was living by myself for a time being. I dressed up on Halloween and then spent the next 1/2 hour struggling to go out the door. Finally, I went out the door, drove to the next town over, went into a CVS and brought a bag of halloween candy, and then back to my apartment. It was a big thrill to be dressed. Hats off to all those that get to dress on Halloween. I'll be dressed in my pink fog brain.

The problem with “just go out and do it” is that depending on where you live, if one is outed their jobs, their housing, or even their personal safety could be at risk. I don’t think it’s inappropriate to advise caution to members who are obviously nervous about being outed. Telling someone to tone down their appearance to blend with Halloween isn’t “try[ing] to keep them from” going out.

Quote Originally Posted by Micki_Finn View Post
    The problem with “just go out and do it” is that depending on where you live, if one is outed their jobs, their housing, or even their personal safety could be at risk. I don’t think it’s inappropriate to advise caution to members who are obviously nervous about being outed. Telling someone to tone down their appearance to blend with Halloween isn’t “try[ing] to keep them from” going out.
    Absolutely right. I sometimes forget that I live in a really progressive community, and have a really open-minded group of friends (who are a bunch of creative types - theater, dance, music, writing - this is my circle). So I'm very fortunate that with this group, even if they suspect something, it'd likely be no big deal. And it took me a long time to come to that realization. Everyone has to do what's right for them, and if there was any risk of any of the above, then it's absolutely not worth it. Thanks for the clarification.

Last year, I decided to "come out" my wife right before Halloween (because I wanted to dress again), and I think she was most shocked by the fact that I thought I was 1) telling her something she didn't know, and 2) that this was even a big deal. She said, "Don't you think that if I actually had a problem with this I would've said something before?" I'm very lucky...and kind of an idiot with how I handled it.
    "She was everybody else's girl. Maybe someday, she'll be her own." - T. Amos