Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Walking in heels - I still walk like a man

Walking in heels - I still walk like a man

I have tried to figure out the leg crossing over thing and swinging my hips, but i nearly fall down when I try. Do any of you have a way to walk in heels that makes you feel more feminine ... that doesn't risk your life trying?
    Veronica

Love who you are! You are uniquely you!!

Practice the motion in flats (for now). Don't over exaggerate, stand up straight (good posture helps). At first, consciously think of leading with the hips and not the shoulders. Don't worry as much about crossing over, just take shorter steps rather than long strides. Imagine a line in front of you and let your feet land on that line as you walk. Posture, line with shorter steps, lead from the hips. The motion should build from there.

When you sense that you're doing it right, keep doing it! Muscle memory is important! If you do it 'wrong' ten times, then finally dk it 'right', don't stop for the evening, keep going until you've done it 'right' more times than 'wrong' so that the muscles remember the movements.

Great tips, Macey! Thank you!
    Veronica

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    The opposite of what Macey said! 4"+ spike heels force u to take short mincing steps. Swinging your hips and arms comes with practice.

I find looking at my reflection in store windows as I stride by really helps me fem my steps!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Banned Read only
    Do NOT cross one foot in front of the other like you are walking on a runway. Women do not walk like this on the street and you will just drawn attention to yourself. Your feet should walk on TWO narrow lines right besides each other. Your entire leg (from thighs to knees to ankles) should almost brush past each other. Use your core to initiate the movement to send your knee straight forward and make your movements relaxed. Instead of forcing your hip to swing from side to side think of it as just letting your hip do that naturally. In other words, don't tense up your hips/buttocks. Your opposite hip (e.g. left hip to right leg going forward) will naturally be "pushed" to the side the most when the opposite foot touches the ground.

Take natural strides, don't artificially shorten them. And again, do not walk on one line like people here keep suggesting. If you don't believe me just sit down at place with a lot of foot traffic and observe how women REALLY walk.

Thank you, docrobbysherry!

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by kayla_bayarea View Post
    Do NOT cross one foot in front of the other like you are walking on a runway. Women do not walk like this on the street and you will just drawn attention to yourself. Your feet should walk on TWO narrow lines right besides each other. Your entire leg (from thighs to knees to ankles) should almost brush past each other. Use your core to initiate the movement to send your knee straight forward and make your movements relaxed. Instead of forcing your hip to swing from side to side think of it as just letting your hip do that naturally. In other words, don't tense up your hips/buttocks. Your opposite hip (e.g. left hip to right leg going forward) will naturally be "pushed" to the side the most when the opposite foot touches the ground.

Take natural strides, don't artificially shorten them. And again, do not walk on one line like people here keep suggesting. If you don't believe me just sit down at place with a lot of foot traffic and observe how women REALLY walk.
    Thank you, Kayla!
    Veronica

4" heel is a little high to start 2" or 3" are better till you feel better walking in them. I can walk in 3" heels all day but go to 4" heels and 2 hrs is the best I can do. But you need to practice.
    GLENDA
    I FEEL LIKE A WOMAN

Quote Originally Posted by Glenda58 View Post
    4" heel is a little high to start 2" or 3" are better till you feel better walking in them. I can walk in 3" heels all day but go to 4" heels and 2 hrs is the best I can do. But you need to practice.
    Glenda, I have 2" heels. I found 3" too much pressure on the front of my foot. I'm 210 lbs., so that's a lot of weight on the forefoot.
    Veronica

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Roni, I know a number girls that r over 200 lbs. and walk quite fem in hi heels. But, they r also over 6' tall!

I also know a number of larger girls. They prefer flats, (anything with under 3 1/2" heels I consider flats). And, I can't recall any of them "walking like women" in heels do. I suggest u follow Kayla's advice and copy women walking in flats for safety's sake!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    Roni, I know a number girls that r over 200 lbs. and walk quite fem in hi heels. But, they r also over 6' tall!

I also know a number of larger girls. They prefer flats, (anything with under 3 1/2" heels I consider flats). And, I can't recall any of them "walking like women" in heels do. I suggest u follow Kayla's advice and copy women walking in flats for safety's sake!
    Thank you, Sis!
    Veronica

Veronica, practice, it doesn't happen overnight.

