Thread: Stress dress

Stress dress

I've always felt that my dressing was related to my stress levels but I hadn't appreciated just how much, I started a new job earlier this year which calmed my life down immensely, so much so that I'm not dressing at all, I've had opportunity often enough and have an accepting wife so there's nothing stopping me, I love dressing but the urge just isn't there, I want to, I just can't be bothered if that makes sense,,,

My worry is that my wife is seeing me all relaxed now and not dressing which she's happy about, although she's accepting she'd rather I didn't do it, so now I think I'm subconsciously battling my "want" not need to dress because I don't want her to think I'm stressed again, I could explain to her I suppose we do communicate well and have a loving relationship so it's no big deal.

I just seem to have a bit of a dilemma, I want to dress but don't need to,,, do I give in and just dress for the sake of it or do I leave well alone and get my life back? When I was really stressed my dressing took over, every chance I got I'd dress and that was a lot, maybe I should just ignore it for a while and see what happens.
    Has anyone else gone through this?

Yep, I have went through it a lot. Dressing relieves my stress. My wife is accepting of my dressing and encourages me to dress. She knows it puts me in a better mood after a bad day at work.

Hi Leanne

I find that not dressing definitely is associated with increased feelings of stress and angst ... whether it's the other stress in my life not getting relieved or the stress of not dressing building up I can not say.

When I do have the opportunities to dress, I definitely feel more at ease, calmer. The BS from the day at work just sort of disappears. I find even when I don't dress, if I could* dress, I am better off. (* I don't often have the opportunity -- wife is in the 'no way jose' camp right now so I am able to dress only when she's away...)

Fran

I have dressed due to stress before as well. It was like an escape for me. I love dressing but when stressed it feels like a need not a want

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Not sure if this applies, Leanne? But, my alcoholic friends can't understand how I can have just one drink, then stop for the nite at a club or party? Or, why I won't start to drink until late afternoon.

When I want to dress, I NEED to dress! And, I do that whenever the impulse hits me. I guess that's how my booze happy friends feel?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Congratulations on getting a job that causes you no stress!
    Not a woman, I just enjoy looking and feeling like one now and then!

I dress to relieve stress also but still like to dress when I'm not stressed. So if you don't feel you need it for a while it's fine to take a break.
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

Without a doubt, I can be quite anxious a lot of the time, which is stressful, so getting dressed following work is such a comfort for me.

Kimber...x

I do what I can to avoid stress so I never really noticed. I did notice that my dressing frequency increases with more free time.

Whatever in your life is taking your interest for now is likely to subside and in a quieter moment dressing will return with a fury.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Aspiring Member
    I wouldn't say that I stress dress as such as I generally dress when I can, I don't have on times and off times, I'm always in an on time, however, if things get heated, say at work, then it's nice to look the other guy in the eye and think, "You know what, when I get home I'm going to slip on a cocktail dress and all of this will just fade away."

It you want to dress just do it. You don’t need to have a “need”. I’m going through HRT and can admit to myself that dressing for me isn’t even a need, it’s just a want. I think if you NEED to dress, then you have some deeper issues IMO. And by need, I mean the point where you will have a mental breakdown if you don’t do it.

Is it to relieve stress or, in my case, I become stressed when I don't dress.

I adore what Charlotte7 said below! I dress for pleasure, because I know it is the right thing for me to do. I feel so sweet and loving in a pretty dress. I would not have it any other way!
    Roxanne Lanyon
    As Sweet As I Can Ever Be

Silver Member
    Leanne, since your wife is supportive, tell her you want to dress, and ask her to pick out the clothes, and help dress you. Make it a game you can both enjoy.

Hi I am Fran and I love to dress.

I wear femme clothing because it to me is far more comfortable than men's clothing. I dress all of the time but I present as a man. I do not need to dress I just dress, it is very normal for me. I get up in the morning and put on panties, a skirt and some kind of a top (it might be a blouse or a "T" shirt, maybe a tank top depends on the weather), I try to match it with the skirt so they look good. I haven't worn pants in about 4 years now and don't intend to do so ever again.

I'm quite the opposite. When I'm stressed, the urge to dress goes away for me.

I like to dress on the regular. And when stressed, sometimes dressing a little more is a nice distraction. But I also have other stress coping mechanisms (variety is the spice of life ).

Silver Member
    Dressing definitely helps my stress big time, but my dressing is not limited to stressful times because I love to dress, it’s something that makes me feel nice and I feel comfortable and relaxed when dressed. I’ve had a great day at work today, it’s the weekend and I’m feeling good but the first thing I did when I got in was get dressed and that made me feel even happier

The one thing that would stress me is not being able to dress

I personally don’t stress dress... but I do dress when I get the chance! Which is probably about once a month. Having a wife and two young kids doesn’t allow many times for the house to myself.

Kim
    For me if I don't get to dress my once a month my anger comes out big time and every little thing stress me out.
    With my wife it's don't ask don't tell.

Hi Kim, same for me with DADT, except I can tell her I need a fix and she’ll make time to give me the house for a few hours. I recently asked her about hanging a dress in my closet (to see if she’s “progressing”) but it was a hard no; that it would be too in her face.