Thread: Crossdressing in Latin America?

Crossdressing in Latin America?

Okay, this is an off-the-wall question, I'm sure.

I know we have lots of members on here from the US, the UK and maybe some other European countries, Canada, Australia, and other places.

Is anyone on here from Latin America, or does anyone know anything about the attitudes toward crossdressing in Latin America (specifically, Costa Rica)?

Thanks for any info.

I have no info on Costa Rica, although there’s a member on the forum that is from there. I imagine you’ll hear from her pretty soon. There’s also a member from Argentina.

I can tell you a little about Brazil. Once upon a time, LGBT issues were VERY taboo, Brazil being officially Catholic and all. Of course, that didn’t prevent it from existing and many public figures such as pop stars and clothing designers were obviously LGBT and given a pass.

Public crossdressing for males has always been a massive taboo in Brazil, except for during carnival, when everyone is free to dress as they like. Attitudes towards CDers are gradually changing, however, especially in the major metropolitan areas.

One major contributor to this issue is Laerte Coutinho, a cartoonist who has been in the public sphere since the late 60's and came out as a CDer at least a decade ago.

One of the characteers Laerte created is a man called Hugo who presents as a woman called Muriel (the name Muriel is a play on the word “Mulher”, which means “woman” in Portuguese). The strip is called “Muriel Total” and can be found on the Internet, although it’s all in Portuguese, so I expect the only folks who can understand the dialog in this forum are RachelPortugal and myself.
    Last edited by Nigella; 11-15-2018 at 02:15 PM. Reason: All content on the forum is required to be in the English language
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

Thanks, Patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Patience View Post
    ....One of the characteers Laerte created is a man called Hugo who presents as a woman called Muriel (the name Muriel is a play on the word “Mulher”, which means “woman” in Portuguese). The strip is called “Muriel Total” and can be found on the Internet, although it’s all in Portuguese, so I expect the only folks who can understand the dialog in this forum are RachelPortugal and myself.

Here's a sample of how Laerte uses the Muriel character to help bring crossdressing to the attention of the public in Brazil.

Attachment 298181
    Patience, thanks for bringing "Muriel Total" to the forum, I will enjoy reading more of Laerte's comic strips. The subject matter of the strip shown would create quite a lively thread in itself.

There are a few more members from Portugal on this forum, three have been active this year. I know of one other member, California based, who speaks Portuguese and has knowledge of South America, a continent which I have yet to visit.
    Rachel,

As a crossdresser my personality has several facets. Therefore, I suppose I can be forgiven for being facetious.

Patience, I can read these comics too! I am also brazilian!!!

In São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro there are several crossdressers who go out regularly. I have them on my Facebook and they REALLY go out!! 3 or 4 times a week! Weekends are mandatory!

I met one where I live and it was nice to talk to her. I never went out myself (it is a dream of mine) but I expect to make this dream come true next year!

Kisses

Patricia

I am one of those who lived and then visited Brasil over the years for work. I get the cartoon, ":"Hey!, Hey what?, I'm dressed as a woman., Get out!, Your restroom is the other one., It is." And waiting in line at a busy Lady's room is all too common.

Yes, there is also a lady here from Buenos Aires that has an open thread on her going out in groups activities there. Sorry, I cannot remember the title of her thread. There also were and probably are a few members from Mexico too.

Not bad, Allie.

De nada, Rachel.

Great to meet you, Patricia. Where do girls go in Rio?

Banned Read only
    I am from Latin America and have traveled throughout most of Central and South America and the Caribbean. I really hate to say this but here goes. Nearly everywhere I have traveled - with the exception of large cosmopolitan cities like Buenos Aires, México City or Bogotá - public crossdressing remains in the realm of low level street prostitution and drag bars. In the cities I mention there is a larger number of middle and upper income folks who are open minded about these sorts of things but even then it's a small community. To most Latin Americans raised in an oppressed, paternalistic, misogynistic and uber Catholic society, crossdressers are the worst kinds of homosexuals because they are men reducing themselves to the lower status of women. "Travesti" prostitutes in Latin America have the highest murder rate of any population. Sure, there are carnavales and festivities where men drag up but to be a crossdresser in most of Latin America is to put one's life at risk. I have dressed in public across the US and much of Europe and never felt unsafe. I wouldn't dare do so in any Latin American country unless I was with a local CDer who knew her way around.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Patience View Post
    I have no info on Costa Rica, although there’s a member on the forum that is from there. I imagine you’ll hear from her pretty soon. There’s also a member from Argentina.

I can tell you a little about Brazil. Once upon a time, LGBT issues were VERY taboo, Brazil being officially Catholic and all. Of course, that didn’t prevent it from existing and many public figures such as pop stars and clothing designers were obviously LGBT and given a pass.

Public crossdressing for males has always been a massive taboo in Brazil, except for during carnival, when everyone is free to dress as they like. Attitudes towards CDers are gradually changing, however, especially in the major metropolitan areas.

One major contributor to this issue is Laerte Coutinho, a cartoonist who has been in the public sphere since the late 60's and came out as a CDer at least a decade ago.

One of the characteers Laerte created is a man called Hugo who presents as a woman called Muriel (the name Muriel is a play on the word “Mulher”, which means “woman” in Portuguese). The strip is called “Muriel Total” and can be found on the Internet, although it’s all in Portuguese, so I expect the only folks who can understand the dialog in this forum are RachelPortugal and myself.
    I hope things don't backslide now that you have that shiny new homophobic president.

Brazilian politics are in the news. I know what you are talking about.

Mind you, I never said I was Brazilian. I only said I understood Portuguese.

Monica, I hear you. We’re on the same boat.

Here’s a picture of Laerte. I love her.

B43103B7-2230-44FF-A96F-63930F1BE8A5.jpeg
    Last edited by Nigella; 11-16-2018 at 01:34 PM. Reason: If you have an issue with Moderation, contact the Moderator, please do not comment on the boards, it is not allowed

I'd say that the attitude towards it in Costa Rica makes it sort of a risk.

Long story short: Some guys have been hit or killed even at the slightest assumption that they are gay, for wearing even a little make up or things like that.

Most people here see it as weird or abnormal. I know, maybe some harsh words, but as someone already said, some of the places where you can see CDers the most are not exactly the safest places and the image of them is like if they were all prostitutes.
    Last edited by Pixie_94; 11-16-2018 at 02:16 AM.

Thanks, Pixie and Monica, for the information. I guess I sort of wondered if the attitude was something like that, although I didn't realize it would be that bad. Thanks for opening my eyes.

Hi Cardi,

I am also from Latin America. Your question is very broad: the cultural zone is huge, and in some cases the only commonality is that we are excolonies of Spain and Portugal (mostly).

However, it is what people commented: big cities and capitals tend to be more tolerant and can have thriving TG scenes. The Catholic church has seen their influence diminish- they really really tried - in Argentina, Chile and Mexico. But in places like Colombia there is not even a clear separation between state and church.

Travel in general is not very safe, depends heavily on country. The safest country is probably Cuba.

Costa Rica is the best, safest option in central America. But I would check local costarican LBGT blogs to see how easy/safe it is. For sure, do not do it outside of San Jose.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info or more pointers...

Love love
    Val💋