Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Walking in heels - I still walk like a man

Thanks, I have a couple of Pleasers and I love them! Looking for some more casual shoes … or just more choices in general. Again, I love my Pleasers, but sometimes shoes in this size tend to be a little fetishy. No matter, some cute choices on Amazon as well. I'll get there eventually

FYI - I wear a men's 12 1/2 and fit into a lot of the size 13's at Payless.
    Veronica

Love who you are! You are uniquely you!!

Hmmm … maybe their 14's would fit me

Don't know if they go to size 14, but it's worth a trip to the store.
    Veronica

The thing I have noticed is that a 4" heel for a size 15 foot is the same angle as a 3" heel on a size 8 foot.
    We with the bigger feet should be able to wear the high heels.
    Try doing this. Measure the length from the ball of your foot to the center of your heel.
    Find a GG friend with size 6 or size 8 shoe.
    Measure her foot just like you did yours.
    on a piece of paper place a base line across the paper with the line being greater then your longest measured length. Near one edge mark a point. This is the common point (the ball of the foot point).
    Measure your length on the base line and mark it.
    Also measure the friends length on the base line. Now draw a line four inches above your base line for the full length of your base line.
    Using a compass, inscribe two archs with point of the compass located at the common point and the other point starting at the heel point on your base line arching up to intersect the 4" line.
    Draw two lines, each starting from the intersection point downto the common point.
    Using a half circle compass, measure the angle of the slanted lines between the base line and the common point
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Micki_Finn View Post
    I would disagree with Kayla who said to not shorten your steps. In order to properly transition from walking in flats to heels, you’ll have to shorten your stride. Heels were designed for your whole foot to come down at once, not heel first like you would with athletic shoes.
    I said not to "artificially" shorten your stride. Your choice of shoes will dictate how small you take your steps. You should not take tiny steps all the time because you will look ridiculous. Everyone has a different natural stride and to artificially shorten it to look more feminine will make you look unnatural. A 6 foot runway model will not be walking the same as a girl who is 5 foot tall.

Obviously walking in 4 inch stilettos will make you take smaller steps but that happens because of biomechanics. Taking tiny steps when you are wearing sneakers because you think it will make you look girly will instead make you negatively stand out.

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    For what it's worth I started with a 6 inch heel with no platform and mastered it in about a month around the house. after that it couldn't wait to get out. it's not necessarily better to start with a low heel. Even now I find a 2 or 3 inch heel very awkward to walk in. It's more of a wedge where a higher heel puts you more on the ball of your foot pushing down in a straighter Direction. It's like walking on your tippy-toes but you have a heel in the back for support. Yes the ball of your foot will get tired faster but it's not jamming the toes into the front of the shoe all the time. Decide for yourself. Just saying starting with a lower heel isn't necessarily better as long as you can reasonably manage starting out in the higher heel. I've never been a fan of crossing over one leg in front of the other. That's more of a catwalk thing, model on the runway deal. I strive for walking with my feet as close together as reasonably possible without scuffing the sides on each other. I think this makes a nice compromise without looking overly exaggerated. When I'm walking on a tiled floor with the typical one square foot tiles my goal would be to keep both feet within the one square of tile don't try to push it like you're walking on a tightrope. To me that's too much. Most importantly get shoes that fit properly and are somewhat comfortable. That will make a great difference in your walk. Loosen your upper body. Men tend to walk like robots. Men also lean forward and lead with their shoulders. Women lead with their waist. I have other thoughts but that was in another post so I'll stop here.
    Last edited by Genifer Teal; 11-07-2018 at 08:26 PM.

