Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Borrowing" my wife's clothes

"Borrowing" my wife's clothes

Symbolic language develops between close groups of people. You say a thing but everyone who’s “in” knows it means something else and gets the reference. This is especially true with lovers. It develops into its own love language. I can say to my wife “chip me up off the floor” and it will send her into peels of laughter. I’d explain it, but it wouldn’t be funny or meaningful to anyone but us.

Well, my wife had offered that I could raid her closet as it suits me. Thankfully, she and I are roughly the same size so a lot of things would fit! Unfortunately, her style is more “Boho chic” where I’m more “Retro vintage”. Plus, I would be horrified if I borrowed something she were planning to wear the next day or if I inadvertently damaged a favorite of hers.

However, every so often I spy something that I *NEED* to wear of hers! When I do, I say “Honey, I am “borrowing” this” (complete with hands held up to make air quotes).

“Borrowing” in this context … the context of our love language … means: “Honey, you never wear this, it’s not really your style anyway, I think it would look really cute on me, so I’m now taking it and you’re never getting it back.”
    Well, why not? She’s “borrowed” a number of my t-shirts over the years. A few pair of pajama pants as well. I can’t recall ever owning a pair of slippers for more than a week before she’s commandeered them.

Got to the point where I borrowed (no quotes) a necklace from her and had to explain “I mean *really* borrow, I’ll put it back later.” She countered with “That’s okay, you keep it, I never wear that one anymore.

I’m not too proud for hand-me-downs!

I love the give and take between the two of you. Congratulations to you both. It sounds like you have the communication thing down.
    I am a vessel of the goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.

Gold Member
    My Wife and I where way apart on sizes, I was about 3 sizes larger then her.
    Now she like to wear my Flannel shirts in the winter time, and that was OK
    by me. She also came to me when she needed some Pantyhose, that she
    was out of, as I always had a few extra's stored in my drawer.
    My Wife did pick out things for me to wear from the catalog. It was fun to
    get surprise packages in the mail.
    Rader

Rader, that's too cool! My birthday is coming up, and I know she has picked up a few things to surprise me with

My wife is accepting but not encouraging of my CDing. To that point I still keep my things in storage in the garage and she doesn’t want me wearing her clothes (although I can’t fit in most of her things anyways because of my shoulders!).

Good for her to be open with sharing with you, Macey!!

Silver Member
    Nice story, Macey. It warms the heart to know such reciprocity is possible.

Good for you Macey! I'm happy to say I know that feeling and it's just the best. I once had a girlfriend that was accepting and she would let me borrow some stuff every now and then. But after I ruined a couple of her clothes, my first thought was that she was not going to be OK with me grabbing her stuff anymore. It surprised me when her reaction was something like "This can't keep happening, we need to get you clothes of your own." And so we did. She would give me some of her stuff that she wouldn't wear any more and occasionally, when getting groceries, we would go to the clothing section and look for something for the both of us. I'm happy you are at that place with your wife, that level of intimacy is just heaven.

Macey, Hand me downs from my wife are some of my favorite things. It also reinforces that she is good with your girly side. A win win. Crissy

What a great arrangement, at least you can swap and wear.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

My wife has been working on herself the last two years and we now wear the same size tops and dresses. So what does that mean? Let me tell you, it's different!!!

When I'm at a store trying on a dress, I'll make a decision with her in mind - will she want to wear it, too?
    If I come home before her and leave the clothing out, she almost always tries it on. Haha, so it's fun that way.

I've received texts saying she "borrowed " my dress because it suited the event she's attending. Or, "I didn't have any black pantyhose of my own, so I found a pair of yours. Hope that's ok?" She's borrowed scarves, camisoles, dresses, tights, and blouses. BUT there's economy in sharing a wardrobe.

NEVER IN MY LIFE, would I have imagined not only marrying someone who accepts me the way I am but also shares my clothes.

DOWNSIDE: When she borrows something vintage, I worry she's going to spill something on it. She can be messy lol.
    They/Them
    I love dressing as a woman.

