Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hoarders?

Banned Read only
    I have always been about quality over quantity so I don't get the whole hoarding thing. Do members here really wear or even just try on a piece of clothing that you have 100+ of? I do understand collecting and that seems to be something different. Collectors will be after a specific item because of craftsmanship, rarity, design, etc. and will do exhaustive search for just that particular item. In contrast, some members here have such massive amounts of something it seems they are just buying it because.

Compared to some (GG or otherwise) I probably have a large collection of shoes, lingerie, leggings, makeup, or whatever. But, nothing is added without a specific reason. Different leggings depending on type of activity or circumstance (floor based dancing, sweaty activities like boxing or martial arts, cold days...). Different shoes and lingerie to coordinate with particular clothing types.

I never buy anything just because it's cheap and it will expand my stash. Everything in my closet is pretty well edited and is the result of lots of trial and error.

Are people buying fashion items without thoughts to the way they will actually look on their own body?
    Last edited by kayla_bayarea; 11-02-2018 at 09:44 PM.

I can get OCD about stuff (CDing, Fantasy football, work) but hoarding is not a vice for me!

Three drawers of short shorts, four drawers of bikinis....yes, I’m a bit of a hoarder.
    Carries a spray bottle of "pink fog" around with her in her purse at all times.

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kayla_bayarea View Post
    I have always been about quality over quantity so I don't get the whole hoarding thing. Do members here really wear or even just try on a piece of clothing that you have 100+ of? I do understand collecting and that seems to be something different. Collectors will be after a specific item because of craftsmanship, rarity, design, etc. and will do exhaustive search for just that particular item. In contrast, some members here have such massive amounts of something it seems they are just buying it because.

Compared to some (GG or otherwise) I probably have a large collection of shoes, lingerie, leggings, makeup, or whatever. But, nothing is added without a specific reason. Different leggings depending on type of activity or circumstance (floor based dancing, sweaty activities like boxing or martial arts, cold days...). Different shoes and lingerie to coordinate with particular clothing types.

I never buy anything just because it's cheap and it will expand my stash. Everything in my closet is pretty well edited and is the result of lots of trial and error.

Are people buying fashion items without thoughts to the way they will actually look on their own body?
    Oh, I'm about quality, for sure.

Some people think I'm nuts for spending $XX on a really nice pair of work-out leggings. "But I could buy like 5 or 10 pairs for that much!" they exclaim.

Yeah, sorry... Definitely not the same. Those with a "fancy-leggings" obsession know what I'm talking about. HUGE difference in quality, most certainly.

Now, that doesn't mean I don't try to get them for as cheap as possible. But typically there's a price-floor for this kinda stuff. And if/when they ever hit that? BOOM! They get snatched up *very* quickly... Especially in the popular colors/prints/styles/sizes. You snooze, you lose. The nice-leggings game is definitely very competitive. And you don't want to get in the way of us girls!

Anyway, I estimate I own like 200+ pairs of leggings. And I keep buying more! Totally ridiculous, I know. Granted, not *all* of them are pricier high-quality ones, as I did find a manufacturer a while back who does a very good "cheapie" version of fashion prints, IMO. However, they're more of a cutesy soft-&-cozy style, as best I can describe them, and are better suited for colder weather while chilling out at home or something. I haven't purchased any of those in quite a while... Waiting til we get closer to winter, to break them out of storage, wear some again for a while -- and make my decision then.

I have a feeling, however, that I'm done buying any more of those (unless it's an absolute must-have print). One reason being, I'd rather have that extra money for some better-quality pairs!

And yeah... 200+ pairs of leggings? Only 365 days in a year. You do the math!

What makes matters even worse, is that I have a group of high-rotation favorites. Meaning, I wear them way more often than others. But believe it or not, I do wear them all, since I practically live in these things outside of work. Some just take longer getting around to.

And sometimes on my days off from work, depending on what's going on, or simply my mood, I may change out of one pair of leggings, and into another. So, that can help ensure that I get to them all... Eventually, LOL.

Finally, yes. Of course I buy only what I like. I tend to stick to a select core of several brands... While occasionally trying out a different brand that interests me, just to see & explore, then go from there.

And most definitely, I only buy what I think would look good on me. I know my tastes, I know my shades, and I know my body. As such, I like to claim that I'm never wrong on this.

Honestly, I don't look at it as hoarding, per se. I just have a major obsession with leggings! It's a fun (albeit somewhat expensive) hobby, one that I'm not so sure I'll ever get sick of... I mean, they just keep pumping out these things like crazy! Always bound to find *something* new that I like.

But, yeah. I lovingly refer to it as my leggings collection. Because that's what it is, truthfully. Not my "hoard."

Oh, and if I ever get around to finding a GF? *Total* jackpot for her, if we're more-or-less the same size in leggings. Since I've got so many freakin' pairs of these things, she's definitely more than welcome to "borrow" them!