Practice a lot. For me the taller heels are easier. All of mine are 4" or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Genifer Teal View Post
    For what it's worth I started with a 6 inch heel with no platform and mastered it in about a month around the house. after that it couldn't wait to get out. it's not necessarily better to start with a low heel. Even now I find a 2 or 3 inch heel very awkward to walk in. It's more of a wedge where a higher heel puts you more on the ball of your foot pushing down in a straighter Direction. It's like walking on your tippy-toes but you have a heel in the back for support. Yes the ball of your foot will get tired faster but it's not jamming the toes into the front of the shoe all the time. Decide for yourself. Just saying starting with a lower heel isn't necessarily better as long as you can reasonably manage starting out in the higher heel. I've never been a fan of crossing over one leg in front of the other. That's more of a catwalk thing, model on the runway deal. I strive for walking with my feet as close together as reasonably possible without scuffing the sides on each other. I think this makes a nice compromise without looking overly exaggerated. When I'm walking on a tiled floor with the typical one square foot tiles my goal would be to keep both feet within the one square of tile don't try to push it like you're walking on a tightrope. To me that's too much. Most importantly get shoes that fit properly and are somewhat comfortable. That will make a great difference in your walk. Loosen your upper body. Men tend to walk like robots. Men also lean forward and lead with their shoulders. Women lead with their waist. I have other thoughts but that was in another post so I'll stop here.
    Wow! Six inch heels must be like your foot is vertical, isn't it?
    Veronica

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    Maybe with tiny feet. It's that whole triangle thing. As the hypotenuse grows the slope is reduced.

here is a graphic to support my discussion.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Leslie Mary S; 11-09-2018 at 01:51 PM.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

Oh to be an English Rose Jane G's Avatar
    Interesting thread. I have never worn higher Han a 3 inch heel, as that puts me at 6 ft 7 inches. Looking at some of those taller heels on line these days though I am tempted.

https://www.biomotionlab.ca/Demos/BMLwalker.html Interesting link on how men and women walk...
    Last edited by ronniegirl; 11-09-2018 at 08:04 PM.

Aspiring Member
    Veronica4me

Try and find a shoe where the heel curves in so the part of the heel that contacts the floor is closer to your toes. This transfers more weight from the front (toes) to the back (heel) of the foot. Think about it if you carried this out to the extreme there would be no weight on the toes or ball of the foot, it could be all on the heel. I never saw shoes like this, just using an extreme to maybe make it easier to picture and understand. Shoes with the heel going straight down from the back of your heel put more weight on the ball of the foot. Sherrii

OK, I bought my first pair pair of Pleasers stilettos in hot pink. I'm just trying to walk across the room, and I nearly fall down. Looks like I need a lot of practice. Come on, Veronica!!!
    Veronica

Aspiring Member
    Veronica, I love the style of the shoes you posted earlier. That is the style heel I refer to in my post above. It not places the heel contact area more under the foot, the classic curves just look good. Possibly the curves mimic the curves in a hip and thigh? I have always liked just the style in your picture above. Heel shape and overall proportion of the heel, height, style, etc. seem to all come together and look right. Sherrii

I found this photo of the lovely Gwyneth Paltrow walking in high heels. Ooo, la, la!!!

gwyneth_paltrow-59.jpg
    Veronica

Got my first pair of 3" pumps 2 weeks ago, and really struggling with just keeping my balance in them. Yesterday I decided to wear them while walking the dog (in the pre-dawn darkness -- no one to see me). Big mistake! I still need something to hang onto when I start to lose my balance. I ended up taking a spill, scraping my hand and bruising my butt!

My technique is a lot of short practice sessions to strengthen muscles so I have the strength to maintain my balance. I started with 45mm heels and got some 75mm (3 inch) size 7 heels a few weeks ago. Yesterday I was able to cook breakfast, pancakes and bacon, wearing high heels. I also got up a flight of stairs using the handrails for assistance. I've been practicing on a short area rug on concrete. Every now and then the heel will catch on the rug for a balance test.
    Last edited by Maid_Marion; 11-11-2018 at 03:08 PM.

