Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hoarders?

Hoarders?

What came first, the hoarding or the crossdressing?

I often read posts where members talk about their stash or boxes of clothes etc in the garage, cellar, attic etc or in storage units or second homes.

Yes some people talk about purging, but many mention rediscovering a favourite item which had been stored away for so long.

So, as crossdresser's are we hoarders by nature or has the crossdressing caused us to become hoarders?

My wife will confirm I am a hoarder and always have been. The bag of screws and wallplugs that come with an item that has the option to be wall mounted are put away with all the other such packs, as I believe that they may come in useful some day. My condition is improving but I am by no means cured - in the past year perhaps 4 pairs of shoes and a similar number of skirts have found their way to the bin or the local charity shop, if only to make space for more shoes and clothes.
    Rachel,

As a crossdresser my personality has several facets. Therefore, I suppose I can be forgiven for being facetious.

The Hoarder from my perspective!

Yet I'm a Collector!

Stacy!
    STOP, Well I just dance the way I feel
    Stop breathing imagine none of this is real

Well I just dance the way I feel
    "Ou Est Le Swimming Pool"

Aspiring Member
    I long ago reached 'peak wardrobe' and had to adopt and one in one out policy Not that I stick to it

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    "I'm Robert Sherry and, yes, I'm a hoarder."

I actually have been getting rid of a lot of my old junk to make room for Sherry's clothing and new story props. However, I've found a lot of the old crap I've had around for countless years comes in handy for sets and props for Sherry's stories!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I am not a hoarder, just frugal in my waste management. :-)

Clothing wise, it is an investment to acquire clothing and keep it as it becomes dated and retro clothing is in fashion STILL!

Sherry, you are tarred with the same brush that those north of the Boulevard are, Hollywood lots have lots of hoarders. :-)
    Last edited by Beverley Sims; 11-01-2018 at 11:47 AM.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Read only
    The hording comes first. If you are a horder you will hord. If you are not then you probably won't.

What the horded items are is irrelevant to whether or not you will hord, they just have to seem valuable to you.
    Last edited by Robertacd; 11-01-2018 at 11:54 AM.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I have a lot of clothes and nuts and bolts but not a hoarder.

It's easy not to be a hoarder if you have enough money to keep replacing stuff you need, that you have thrown away in the past. My mom saved almost everything, but drew the line at most broken things. That usually went out in the trash....usually. A few things that were broken she saved, in order to give to ME to fix them for her because 'they were too valuable to just throw away. Vacuums and other appliances, watches, clocks, anything that could conceivably be fixed (but would cost too much in her cheap mind for HER to pay for), got put away so she could have me do it. After she died, I found lots more stuff, packed away in the attic, in boxes, with notes written on top describing what parts of them didn't work. I did and estate sale thing and sold everything.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

If you like shopping at thrift stores it is relatively easy to become a hoarder (and not even know it).

I try to limit my collection so, every once in a while, the great purge is a necessity.

Styles change every few years! Hoarding is antithetical to my inner fashion maven.

I'm the opposite of a hoarder and sometimes get rid of things I wish I hadn't. I want my red dress back!!
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    I prefer the term "collecting."

Hoarder here.Went so long without Michelle having her own clothes that I hate to get rid of any .Have boxes that I haven't used in a year or more .We moved 2 years ago and I threw out any that didn't fit comfortable but can't bring myself to throw out the rest.
    If I knew where it was going to take me I probably would have put my mother's panties back.

Platinum Member
    Not a hoarder, not even close. More toward the opposite side of the spectrum...ie, if I haven’t used it in a year, I can live without it.

come to think about it....that pretty much reflects my ex’s attitude towards me!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Yes, I am definitely a hoarder of my womanly things.
    Hugs, Carole

Gold Member
    I must admit, I do have a lot of clothes that I do not wear anymore. I have been meaning to thin out some of the extras I have.
    I bet I have some 50 bra's, and only use about 12 or so on a regular bases.
    Well Spring cleaning just might start early this year.
    rader

You should see my "Dynasty" shoulder pads outfits collection from the 80's. Yeah, I definitely need to do a clear out.

