Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crossing your legs

Crossing your legs

The issue of crossing your legs has always puzzled me. As a rule of thumb, men tend to sit with their legs apart, and women close their legs, if not crossing them all together.
    Trying to emulate female behavior, I close my legs (and cross them when needed) but I must say it feels somewhat uncomfortable. Even when I am fully tucked.
    Is it some sort of a behavior conditioning (where women are taught to close their legs over their childhood) or is it a physical issue (without the "junk" between your legs it is more natural and comfortable to just close them)?

How do you explain it? Is it something you adjusted in yourself easily? Does it feel comfortable and natural to you?
    I would love to hear your take on this!
    Michal.

armchair philosopher ElianaFrozenflame's Avatar
    Crossing your legs in a skirt or dress, just sounds sensible to me. I've crossed my legs so often, in both guy and girl mode, that it comes natural to me. That being said, I have also discovered that crossing them too long can weaken your legs, cut off circulation, sometimes, unnoticeably until you stand up and walk. After several times of my leg falling asleep, and then tripping over myself in the grocery store, I am a lot more self conscious about leg crossing. Cross your legs at the ankle, if you want to cross them, but more importantly, keep your knees together. I think the idea of just taking up less space than a man is key. Elbows in, knees together, whether sitting or standing.

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    I always cross my legs when sitting, dressed or drab. I do tend to find that I have to switch legs regularly though.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

This is a subject that was discussed at home the other evening. I was sat on the sofa and my wife suddenly commented that i sit very "properly" when i wear a skirt.
    I sit with my knees together, sometimes legs crossed at the ankles. I guess it's supposed to be a modesty thing, especially if a skirt is very short. I sit like this even tho there are only the two of us in the house. It just feels like the right thing to do.
    I don't necessarily bother to sit like this when wearing leggings/jeans tho.
    Last edited by Krea; 11-08-2018 at 07:56 AM.
    "The only way is onward. There is no turning back."

In gurl mode, I cross my thighs ... One over the other, minimizing exposure between them. (Unlike Sharon Stone)
    In guy mode: right ankle on left knee ... Wide open, so to speak. Jaye

It's a matter of being ladylike. Women with any sense know that men get too excited if panties are exposed. Many women also pull their sweater to cover their boobs if they sense a man is staring at them.

Of course I understand that it would be painful if your sitting in a way that's crushing the boys. Fully tucking isn't necessary if you're wearing a skirt that isn't too tight. Just sit with your knees close to touching each other. If they're spread out at all with a short skirt on, you're showing more than you should.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

I'm not sure when it started, but over the years its become a natural part of how I sit, and do it regardless of whether I'm presenting as female or not, even double crossing at my ankles.Many times I'm not even aware I'm doing it. I'm partially out and to those I am, I could care less, but to those I'm not, I have received remarks on several occasions on why Im sitting like a woman with my hips sideways crossing my legs. For me, I honestly think it's just who I am inside,since I naturally sit this way without thinking about it.

Girls are taught to sit with their legs together from an early age so that their panties aren't visible.
    As for crossing my legs, it's difficult the last few years due to physical issues so I've taken up the "Royal" position and sit with my knees together and ankles crossed instead.

Another thing you don't think about is if you toss something to a guy he instinctively closes his legs if it's in the lap area so he doesn't drop it, yet a woman in a skirt will open hers for the same reason and use the skirt as a net.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Aspiring Member
    Some of the posts above hae touched on the many reasons for this but for quite a good explanation and what some GG think about it all, this is quite a good read:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...tance-physical

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Michal82 View Post
    Is it some sort of a behavior conditioning (where women are taught to close their legs over their childhood) or is it a physical issue (without the "junk" between your legs it is more natural and comfortable to just close them)?
    It's both!

BTW: I can't say have I ever seen my wife sit with her legs crossed, but she does not "man spread" either.

So don't think this is one of those things "all women do".
    Last edited by Robertacd; 11-08-2018 at 09:49 AM.

I do sit with my legs apart sometimes when under a table, generally I sit with them close together or sometimes crossed.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I usually sit with my legs crossed regardless of how I am presenting. After a while it seems to be the natural thing to do. Personally, I do not like the "man spread" look at any time. It is symbolic of dominance and, IMHO, "I am important".
    Hugs, Carole

Please see KatrinaK’s post titled something like “I need this one explained to me”

I think it the hips of women are wider apart from birth, so the knees join easily. I have no problems crossing my legs, do it all the time.
    Wanting something is a fantasy which on a long time period clouds your mind and makes you think you need it.

Rayleen

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    It was very foreign to me at first. And, I have been told countless times by various T's to close my legs!

