Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crossdressing as a senior

Crossdressing as a senior

I'm 67 years old, and, reading the posts on here, I see several other ladies who would qualify for senior discounts at most establishments.

As a male, I'm not concerned about the effect aging has on my appearance. When I visualize myself as woman, though, I tend to think of someone younger and more conventionally attractive. I'm at a loss about how to bridge that gap. Of course, I haven't yet started on the journey of learning makeup, and I don't yet know how a dark wig instead of my head of gray hair will change my looks.

Do any of you who are in this age bracket have any thoughts, comments, opinions on this topic? Are there other concerns that effect us?

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I'm 66 and I wear what I want. Add make up and proper wig does tend to make you look 10 to 15 years younger people say.
    Get a wig with a salt and pepper look to it and you should be fine.
    A lot of your look will be trial and error so you will find what looks right eventually.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 11-12-2018 at 02:12 AM.

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    There are many members over 60 Darci, in fact there are more older members than younger, from what I read.

The clothes are one thing - but make up and a wig are what transform us. It's astounding what a difference they can make- we're talking decades.

You'd think that our maturity (late-50s me) would mean we're more got-together than younger members, but it isn't necessarily true. Many of us are still struggling with issues stemming from childhood, and young people today find themselves in a far more accepting world than we did.

Good luck and don't be afraid to experiment!
    I used to have a short attention spa

Like others have said a wig carefully selected and makeup will assist you well.

Wear appropriate clothing so as it does not clash with your outward appearance.

Do enjoy and read what others have to say all the time.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Aspiring Member
    "Wearing appropriate clothing" would instantly identify me as the proverbial little ole' lady. T'aint going to happen. I enjoy colorful and non appropriate clothing too much. So I forget about make up and wigs, I avoid mirrors and remain a closeted crossdresser. Uh, make that a "crossdresser-in-residence."

That is my choice, at 85.

Ineke

I'm 70 and have gone shopping a few times and I think dressing age appropriate will draw less attention, but I'd really rather dress in something flashy (oh well). I also have a ash blonde wig with a little gray. Confidence is the biggest thing, if you feel good and smile you will look good and have a ball!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/lovethatdress/

Banned Read only
    Darcilin,
    I'm the same age , all I can say is don't let age hold you back . I've been out full time since February without a single problem .

To me the basics were , get a skin colour check for makeup and bite the bullet to go to a decent wig outlet and try on different styles and colours . To be truthful I don't even give my age a thought , it's all too easy to talk yourself into the pipe and slipper brigade but I have so much living to catch up on as Teresa it will be a while yet before I put my heels up !

Age isn't a barrier , it shouldn't close any doors for us .

I'm in my mid 60's so in choosing what to wear I look at GG's in my age bracket. This generally means being more conservative however that doesn't mean I can't dress both smartly and with an eye to elegance.

There are many mature females who remain youthful and dress well portraying a stylish look without resorting to being a slave to current fashion.

With so many hair colourants on the market many mature ladies banish any hint of grey so opting for a wig that's a warmer tone isn't pushing the boundaries beyond what's normal.

Keeping makeup subdued but sufficient to cover up beard is a trick that needs mastering. YouTube and close observation are two good tools to use and for want of saying the same thing over and over, getting a foundation check and general advice from one of the beauty counters will take you a long way(and it's exciting too).

One last thing. A well tailored coat or jacket sets off any look but remember, more mature ladies will also favour functionality over out right fashion. Something warm for the winter!

Age should not be a drawback. Obviously I cannot dress at 64 as I did at 25. However, I exercise daily and eat healthy. I do this for my personal well being; not for presentation purposes. But the effect is a more youthful appearance. Now eventually father time will catch up to all of us but let's try to stay ahead as long as possible.

I'm at a loss about how to bridge that gap. Of course, I haven't yet started on the journey of learning makeup, and I don't yet know how a dark wig instead of my head of gray hair will change my looks.
    Makeup - I've noticed that each GG over 40 sticks with the same makeup that they believe works for them. It's the same for many CDs. Makeup can get complicated and time consuming. I've met CDs that spend over 1000 hours per year experimenting with makeup. They are then ones that have mastered the art. So, get started and learn from a few youtube videos.

And will a dark wig be best with your complexion? Most of us have best results from trying on wigs at a wig salon rather than buying from websites. Wigs aren't returnable which is another reason to go to a wig salon. If I only had the nerve to apply makeup before going out to try on wigs. Just don't get the right look without it.

Another thing to thing about is walking in heels somewhat gracefully. Always have a pair of flats handy in case the heels aren't working. All of this stuff really applies to all age groups.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Ressie,

That bit about the heels is the truth! I tried to wear mine to walk the dog a few days ago (pre-dawn darkness, nobody around to see me) just to get the practice. But I found walking down the sidewalk is not nearly the same as walking down the hall, where I can brace against wall if I start to lose my balance. Ended up falling and practically breaking my neck (well, not literally, but scraped my hand and bruised my butt)!

A pair of flats would be helpful. I've got that on my list for my next shopping excursion.

I'm nervous about going to a wig salon, for a couple reasons. One is I don't know enough to know what I don't know, i.e., what questions to ask. Second is I have no idea what to expect in terms of price (being retired, I'm on a limited -- practically non-existent -- budget). And third is that I still haven't worked up the nerve to shave the goatee, so I'm not really ready to buy one yet. I've been thinking about buying a cheap one ($12) on Amazon, figuring it's probably going to be a throw-away, but just for having something to experiment with as starting point.

