Thread: Two weeks in a true paradise

Breathes under water prettytoes's Avatar

Two weeks in a true paradise

We just got back from a 2 week adventure on Fiji's main island. On Fiji, the men wear "sulu's". There are 3 types...one is pretty much just a simple sarong, then a black or grey "dressy" sulu, and the third has pockets and belt loops. They are all pretty much skirts. We were in a group of 48, and the majority of the guys in the group bought and wore sarongs every night for dinner. It didn't matter if they were pink and flowery, or plain black...anything goes. I purchased a "Bula shirt" (colorful Fijian design) and a sarong to match with bright colors and sea turtles on it. Here, it would be considered quite feminine; there, I got loads of compliments on it from the locals.
    I thought it was funny how most of the guys enjoyed wearing their sarongs and commented on how comfortable they were. We are planning on wearing our Fijian outfits for our dive club meeting next week. It would be nice to retire on Fiji, where nobody cares what you are wearing.
    Life's too short to not be enjoyed! Live each day to the fullest!

Just do it already! DaisyLawrence's Avatar
    Yes, Fijians are the worlds number one when it comes to mens clothing . What is interesting is how, given the green light of acceptability, all your fellow travellers lept at the chance to get in a skirt. Call it a sulu or whatever but at the end of the day the Fijian men are in skirts, and feminine ones at that. It just goes to prove my theory that, if you remove the shackles of society's expectation, we are all non-binary individuals to one extent or another. When we have the chance to express without fear of repercussion we jump at it, how else do you explain so much M2F presentation at fancy dress parties, stag does, halloween etc? I must go some day.

A great place to visit, great weather most of the time too.

Unfortunately, no ski fields or snow. :-)
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

The avvy pic isn't me
    I'll jump on that wagon too Daisy:
    If societies shackles were suddenly removed and men's clothing was made as texturally light (especially jeans) as women's, guys would love that too.
    Not work clothing of course, but from a purely tactile standpoint a lot men are imprisoned by their clothing.

One of my early skirt purchases many years ago was a jungle-like print, thigh length skirt, and I loved it too; I pictured myself on a beach every time I wore it.

Cass

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyLawrence View Post
    Yes, Fijians are the worlds number one when it comes to mens clothing . What is interesting is how, given the green light of acceptability, all your fellow travellers lept at the chance to get in a skirt. Call it a sulu or whatever but at the end of the day the Fijian men are in skirts, and feminine ones at that. It just goes to prove my theory that, if you remove the shackles of society's expectation, we are all non-binary individuals to one extent or another. When we have the chance to express without fear of repercussion we jump at it, how else do you explain so much M2F presentation at fancy dress parties, stag does, halloween etc? I must go some day.
    No offense, but I believe that it has nothing to do with "society's shackles", Daisy! I was a regular guy for 50 years. I had plenty of opportunities to try on women's things. So, why didn't I? For the same reason vanilla men don't.
    I never thot of it!
    The guys on the trip wouldn't have thot of it either. Until they saw that the men there were wearing them!

When I was in Bali a lot of women were wearing sarongs. But, not the men. So, no tourist males except me thot of wearing them! I bought a few but waited until I got home to try them out.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

prettytoes, I was in Fiji on the island of Tokoriki in May and wearing the sarong was great. Loveliest place I have ever been and the diving was great.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

The diving was incredible. I have close to 700 dives under my belt, and the reefs around Fiji are by far the most colorful and lively I've ever seen. Words can't describe the beauty under the surface around the island. I also did the Beqa shark dive, where our group got to see 7 different species of sharks, including Bull sharks up to 12' long!

Banned Read only
    Sometimes I wonder how a cross dresser would feel if there was absolutely no delineation between what a man should wear and a woman should wear. If it is not just the clothes, what happens to the mind? If you're trying to emulate a woman how would that work? Just wondering how the inner needs would react? How do crossdressing men on Fiji express themselves?

Banned Read only
    PrettyToes,
    I'm very envious of all those dives , I learned and obtained my PADI licence in Minorca , when I returned within a few week I developed a balance problem which wasn't totally proven to be connected with diving but I've not been since . I have to agree with Bev and it's a great alternmative for me I just head for the ski slopes but annoyingly it can be too darn cold at times and certainly not a Sarong /Sulu climate .

One question what do the women wear and could you have totally dressed with makeup and possibly a wig ? I think I might have gone the whole hog !!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie47 View Post
    Sometimes I wonder how a cross dresser would feel if there was absolutely no delineation between what a man should wear and a woman should wear.
    I think today's crossdresser would, initially, be elated but experience diminishing returns over time. The future crossdresser wouldn't react as profoundly (except for those wearing garments designed specifically for a woman's body (bra, panties, etc...)).

For those with a desire to make an expression beyond crossdressing (adding a wig, makeup, jewelry, etc...) the clothing would take a backseat to those other enhancements and give them one less thing to "worry" about. They would still be able to emulate women.

Either way, we definitely would free up some closet space!

Atone of the malls we stopped at on our way to the resort there was an employee that was obviously a cross-dresser. Over the top makeup and hair, disguised voice, and very tall and broad-shouldered. I don't think the Fijians pay any attention to it. Men wearing shirts and ties in the city had black or dark grey sulus on...pretty much a business skirt. The women seemed to mostly wear dresses.
    Another difference in their society is that men go first in everything...first to order dinner, first to eat, first through doors...etc. The people there seemed to be very happy, even though they had very little. I guess I'd be happy too, if I lived on Fiji, and could wear a skirt every day.