I often get picked up for my skill in wearing high heeled shoes and boots.

It is not really a skill but lots of experience in wearing them.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Thank you, Kayla
    Great description of how to walk "correctly", naturally and with femininity. Also, one does not need to have heels on to practice your technique. Jaye

I found that walking slower and taking shorter steps work. I practiced on my tile floor so I had a straight line to keep my feet closer together. Just one foot on each side of the line. Posture is important. Shoulders back, chest out, head high. I dont think here height is important to start with. Use whatever. If you want something high, but it hurts too much, use a wedge.

If you keep your hands at your hips, it will keep your shoulders from moving and help make your hips move.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Hi Veronica

I’ll reiterate what Kayla said and add... go watch women walk in “real life”. As the great yogi may have said, “you can observe a lot just by watchin’”.
    Don’t try to emulate a fashion runway strut ... unless you’re on a fashion runway ;-)

Good luck
    Fran

Veronica
    This might help I found it a long time ago.
    https://www.biomotionlab.ca/Demos/BMLwalker.html
    Connie

Don't forget your arm position.
    Men walk like they are carrying a briefcase in each hand. Elbows are turned in to the body making an arch on each side.
    Women have elbows turned out slightly almost showing their palms.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Thank you for all of the great tips! You gurls are awesome!!
    Veronica

I honestly have watched many women walk, on purpose. To see how they walk, especially the more "feminine" ones. Creepy. I know! But I had to see it in real life.
    Almost no woman walks how people on the Internet say they walk.
    Most of them walk just like me, and I know that my walk is anything but feminine!
    Some do walk that "cat walk", one foot infront of the other walk, but it's done in a real subtle way. It's really not forced.
    I guess the safe way would be to walk a lighter, more feminine version of your normal walk.
    At least that's how I would do it!

I would disagree with Kayla who said to not shorten your steps. In order to properly transition from walking in flats to heels, you’ll have to shorten your stride. Heels were designed for your whole foot to come down at once, not heel first like you would with athletic shoes.

IMHO here’s the best thing you can do for yourself to learn to walk in heels: walk WITHOUT the heels. You can do this barefoot or in sneakers or athletic shoes. Stand in one spot, upright with proper posture. Then, lift your heels a couple of inches off the ground. Now try to walk without letting your heels touch the floor. You’ll notice that if you try to walk “wrong” it just won’t work. If you don’t keep your feet close enough together, you’ll get a ship-on-the-ocean, side-to-side wobble that’s not cute. You’ll also notice that you won’t be able to maintain your “guy stride” without leaning forward to some degree. Only by shortening your steps will you be able to maintain your proper posture while walking. It’s a little trite and old fashioned, but putting a book on your head and trying to balance it there will really emphasize how your stride effects your posture, which in turn is important to walking in heels.
    Last edited by Micki_Finn; 11-07-2018 at 01:07 PM.

Here's what I did this morning - I set up my cell phone to record my walk in 2 inch heels. I shortened my stride to put the heel and forefoot down about the same time, exaggerated, my hip swing, moved my shoulders a lot more, swung my arms accordingly, and almost had a feminine stride! The movement of my top was fun to watch, too! Thank you, gurls, for all of the advice!!!
    Last edited by Veronica4me; 11-08-2018 at 10:19 AM.
    Veronica

Ask the same question to ten different crossdressers, get twelve different answers

So glad you're getting tips from all of the wonderful advice and learning what works for YOU!

Personally I've been hesitant to try heels. Not only because my feet are big-ish, but I'm already tall. I'll stick to flats for now I think...

Try the heels! I'm pretty tall, usually stick with flats, but it's still a good experience to have and a good skill to learn (walking in them, I mean). I wear a women's size 15 … sad to say choices are limited, but you can still get cute shoes in that size

Macey, Pleasers goes up to a size 15, but you probably already knew that. They have some pretty shoes, too! I'm about to buy these in a 14, and they go up to 16:
    Shoes.jpg
    Here is the link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/PLEASER-Hig...r=541236332401
    Veronica