I became so conscience of it that over the years it's become a habit to cross my legs like women do.

Now, I have to be careful. Because I find myself automatically crossing them in MALE MODE!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I always sat with my legs crossed when dressed and a lot of the time when not dressed. But I just had a hip replacment and find I can no longer cross my legs. Have to rethink my presentation. Bummer

Quote Originally Posted by ElianaFrozenflame View Post
    ... Elbows in, knees together, whether sitting or standing.
    Have you noticed how many women stand akimbo (hands on hips and elbows pointing right and left). Something that I try not to emulate.

Crossing legs way from someone is a sign of distrust of that person, as it offers more protection. However, it is always best to alternate the crossing to avoid circulatory issues/pins and needles.

Here in Portugal girls tend to cross legs above the knee or have knees tight together when sitting, that was certainly how all the t-girls were sat in the photos of the last night-out I attended.
    Rachel,

As a crossdresser my personality has several facets. Therefore, I suppose I can be forgiven for being facetious.

I tend to sit at an angle with legs close at the knees and feet together and off to one side.
    I find this to be much more comfortable than trying to cross them at the knees. Because of arthritis I have a hard time trying to even cross them at the ankle.

I have always done it occasionally as a male on one side only. I notice I do it more often now in a skirt, but I can't do it as well as the ladies.

Hell-o Michal,
    I think the when, and why, women keep their knees togetheror legs crossed may largely be due to social conditioning, although there are several differences between male and female pelvic anatomy. Some of those create a natural difference between the postures of men and women. Those posture differences can make it easier, or should I say more comfortable to sit with your legs together.

Try sitting with your legs crossed. For me, it’s more comfy if I’m seated with my back in an upright, straight”ish” position. Now with my back in the same position...giveing man-spreading a try seems unnatural. It’s much easier/comfy if I relax my back a bit.

So...by all means, do what ya gotta do to remain comfy, at home.
    But please...no matter the pain level, DO NOT be flashing everyonewhilst in public.
    Much Love,
    Kristyn
    Last edited by Hell on Heels; 11-09-2018 at 10:26 AM.
    I smile because you are my friend, and
    I laugh because there is nothing you can do about it!!!

I actually cross my legs quite often.
    So much so that when I was in school and some kids saw me sitting with my legs crossed, they made fun of me and said I must have no balls...
    LOL
    I can't say it's a comfortable postion to hold for a long time. Your junk does get in the way.
    It's especially warm in the winter, as your body isn't as spread out, so it loses less body heat.
    I like it, I really do. I sometimes even wish I had no manly parts there. It's really something I envy the ladies for!

Quote Originally Posted by Michal82 View Post
    The issue of crossing your legs has always puzzled me. As a rule of thumb, men tend to sit with their legs apart
    It really depended upon where we were sitting. Casually in a living room chair, yes, usually legs spread apart. But in a lecture or many other places when sitting up in a straight back chair, you will find lots of men with crossed legs, especially when using one leg as sort of a desk to write on something such as a clipboard; I did that a lot when I was a teen, whenever we had lectures in places with no desks or tables. Being right handed, I crossed my right leg over my left knee, and rested the clipboard or notebook on my right thigh to write on. What I didn't understand, was why I could cross my right leg over my left knee, but was uncomfortable doing the reverse; I had to do the left ankle over my right knee thing, which did leave the legs spread apart a bit. But I couldn't do that the other way either.

And I see plenty of women in dresses and skirts, who sit perfectly comfortably for long periods of time with their legs together, but not crossed; which I can't do. I suppose it has something to do with how the pelvis differs between males and females.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Aspiring Member
    Crossing your legs is NOT female behaviour. Lot of men do it. My father did it. I do it (however I am dressed).

Platinum Member
    "I see London! I see France! I see your underpants!" as the little ditty went back in grade school to torment the girls. Modesty prevails. It's bad enough that young guys go horny without encouraging them. When en femme I always sit with knees together. Or one thigh crossed over the other knee. In guy mode my wife is always yelling for me to get my feet in so she can get by me since I splayed all over the place.

A little side bar on the issue. My older brother worked once as a shoe salesperson in the women's shoe department at Macy's on Herald Square. He told me a lot of women intentionally splayed open their legs to reveal their panties or to show they were not wearing any.

When I was young, I naturally crossed my thigh over thigh until I was told that boys don't cross their legs like that. So I paid attention to how males crossed their legs and taught myself to cross them with the ankle over the knee like I was supposed to. Recently, as I finally accepted myself, I went back to crossing them like I did until I was redirected. Feels more natural to me.