Thanks for your reply, and all the other ladies that have posted.

Reality Check
    Women age, much like men. If you don't want to look like a fool (either in public or in your own home), you should dress your age. Some folks might take that to mean "frumpy" like folks in a nursing home. You don't have to do that, you look at what women your age wear and wear the same sort of clothes, hair and makeup. The time has passed for you to try for that "young hot chick" look.
    Krisi

Banned Read only
    I'm 71. I'm an in home cross dresser who does on occasion take evening strolls. Before marriage almost 50 years ago my six foot one height was a great assets. Attracted lots of women, and, unfortunately for shorter guys being tall was a business asset. Now the height is not an asset. There is not too much I can do to get rid of those distinguished aging line on my face. Applying tons of makeup liked I was plastering a wall is not my cup of tea. I've always worn dresses. I dress age appropriate which means knee length =/- two to three inches and midi calf. I'd say the dresses would be worn in the thirty five to fifty years old age group. I have no idea was 'frumpy' means. I am not my grandmother, rest her soul! Of course that male pattern baldness is dealt with by wearing a shoulder length grey wig. I do have two other wigs; blond and brunette. I've been thinking of getting a brunette with greying in it. When it comes to footwear I do have narrow heels up to five inches, but, rarely wear those. When I do it is around the house. Outside I choose to wear a wedge with a two inch heel. I am fortunate that I have never had hair follicles on the back of my thighs and calves. What hair I ever had on my shins was fine and light. Never had hair on my underarms. My wife gets irritated since she still has to shave. She says it is 'wasted on a guy!' No need to shave other than my face. That's one benefit of the aging process, and, being in the diabetic pool.

Advice for the younger set; watch your diet from a young age. It is a lot easier to keep it off than take it off.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I'm 75, Darcy. I consider myself a closet dresser because my regular friends don't know I dress and I NEVER dress in public near home.
    But, I attend many T events out at clubs, T friendly venues, and in Vegas. Most of my T friends say I look 50's. Because of my figure and style of dress, I think? I don't "dress to blend" very well!

Of course, Sherry presents as a woman in her 20/30's!

I think you're as old as u feel! U can match that age with your looks if u really want to. I'm wearing a beard and stash in this, and most of my pics by the way!

P1290699 (912x1024).jpg
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I'm not too far behind you in age.
    I started with a grey wig thinking that it was appropriate since it matched my current hair color. However. most women our age color their hair. Not necessarily the same color as their natural color when they were young, but often a little lighter.
    My hair was mousy brown before it went grey. i found a wig (appropriate length for my age) in that color with a few grey hairs throughout. I think that it fits me well appearance wise.
    I'll echo most of the other advice here. Practice with makeup, get undergarments to present appropriate curves, and dress your age.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Just because we age doesn't mean we have to dress frumpy but dressing like a pre teen or a hooker is probably not a good choice.
    If you have great legs and a slim figure play them up to your advantage tastefully and with style of course.
    Skirts and dresses are popular here and look great on many members.
    A good wig salon will help finding the color that works for you.

turning 65 this month i love my mini skirts and heels as much as anyone,
    but i would NEVER wear them out. make up does make me look younger
    so i dress age appropriate, conservative and to blend.
    paula

I'm 69. My only advice is don"t wear fishnet stockings.

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    I don't go out dressed anyway, so I wear what is FUN---Hang my age.---My Wigs and makeup make me look 20 years younger though. I CAN dress my age(late 60s) (grey hair etc.) see pics below, but I prefer YOUNGER (I LOVE fishnet stockings---I've got great legs)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MarinaTwelve200; 11-12-2018 at 01:32 PM.

I also am 75. I used to always wear dark wigs. Then I switched to short salt and pepper. I still occasionally will wear the dark wigs. I then to pick out the wig that best go with the outfit. I now wear shorter heels because I am having balancing problems (Medically).

Some times I even just wear my own hair.
    I have used all three of these as an avatar.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

Please don't forget to use body lotions and moisturizers. It is important for young people but especially so for us seniors.

Similar to what has been stated I feel younger and more alive when dressed. I'm pushing 70 and have to be more careful doing a lot of things. I try and eat right and keep my weight down. I've noticed the balance thing is declining some and it has crossed my mind what if I fall trying to get my tights or hose on and walking in my tallest high heels I'm finding myself much more careful. I feel 25 but am starting to look like my age faster, time really flies by the older one gets. I'm gonna keep on until I can no longer dress though.

Age is just a number. We all age differently. I say just dress in what you feel good in and what you think looks good on you. I'm 60 and I don't dress how people think someone my age should be dressed. I dress to make myself feel good about myself and in things that I think look good on me. I have no problem wearing clothes that are typically worn by people younger than I am, or some what revealing. I even gone as far as wearing a string bikini when I go to the local pool when it's warm enough and haven't felt out of place or drawn any disapproving looks. I have to say that I disagree when people say you should dress for you age. I deal with hundreds of people a day and I see people half my age that look older than I am. I shudder to think what I'd be seeing if everyone was dressing for their age.

Paula some of us just do not have that youthful look like you do in your Avatar.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    I'll see my 70th birthday next summer and go out on a regular basis. A good wig is a real benefit, but I've been out with my own long, thinning hair after it's been styled a little. Dress to the activity and your apparent age and things are fine. And I say "apparent age" because once you do the makeup and wig, you may end up looking younger than your years. Enjoy yourself, you've earned it!
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.