Years ago, when our older son got married, we went shopping for my wife, and found a really nice pant suit for her to wear to the wedding - she hates wearing dresses. When we got home and she tried it on with various shoes (all flats - she's not a fashion-forward lady!) I suggested that a necklace would really finish the look. She tried a couple of her old lockets, but they were all gold, and didn't really go with the suit, so I grabbed one of my sterling silver/cubic zirconia necklaces and fastened it around her neck - it looked great on her! Now, whenever she needs an accessory to finish her outfit she asks for "our necklace"!
    Ambigendrous
    Wealth should not be measured by how much you have, but by how little you need - anon

Nice to expand closet options. My wife has given me a few things that she was ready to depart with and has said if they fit you are welcome to have them. I have a pretty blouse and skirt I loved seeing her in and told her I loved how she looked wearing it but she said she was tired of them so they did fit me, I do love her style and I think my style is strongly influenced by her. She also has offered to loan me some jewelry when I have gone places and even picked out recommendations. We also have offered up pantyhose if one of us is needing a pair. It has been wonderful to talk and share.

It's really nice when you and your wife are close in size and can borrow each other's clothes. I used to borrow my wife's clothes all the time (with her permission). Once the kids grew up and moved out we started getting me my own selection of everything girly. Now we only occasionally borrow each other's things. We went shopping recently and she bought me four dresses. There is one in particular she likes to wear to work. I get a kick out of knowing she's wearing it when she tells me her coworkers like the dress.
    Connie

Banned Read only
    I have borrowed lots of my wife's stuff like that, she knows she is welcome to anything in my closet and that is the first place she looks if she can't find something.

My wife and I are about the same size. I have commandeered some hand-me-downs that she was getting rid of.
    She let's me borrow her things, but only because she doesn't like me buying stuff. She considers it a waste for me to buy clothes for me.
    I don't mind borrowing, but I don't want to wear something that she may want to wear before the next wash day. And neither of us knows what she will want to wear next.
    I buy some things with the thought that she would like to wear it. Often those things find their way to her side of the closet.

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    Think we're rather different,for when we first dated my wife really didn't have that extensive a wardrobe,so quite soon after she moved in,her closet seemed to grow,as she took a liking to much of my wardrobe i never objected as i was quite chuffed that she obviously thought I had decent taste in clothes.I do seem to have inherited most of her dresses,and wore them out on many nice ocassions.as she is more a trousers and tshirt/jumper kinda girl these days

Sophie
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

You all make me jealous. I am a single hermit. No one borrows my stuff and I have no one to barrow from.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

I wore a pair of my wife jeans today around the house I don't think she even noticed if she did she didn't say anything.

I once lent a skirt to my wife. A few weeks later one of my daughters asked my wife if she could borrow "that new skirt". As it was, my wife did not have explain the need to go to my wardrobe to find it, because it was in the laundry.
    Rachel,

As a crossdresser my personality has several facets. Therefore, I suppose I can be forgiven for being facetious.

Quote Originally Posted by RachelPortugal View Post
    I once lent a skirt to my wife. A few weeks later one of my daughters asked my wife if she could borrow "that new skirt". As it was, my wife did not have explain the need to go to my wardrobe to find it, because it was in the laundry.
    LOL Love it when things come together even if it wasn't planned.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

I'm GLAM! and my wifes colour choices (Black) will never cut it!

We should all choose our own style!

Being a Glammed up Drag Queen has made me realise that!
    Stacy!
    STOP, Well I just dance the way I feel
    Stop breathing imagine none of this is real

Well I just dance the way I feel
    "Ou Est Le Swimming Pool"

Stacy, darling, you are 100% on that one! I love my wife's style … on my wife! I set out to make sure that if I was going to crossdress, it was going to be my own style! Naturally, though, a couple of things from my wife's "side" drift over to mine. Usually the more stylistically 'neutral' casual items. At any rate, when herself and I are on-line shopping together, we each have an eye on what works for the other. "oh, that is totally you!" Occasionally, one will say "what do you think of this?" And the other will reply "for you, or for me?" Lol

Reality Check
    My wife has told me several times that I am welcome to wear her clothes. I do once in a while but in reality, I have more than enough of my own. She loves to shop and picks things out for me when we are together and often brings things home for me when she shops by herself.
    Krisi

Quote Originally Posted by Leonora View Post
    I wore a pair of my wife jeans today around the house I don't think she even noticed if she did she didn't say anything.
    My wife has never forgiven me, not that I was to blame, for the time she took a pair of jeans from our shared wardrobe (we only had a very small flat at the time) and could not get them past her thighs, they were mine and were a size or two smaller than hers. She always liked the idea of wearing men's shirts around the home, but mine were never big enough.
    Rachel,

As a crossdresser my personality has several facets. Therefore, I suppose I can be forgiven for being facetious.

My wife and I don't really share clothes often. We each have our own styles but she did give me some hand me down jeans recently. Perfect with boots for fall. We have an extensive connection of yoga pants that we both pick from.