Banned Read only
    Ellbee,

Do you actually workout in your leggings? I lovingly mock my friends who wear leggings all the time and don't even exercise at all. I am glad that they are fashionably acceptable as streetwear because I don't have to change after dance class or exercising and can just go about the rest of day (or even night).

Only a few of the pricey brands are worth it and I never pay full price either. I only buy them when I can stack discounts like on sale plus an additional 25% off. Otherwise I could never afford the brands that I like. I will no longer buy Lululemon because most of their stuff is garbage now. Ever since they moved production out of Vancouver they will just have the cheapest factory produce their clothing.

I buy Alala and Michi most of the time because they are still made in Canada, are tested by actual athletes/dancers, and are brands they are founded and still run by a woman. Lululemon seems to be the antithesis to these brands.

If you are interested in how leggins actually perform in addition to their looks I recommend these two blogs:
    http://www.agentathletica.com/
    http://schimiggy.com/

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    Actually, I *don't* work out in them!

I used to... Until I got a very physically-demanding job, giving me one heck of a full-body work-out, typically 50-70 hours a week.

So, yeah. I really have no need to, LOL. Seriously, this job has given me quite a nice lower-body.

So, I no longer work out, outside of work. I honestly don't want to, as I need my rest, and I really don't want to injure myself by pushing too hard. I get enough, believe me. Too much, in fact.

At best, when there are some rare slower weeks, and I have the time & energy, I'll enjoy a nice long neighborhood walk wearing 'em.

Otherwise, I find some nice firm compression leggings to do wonders for muscle recovery after work. Also sleep in them, for best results.

And trying to bring this thread back on track...

Working all these hours is totally a catch-22! I now make enough money to afford my ever-growing leggings collection -- yet I don't have as much time to wear 'em! Kind of a shame, really.

And no way in heck would I wear them at my testosterone-filled workplace, either!

Actually, I have been toying with the idea of wearing them *under* my jeans. I dunno, I may give that a whirl sometime, especially as winter approaches.

P.S. Thanks for your insight. There's a long-running activewear thread over in the Clothing sub-forum. Would love to hear more from you there!

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    I dont know if i qualify as a hoarder,I always have great plans for a clear out,but end up getting rid of very few things which leads to clothes etc being found everywhere,but I wouldn't say to any great excess.but rather a lack of storage space

In our house we do have that drawer,that probably everyone of us has,crammed with phone chargers,takeaway menu's,broken eyeglasses,assorted batteries etc etc that's probably only thing I'd say qualifies me as a hoarder

Sophie
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

I have a hard time letting things go but if I already have a bunch of something I am way pickier on getting new similar things. It keeps my hoarding to a level I am ok with.

I was talking to a woman last week who impulsively buys fancy gowns. She doesn’t wear them. And I think we all know women who have massive amounts of shoes. So it’s more of an issue with anyone who buys women’s clothes and not just us CDs

I might have become a hoarder, but my CD budget is very small, so I can't afford to have a surplus of fem clothes. It does mean that i have to shop with economy.
    There is a subtle difference between hoarding and storing. Things you actually use are stored, but things you don't use are hoarded.
    "The only way is onward. There is no turning back."

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    I have a lot of things, but I'm not a hoarder, just an accumulator/procrastinator. My late wife filled the basement with teaching and craft things and even though it looked like a hoarder stash, it was not. Her plans exceeded the time she had to do everything she wanted and she lacked organization. I've been going through things and slowly selling it off or giving it away.

My things are slowly being "curated" as I attempt to reduce the amount of stuff I'll have to deal with when I sell my house sometime next year. So even my clothing is being evaluated every now and then. There is a clothing swap coming up at the gender conference next weekend and I've got four bags, so far, that I'm taking in. The surprise for me is three of them are all men's ware and only one is full of women's things. That made me go "hummmmm".
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Didn't realize that I was a hoarder, I mean collector until we moved 2 years ago.
    I spend a lot of time in the closet, because that's where my clothes are.

Aspiring Member
    My name is Susan and I am a hoarder. I have around 1000 skirts, 984 dresses and about 2000 blouses/tops. My hoarding came first - I also do this with books and CDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Charles View Post
    There is a clothing swap coming up at the gender conference next weekend and I've got four bags, so far, that I'm taking in. The surprise for me is three of them are all men's ware and only one is full of women's things. That made me go "hummmmm".
    The problem with a clothing swap is that it is a swap, so you will bring back things in exchange.
    Rachel,

As a crossdresser my personality has several facets. Therefore, I suppose I can be forgiven for being facetious.

I'm a hoarder. Especially with shoes, I've gotten some pairs my size at a nice clearance sale price. I'm a hard-to- find size, so when I find pretty footwear that fit my tootsies, at a great price, I snap them up
    Stay inspired
    Amy