Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seeing a Therapist

I saw my therapist again today had a good session. We talked about my panty and pajama wearing most of the time. She had nothing but good things to say about it which made me feel good about and I really didn't want to go today. Glad I went.

I saw my therapist today! We had a good session! Next week I see the endocrinologist for Hormone Therapy! My next therapy session is after that and promises to be a good one! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

I recently came out as a crossdresser to my therapist. It was one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life. My heart has never been lighter in my adult life on a consistent basis. I might not be out in any other place but just coming out to this one person and talking about it has changed the way I think about myself and my crossdressing. It's part of the reason why I mustered up the courage to post on the forum here.

You should talk about it with your therapist. It's a safe place...or is supposed to be. If they yell at you or whatever or insult you then you don't have to pay them.

It's really helped me and I hope other people do it too. Instead of dreading those time when I feel the urge to dress...I'm looking forward to them! I was afraid for so long but now...maybe I can have this hobby be a productive part of my life. The fear and shame created problems for me in other areas of my life...I felt like I had this heavy burden my whole life. But since actually talking about it I feel hopeful. My therapist is encouraging me to explore this feeling I've had my whole life...and having someone in your corner (even if you are paying them) makes all the difference!

That's awesome Emily! So nice to be accepted by anyone...... When i was a kid I use to look over at Connecticut as I was living on Long Island at the time

Lisa
    As many as 43 percent of all people with gender dysphoria attempt suicide in their lives. dont let yourself become part of that very tragic statistic.
    Balance-Dignity-Acceptance-Responsibility-

I never felt my crossdressing was wrong but I understood the stigma about it. It was a relief to talk about it with my therapist including my sexual feelings towards men and women and my thoughts about HRT.

Do you folks see a psychiatrist or psychologist or another type of counselor? I've never had therapy and have been meaning to do it. Mainly want to start to talk about depression I've dealt with all my life. But I'm cautious of doctors because I feel their first instinct is to medicate, especially in the US. I also have family history of mental health issues so maybe it's better I'm properly diagnosed...

Everyone needs some kind of therapy to work through their inner struggles.

Not always involving a therapist. But then you don't always need one.

In my personal experience, a therapist is there to help guide you along the path to resolution. Which is great. I applaud them for the good they do.

Regrettably, they don't work for me... at least, not anymore. I started going as a kid. I freely admit I have issues.

My problem with therapists is, I don't trust them. So now when I go I try to out think them.

They asked a question. What are they trying to get me to say? Where are they trying to lead the conversation?

Is it the cross-dressing?
    Maybe the anger management?
    The self-perception of inadequacy?

But you know the goal.
    You came to the session to talk about it.
    Are you ready to?
    No?
    Oooh there's my problem.
    I know the desired target conversation.
    I understand where I am on the path there. So now when the therapist pauses mid-sentance to think of just the right word... I finish it for them.
    I'm not being lead, I'm the one leading.

So how about them Dodgers?

I'll process when I'm ready.
    So why should I have a therapist when I'm fully aware of the path I need to take for resolution?

Last one, stopped seeing me and told my mother to keep her money, I wasn't going to talk to him.

But that's me...

I saw a therapist for many years it was helpful, cross dressing was not a big part of my life but i was never really comfortable talking about my sex life or sexual fantasies, kinks etc. I think it may have been helpful but I know it cant take some courage even to bring this topic up with a therapist.

Quote Originally Posted by maya1 View Post
    Do you folks see a psychiatrist or psychologist or another type of counselor? I've never had therapy and have been meaning to do it. Mainly want to start to talk about depression I've dealt with all my life. But I'm cautious of doctors because I feel their first instinct is to medicate, especially in the US. I also have family history of mental health issues so maybe it's better I'm properly diagnosed...
    Right now I see a social worker.

Having been in therapy most of my life I'd like to correct you on a couple of points if you don't mind.

A psychiatrist is the doctor you go to for medications. They are a medical doctor and you will need one if you feel like you need to have meds...more on meds later.

