Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Referring to fem self in third person.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Referring to fem self in third person.

Why do some members choose to refer to their female names from a 3rd person perspective rather than saying Me or I? I just find it odd because in the real world, referring to yourself in 3rd person is usually viewed as strange, but it’s very common on this site.

Do you see your fem self as a seperate identity? Or is it more just to help reaffirm your fem self by using the name as much as possible? Would saying Me or I be leaning uncomfortably close towards being transgender which I know many here are not?

I understand in a drag (queen) situation, where you are actively pretending to be somebody your not, but I even see some girls on the TS forum referring to themselves in 3rd person which I just don’t understand.

So, why do you refer to your fem self in 3rd person?
    Last edited by Kas; 11-10-2018 at 03:30 AM.

I do not recall doing so myself intentionally, but I will not swear on that.

If I am out shopping in male mode with my wife, she will say that a dress or a pair of shoes would suit Rachel. So, when writing about such incidents it is easy to fall into the trap and continue writing about one's alter ego in the third person, much the same as Clarke Kent would talk about Superman. Although he needed to conceal his secret identity, but on this forum we are all "out" to each other, if not in the real world.
    Rachel,

As a crossdresser my personality has several facets. Therefore, I suppose I can be forgiven for being facetious.

Kas, as someone who is 'guilty' of that, its really simple. I do it for clarity of posts... I am Becky, she is me, but when posting about that part of my life its often easier and clearer to refer to her as another person.
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

Kas,

I find it understandable as so many of us live what are effectively 2 lives. There's our day to day male existance and depending upon personal circumstance our femme persona.

I can understand that perhaps the very fact that we're conversing here on the forum places us in that femme persona and therefore using the first person makes sense. However if we're describing events in the real world then it's possible we need to distinguish between our two existances.

Now I know this will have some saying that they're a single personality etc which I suppose is true for all of us but you could look at it that we're all a little bit schizophrenic.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen_Highwater View Post
    However if we're describing events in the real world then it's possible we need to distinguish between our two existances.
    This is a good point. Using it in this context makes sense.

Also good responses from everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen_Highwater View Post
    Kas,

I find it understandable as so many of us live what are effectively 2 lives. There's our day to day male existance and depending upon personal circumstance our femme persona.

I can understand that perhaps the very fact that we're conversing here on the forum places us in that femme persona and therefore using the first person makes sense. However if we're describing events in the real world then it's possible we need to distinguish between our two existances.

Now I know this will have some saying that they're a single personality etc which I suppose is true for all of us but you could look at it that we're all a little bit schizophrenic.

What Helen said
    Jill

So that if an arrest warrant is issued for the Lydianne, I can continue with impunity.

- Lydianne.

I'm in the 'no third person' camp (for myself, no judgement on how other people feel comfortable!).

But it seems so prevalent that in another posting of mine, I used the term "herself" (referring to my wife), and folks were confused that I was referring to me.

We have a mix of people on this forum though and for some of them CD is more like a hobby or a fantasy, and in that context I could see how the "fictional" female character might be referred to in the 3rd person. It's like an actor talking about the character he plays on TV.

For me ... I'm TG ... I *am* Eemz - so me talking about Eemz in the 3rd person would make no sense. But that's different.

wow, this is definitely an indication that no one ever reads the sig parts of posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean 103 View Post
    Because it is a seperate life. With me I have my work life and my personal life. I have thought of changing my name, for now things are fine the way they are.
    True, compartmentalization might be a good excuse, but straight men don't use third person to distinguish between their work and personal lives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Majella St Gerard View Post
    I find that people that refer to themselves in the third person to be a bit pretentious.
    I don't think that most people here who do it, do it for that reason. The rest of their posts don't seem to indicate that, anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hell on Heels View Post
    Hell-o Kas,
    I’ve noticed the 3rd person usage on this forum too. I don’t think I use it, although I’m sure at one point or another I have.
    If you were to look up the definition of the word illeism, you’ll find many reasons for the use of speaking, or writing in the third person.

I don’t think schizophrenia has much, if anything to do with it. Although I am afraid Kristyn may have a different opinion about that!
    If you're referring to multiple personality disorder, that's actually different from schizophrenia, and MPD is exceedingly rare. There also doesn't seem to be that type of distinction being made in the posts of those who use third person female identifiers, either.

Much of it tends to be one of a few things.
    1. The individual's desire to distance his 'real' self from any and all feminine desires, behaviors and thoughts. This most likely comes from our upbringing in which the worst possible thing a boy could be, was girly in any way. Feminine pronouns, nouns and descriptives are the worst insults that anyone can use against a male. Cheater, liar, thief, etc., all pale in comparison to Sissy, the 'P' and 'W' words which end with 'y', 'Lady', 'girl', are all insults and taunts that will start fights faster than any other in all male company. What is odd is that women will use these same mean spirited words as insults towards men, seemingly totally oblivious to the fact that they are actively implying that being feminine is inferior to being masculine, essentially insulting themselves at the same time.
    2. The desire to actually draw attention to referring to themselves as female. Maybe they feel that if they do that, others will treat them as females as well.
    3. Probably the most common; it's a way for them to hopefully fool the women in their lives, that what they see and hear, isn't the 'real him'. This apparently works well enough for some, that it's all they have to do in order to keep the possibility of it being true firmly in their SO's (and potentially family and others) minds as well. To those I say, good luck and I hope you can continue to manage that.