Rubbermaid made a fortune from me buying 25 gallon storage containers.
    If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.

I am NOT a hoarder, I will NEVER be a hoarder. I lived with a true hoarder for years (yes, just like on the show).

My femme wardrobe is neatly hung up in the closet just like my male clothes.

Sorry about the rant there, hoarding is a bit of a hot button for me.

Not a hoarder,
    Wanting something is a fantasy which on a long time period clouds your mind and makes you think you need it.

Rayleen

The avvy pic isn't me
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth G View Post
    Sorry about the rant there, hoarding is a bit of a hot button for me.
    I hadn't said anything yet because i'm trying to be a kinder and nicer lady, and I know the OP didn't intend anything with the terminology, but it should prolly be noted that hoarding is classified as a mental disorder. In fact, like alcohol and substance addiction, it is a disease.
    No, not deadly like the other, but not really something to be joking about either.

Cass

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    I don't have the space in my house to be a hoarder even if I wanted to be. My hobbies take up all the space. I have got some clothes I wouldn't miss though.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

Platinum Member
    What would my wife say if she found out I have 162 dresses and hundred of slips and more than 200 panties? She'd say I'm nuts. Probably so. In some respects I view woman's clothing as an art form. Yes, most women do not even wear slips let alone amass them. I was told many years ago by a middle age sales associate that women do not put too much emphasis on their undergarments. Special occasions, yes. Day to day, no. I do not have the opportunity to be en femme as often as I would like. Viewing and buying lovely dresses and slips and different colors of undergarments is a way to keep connected with my desire to be en femme more often. Call it "retail therapy." I really do not call it a compulsive disorder. Is a collector of stamps or coins suffering from a compulsive disorder? I think not. So it is with me also. That is the reason why I do not dispose of some dresses or slips I acquired a long time ago. I love the prints. When I was a kid in elementary school I did indulge in art; drawing and painting. My love of art has just carried on in a different manner.

I definitely have my share of "things" that I "collect, but I wouldn't be considered a hoarder. I can easily throw away things that haven't been used in a while or toss things that I haven't worn to make room for something new.
    The only area my wife would disagree would be in lingerie. I may have a few pair of panties more than I should...I think... Is 125 pair too many??
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie47 View Post
    What would my wife say if she found out I have 162 dresses and hundred of slips and more than 200 panties? She'd say I'm nuts. Probably so. In some respects I view woman's clothing as an art form. Yes, most women do not even wear slips let alone amass them. I was told many years ago by a middle age sales associate that women do not put too much emphasis on their undergarments. Special occasions, yes. Day to day, no. I do not have the opportunity to be en femme as often as I would like. Viewing and buying lovely dresses and slips and different colors of undergarments is a way to keep connected with my desire to be en femme more often. Call it "retail therapy." I really do not call it a compulsive disorder. Is a collector of stamps or coins suffering from a compulsive disorder? I think not. So it is with me also. That is the reason why I do not dispose of some dresses or slips I acquired a long time ago. I love the prints. When I was a kid in elementary school I did indulge in art; drawing and painting. My love of art has just carried on in a different manner.
    Stephanie,
    For years I've been quite envious of the number of slips you have. I love slips and have tens of them, not hundreds like you. How do you manage to keep them out of your wife's eye, as I understand, she's not very supportive?
    GeorgeA
    formerly Salerba

"a miad" Man-in-a-Dress

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie47 View Post
    Day to day, no. I do not have the opportunity to be en femme as often as I would like. Viewing and buying lovely dresses is a way to keep connected with my desire to be en femme more often. Call it "retail therapy." I really do not call it a compulsive disorder.
    Yes, I have a retail therapy problem. But, right now, I've got it down to be cheaper than real therapy on a monthly basis.
    Last edited by Sometimes Steffi; 11-02-2018 at 09:43 PM.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.