A psychologist is also a doctor but is a PhD. Typically they will have a specialty which they studied in school, though this doesn't mean they can't advise you in other areas as well of course.

Based on what you said you'll probably want to seek out a psychologist or a social worker before getting into anything with a psychiatrist. Usually the person you see knows reliable people and if you trust your therapist you can most likely can trust their suggestion for a psychiatrist.

You might not stay with your first therapist or social worker. It can be a bit like Goldilocks. You absolutely need to find the one who is just right for you. Otherwise you won't get anything out of it.

As far as meds go...I think it is a bit of a misunderstanding to say that a therapist's first instinct is to medicate. Even if it were true...they can't force you to take meds they can only suggest that they might help. You can say no. They don't hold you down and cram them in your mouth. There are other things you can do like holistic medicine or meditation or what have you. Plenty of therapists will support you in this because ultimately you are in charge of your health. They are there to help you and guide you but like anything you can either take their advice or not take it. Remember you are paying them and they want to give you the best advice that they can because that's their job. They want to see you be healthy even if it means they don't need to see you any more. You can find the treatment that works best for you. Remember you are paying for this service and you are the one in charge! Be brave! You can do it!

Kim
    I did the therapist thing told the therapist everything and never got any answers at all.
    Try a couple of them still nothing maybe diff today this was back in the 70"s and the 80"s.
    I finely just said to myself this is me and just go with it.

I spent many thousands of pounds with various psychologists and others while I was trying to buy my children back through the British family court business. Not one of them was my intellectual equal and several of them said things about me that helped lead to my children growing up without a dad. I've no time for them at all frankly. In fact, if you want my considered opinion, based upon trenchant experience, never say anything to anybody who is in an a position to do you or your family harm (doctors, teachers, judges, lawyers, solicitors, psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, CAFCASS officers, policemen, probation officers, counselors or public officials of any kind). However nice they might seem be. I'd make one cautious exception for the Samaritans.
    Last edited by MiniRock; 11-30-2018 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by maya1 View Post
    When I was in my 30's (now 3 decades ago) I went to several therapists. It's a long time ago now but I will give you my (highly biased) thoughts. I was mostly depressed at the time. I was functional in that I was making good money and had a few good friends but I felt alienated from much of the world, I hated being stuck with the crossdressing, I was often frustrated and angry, etc. Note: My mother suffered from emotional problems most of her life as well although I don’t think hers or mine was necessarily genetic.

I needed to talk to someone but, to be honest, several of the therapists I went to seemed mostly a waste of money. They were nice people but didn't really move the needle. Fortunately, a close friend gave me a recommendation that turned out to be the right person. I felt, and, looking back still feel, that he was very much worthwhile.

Therapy is funny as so much of it is about the human connection/interaction between the client and therapist. That relationship is critical. At some, hard to quantify level, you need to connect - without that it is a waste. Even so, there are certain things I would consider when searching for a therapist (these are my opinions only). First, unless you are so seriously depressed that you cannot function and/or are possibly suicidal, I much prefer psychologists over psychiatrists. Psychiatrists can give you drugs to help keep you functioning but you are more likely to get into a patient/doctor type relationship with a psychiatrist which is not a good setup for psychological growth. Second, I also prefer psychologists over the many master degree level therapists/family counselors who are out there. My experience is that the master level will give you a sympathetic ear and provide a safe space but, if you are really having problems, I just don't think they have enough training. There is big difference in the degree of training required in a "good" PhD program vs. a masters program. I think it makes a difference especially if you are having significant problems with your life.

As to gender specific counseling, I don't really have an opinion since my crossdressing was never about wanting to become a woman. Crossdressing did create a lot of inner turmoil because of the relationship problems it caused, but I was never fighting myself about my true gender unlike a lot of folks here.
    BTW, for the last 20 years I've been married to a woman who seriously likes crossdressing which pretty much solved that problem.