But if you're trying to figure out why you have all these thoughts, feelings and even desires to dress, behave and be treated as a female, pretending that those feminine things aren't actually part of you, isn't going to help at all. In fact, it will get in the way of ever figuring out WHY you are this way. And some are just fine with that, because they really don't want to know. For some who were indoctrinated into the mindset that even allowing themselves to think about being feminine is a sin or a terrible thing, it can be very difficult to cast off those feelings even much later in life.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Aspiring Member
    Charlotte! Charlotte!!

Okay, okay, I'm coming. What do you want?

You don't look so good?

No, Charlotte, she doesn't feel too good.

What's up? Hungiver?

Yes, Charlotte, she is hungover.

Well, you've only yourself to blame.

Yes, Charlotte, she blames herslef. She was drinking red wine last night.

Well be that as it may, there's someone here saying that you've been using the third person again?

Who? Me? Charlotte?!!! No, she wouldn't do that!

Well someone has, because there's a thread up about it?

Is there? I'm sure that she, Charlotte would have something to say about that.

And what would she say?

Well, she would say that this is a forum and there are all kinds of people here, from all over the world. And she would say that the reason that they're here is because they're cross dressers. And she would go on that they post here because it's a place to share cross dressing and a place to seek help and advice. And she, Charlotte would add, that's a good thing and she would want everyone to be welcomed here and she would hope that anyone who wants to post here would be welcomed and feel able to post. And she would hope that everyone would be treated the same. And she would hope that people weren't put off posting because they found it harder to express themselves. And she would hope that everyone here would realise this and not be bothered about how people write, how people spell, or if sometime the grammer it was incorrect. You see, what she would hope is that people here would read the message, and offer any help that could be offered, and if they themselves might have differently phrased it, not be worried about how it was being said.

That's what Charlotte thinks is it?

Yes, she thinks that.

I used to do that too. I once tried my best to keep the two sides of me separate. If I was in male mode, talking about my female side, I'd refer to Her, Sara, etc. If I was dressed, I'd refer to my male side as Him.

These days, I don't bother. I've merged my two halves into one whole -um- me. No more taking sides, so to speak.

Nowadays, I'll say "I like that skirt" rather than "Sara would like that". etc.

Still - there are some 'socially convenient' times where I would still use "she" (so as not to raise eyebrows when they don't need to be raised)

Charlotte,

I am aware that we have many types of people from all over the world etc, but if thats the case, then why dont reddit users (for example) or any other forum users, frequently refer to themselves in 3rd person? Surely there is a much larger variety of people on reddit, compared to here right?

There is obviously more to it then that... The other responses seem to confirm that also.
    Last edited by Kas; 11-10-2018 at 07:27 AM.

Literary license?
    Though I like Lydianne’s answer too ;-)

Fran

Because it is a seperate life.

With me I have my work life and my personal life. I have thought of changing my name, for now things are fine the way they are.

Silver Member Stephanie Julianna's Avatar
    I don't. I am both Stephanie and Bob all the time. I have long given up trying to seperate them. In reality, my Stephanie Julianna me is at the front of my personality even though my appearance does not get to match it near as often as I would like. As I have gotten older my feminine psyche has definitely fought it's way to the front of the line.

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    I find that people that refer to themselves in the third person to be a bit pretentious.

Quote Originally Posted by Majella St Gerard View Post
    Pretentious? Moi?
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

I think "Jimmy" does it best! Sorry for the poor picture quality, but this may explain the OP's reasons. At least it is worth a good laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apa0nG1OfUc

Sometimes, it’s a Jekyll and Hyde situation. Two people sharing the same body. Referring to the other persona (whichever it happens to be at the time) in the third person is an acknowledgement of the distinction between the two.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

A really good question. One that I don't have an answer for. In general I refer to myself in the first person when in drab, unless I'm talking about Jenn in which case I do use the 3rd person. Sometimes its a convenience/cover when I'm out (again, in drab) with my wife and we are talking about Jenn's stuff. When I'm presenting as Jenn I talk about myself in the first person. Yes, puzzling.
    Jenn A --- nothing fancy, just me.

Quote Originally Posted by AllieSF View Post
    I think "Jimmy" does it best! Sorry for the poor picture quality, but this may explain the OP's reasons. At least it is worth a good laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apa0nG1OfUc
    Hahaha Allie exactly!

Love all the responses ladies! Some very good points made.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Exclamation I do it because it's true!

Sherry doesn't appear to BE me in any, way, shape or form!

And, if she ever does, it means I screwed up and am NOT happy with her look!

Kas, I prefer to present as a pretty, young, woman. Since I'm a homely 75 y/o man that requires changing EVERYTHING about the way I look. That's what I meant!

So, she is LITERALLY a completely different looking person! And, is a 3rd person, get it now!?
    Last edited by docrobbysherry; 11-12-2018 at 01:14 AM.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Becky Blue View Post
    Pretentious? Moi?
    Basil_Fawlty.jpg

I suppose you think that was funny?, hmmm, hmmmm....
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

Hell-o Kas,
    I’ve noticed the 3rd person usage on this forum too. I don’t think I use it, although I’m sure at one point or another I have.
    If you were to look up the definition of the word illeism, you’ll find many reasons for the use of speaking, or writing in the third person.

I don’t think schizophrenia has much, if anything to do with it. Although I am afraid Kristyn may have a different opinion about that!

Much Love,
    Kristyn
    I smile because you are my friend, and
    I laugh because there is nothing you can do about it!!!