Thread: I gotta ask

Silver Member

I gotta ask

Yesterday, I had a chance to drive across the border to Bellingham to pick up some clothes I ordered from Torrid. (Fyi, its the only place I will shop online, because I have learned to trust their sizing, I can try on in the store and get instant refunds for things that don't fit, and I avoid import duties on the things I decide to take home.) I was dressed in a floral skirt, crocheted top, black faux fur coat and my favorite black and red velvet pumps. I was in MIAD mode, not trying to pass.

So, partway down the highway after I crossed the border, I needed to stop at a highway rest stop to urinate. I parked next to a small truck where a middle aged man was fiddling with the door. As soon as I got out of my car, he called out to me.
    "Excuse me sir, do you have a phone I can borrow?" He had locked himself out of his company truck with the motor running and needed to call his office for help. I fished mine out of my purse and dialed the number he told me. I handed it to him and he briefly told his boss his predicament, then handed it back.

He thanked me and then said "I just have to ask. What's the deal with the outfit?" In a respectful way. So, in an equally respectful way, I told him I'm gender fluid and he asked me which bathroom I planned to use. "The men's, of course, because I'm making no pretense about being a woman." Then I told him how the whole bathroom gender issue is just a political scare tactic. Conversation over, he thanked me one more time and I left him waiting for his help.

IMHO, this is how understanding happens. One respectful conversation at a time. I admit, I don't get many opportunities to have that discussion, so I think there's room for me to improve. But I feel like his first encounter with a crossdresser was positive and informative.

Well done! Nice to read a good story!

Michelle

Silver Member
    You handled that beautifully! I was also hoping to hear that in your purse with all the "needed" supplies you had a coat hanger and got him in his truck. If that had happened, I wonder if he would have included your presentation in describing who helped him out, we'll never know. Nice job of using the opportunity to inform.

Well done Suzanne! You were truely an ambassador.

Well done.

While some of the members here don't get the whole MIAD thing, this is further proof that the general public does. He wasn't confused at all, just curious.

Banned Read only
    Hey suzanne I live in Bellingham and people around here are friendly and accepting in the most part.

A word of caution about those rest stops north of town, they are well known locations for prostitution and other "related activities".

I walked into the restroom on the Northbound side once and there were "services being rendered" in one of the stalls in the middle of the afternoon.
    Last edited by Robertacd; 10-24-2018 at 04:13 PM.

I do agree if given a respectful question it deserves a straight up respectful answer.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Very good the way you both handled the situation. Crissy

Aspiring drama queen Isabella Ross's Avatar
    Suzanne, well done. I think you're right...one conversation at a time. Had a similar situation here in South Surrey last week. BTW, this is completely unrelated, but I have to say that the Ross's store in Bellingham completely rocks. I've been able to buy so many dresses in my sizes (18 and 20) at this Ross's. Highly recommended if you also wear plus sizes.

Suzanne good job informing the man and I'd like to say thank you for helping another person in a predicament with trouble. We'll never know what he told his boss later about who was his person that helped him but I bet he was at least thankful you did. I truly believe that most people are good about helping another person regardless of looks, color or what kind of clothes they are wearing. You just proved my point.

Suzanne, way to own it.

Glad it all went well for you.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

Love the story and your positive non-reactionary approach which ended with great results from just be helpful to a stranger in need.

Good story.
    One more small step to gain acceptance.
    We'll never know what he told his boss, or others. However I'm sure you left him with a positive impression.
    Often, even people that are vehemently opposed to some group (generally based on hearsay), can have their opposition softened by a few positive encounters with individuals from that group.

Another good step in getting the word spread of only there were more people like the one you met how much easier life would be for everybody.
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

Bravo! Well done.
    Life is too short to be boring...Alexandra

Silver Member
    Thanks, all of you. My greatest hope is that more of us get the courage to get out more, get more opportunities like this, and show everyone else that the world has nothing to fear from us.

It’s interactions like this that help the cause, and shows the muggles that there is not to be fearful of, that we are just normal people just trying to live their lives the best we can.

well done Suzanne !

Way to represent BTW, I enjoy Torrid for the same reasons.

Just do it already! DaisyLawrence's Avatar

Banned Read only
    Thanks for sharing. If one presents themselves in a positive light then the outcome can be positive. As Roberta posted the rest stops along the I-5 corridor are notorious for illicit activity. IMHO, the man was receptive and open minded. There are other situations that do occur where a preconceived negative perspective would only be fortified.