When I was learning how to walk in heels I would watch women how they do it. And I must echo what has been said before; to this very day I have never seen a single woman out there walk like the internet would have you believe. Moreover, when I asked my female friends they usually mocked the models on the runway. Even those that liked heels would say that they would feel like a caricature walking like that.

Anyway, wearing heels I usually make shorter steps and walk slower. It sure looks different than my ordinary way of walking, but not that much. Having ballet flats or sneakers, I walk like I do in my male shoes.

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    You must not have had enough experience walking in different pairs of heels-----In some pairs I can't even stand up in, much less walk and others --even 4 inch ones, I can walk as easily and smooth as if I were wearing flats.-----The trouble is likely not YOU, but the shoes themselves. SOME are not designed correctly or not as good as others. The heel has to be precisely in the correct place under the foot ---not too far up front or too far back(or to the side)---channeling your weight in a straight line to the floor. The weight distribution of your body may differ than that of another person (male or female) also, but you will discover simply that some shoes lack the proper engineering to properly support ANYBODY.----That is why it is important to try DIFFERENT shoes, not only those that FIT, but those that are also properly designed. I dare say that even many GGs might have some shoes that require a balancing act to walk in, but do it anyway for fashion's sake.

I used online reviews to choose which shoes to start off with. I've never gone wrong by picking something that is both affordable and popular to start off with.

I highly recommend someone videotaping you while you practice. The other day I asked my wife to do this while we were out. It was late and we were outside. We were coming back from a pub. I walked ahead of her and she followed me. In my mind I was “passable”. Sadly, when I reviewed the recording the next day, I realized how naive I was. On the other hand, it allowed me to identify my limitations - especially when walking in 4” tight shoes.

Many of us have nice and slim legs but then our shoulders are “too broad” and out of proportion with the bottom. This is a huge tell-tell. This also causes us to walk a bit akward. Being in NYC I see some GG wearing high heels and struggle but they “look cute” because they are feminine. Same scenario but someone with broad shoulders and more masculine top will look like a CD and will be noticeable from across the street.

Lesson here - I don’t know - I still like my high heels. Lol
    Seriously though - practice and also be mindful of how you dress. Next time I will try to experiment with a more casual look when going out. Leave the tight black leggings and 4” shoes at home. Lol.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Yes but look at her proportions. If she had the same legs but broad shoulders and big hands she would look much less adorable.

I don't walk in heels enough to walk with feminine grace. I just try to reduce the manliness in my posture and walk. With all of the opposing advice you're getting, your best bet is try different things and video tape it.

There's a beautiful blonde I've seen in magazines that I really adore. Her name is Betty
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Banned Read only
    When I have a full day of Stephanie time ( 7 hours) or a longer 24/7 for a week I wear a three inch narrow heel around the house. It was a learning experience. Like any thing else you brain ends up accommodating the shoe until you do not notice or think about wearing the heel. I watch women on the television weather forecasts and news who walk across the sets. Some have very high heels and walk with total ease. It's practice and developing the muscles to counteract strain. I found the surface upon which I walk has a great deal on choice of foot wear. Evening strolls on concrete sidewalks are a challenge. I can work around the home all day without any discomfort. The relative thin soles and a narrow heels wreck havoc with my feet. For evening strolls on concrete I found a wedge with deadening sole material and a two inch heel is comfortable.

I do agree to shorten a stride to the extent it looks unnatural will draw attention. I see some Youtube videos that are dead giveaways it is a MtF crossdresser. If you're challenged to shortening your stride perhaps wearing a tighter fitting skirt or dress will confine the upper legs more and force you to shorten the stride.

If you like to take evening strolls and are overly concerned with arm swing perhaps carrying something across your chest like a small bag of groceries will eliminate any swinging motion. Or carrying a shoulder bag held close to the chest.

Many times when I do go for a stroll I choose an evening with gently falling rain. I carry a tote and hold an umbrella. That also eliminate arm swing and does conceal some visuals of my six foot height.