Thread: A night at the Opera, A night at the…

A night at the Opera, A night at the…

I am not saying this is a long post, but there is an intermission part way through.
    Firstly I would like to say a massive thank you to my wonderful gorgeous supportive and encouraging SO (M), we have shared all of this together. It has been a busy week and I have been dressed for all of what is described below except for a couple of hours.
    We kick off on the previous Sunday evening, watching the vibrant Mugenkyo Taiko Drummers at Cast in Doncaster. Mid-week sees us at Sheffield City Hall, for the comedienne Sarah Millican. I know it is silly and daft but Security saying “I need to see inside your bags ladies” sends a little frisson down my spine. Sarah is hilarious and this sounds even dafter but in some small way I feel more connected to her mainly female audience, and her humour which is very much about her experiences as a woman, more so than previously, when I saw her in drab.
    And so, to the main event. We had been gifted tickets to the Opera at Nottingham Theatre Royal, on two consecutive nights and I wanted to try being out for the whole weekend, which is a first even though I am out a reasonable amount. We start on Friday afternoon with afternoon tea at a little boutique café in the village where I work. Had to laugh, despite being empty we are seated right next to two women, who are the only other customers there.
    After driving into the city centre, we check in, another first, and get settled with a little wine whilst changing, before a short but very breezy walk to the theatre. Not knowing the dress code we have dressed up a little, not too fancy. My long plain black skirt with pleated black and white blouse is like a cloak of invisibility. The opera is Tosca and we are both moved by the power and passion of this tragedy. During the interval I go to fetch drinks, but there is a long wait at the bar. Once served, the lady next to me says to the bar person “this lady is next”, which gave me another little frisson.
    The following morning we wander down for breakfast, another first. Unfortunately my male name is linked to our room number but the lady greeting us does not miss a micro beat and shows us to our table. Afterwards we drive out of the city to visit Teresa from this Forum, who we know from the same social group. We spend a lovely couple of hours, but then I have to make a quick change into bob mode as we are also visiting two of my Aunts on the way back into town.
    We return to the hotel to change and based on the previous evening we dress down a little. I am persuaded, rather easily, to try going with a shorter black and white skater skirt. The Saturday evening audience turn out be a little more elegant, with a spattering of dinner suits and long dresses.
    Our seats are in the circle, which quite a tight space. There is a certain amount of standing and sitting again as people get to their seats. We enjoy the light heartedness of the Merry Widow. In the interval I scurry to the bar. On my return the cold steel stiletto blade of young female laughter pierces between my 3rd and 4th intercostals. The timing is too precise for it to be anything else but that it is me causing their amusement. I sit down, the balloon with all the weekends wonderful experiences instantly deflated. I explain to M, then unfortunately, with 3 minutes of interval left realise I need the ladies. Mad dash up to the next floor. Get back just in time and M tells me that I as I departed she gave the two young ladies a stare which, thanks to years of experience as a head teacher, conveyed everything and caused them to drop their heads, so I relax somewhat. We round the evening off with a curry and the head waiter gives us each a carnation as we leave, which was lovely.
    Breakfast on the Sunday is much the same as the day before, except the staff are much chattier and friendlier. At checkout I notice the briefest of brief flickers in the receptionists eyes, again because my male name is what is listed.
    Barring the brief moment in the Theatre, and even that was I think youth rather malice, I had lots of little interactions (some of which I have left out) and was treated perfectly normally and politely.

Helena, glad you had such a good time being out and about! Interacting with also can be delightful at times! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Part of me has wondered what it would be like to go to an opera, or symphony all dressed up semi formal. i di go to a number of city band concerts in the park, several years ago, before my big purge. Sounds like you had a nice time.

Sounds like a great weekend, you also had a little experience of being outed, that does not hurt but reinforces you for future outings which all get easier... :-)
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Read only
    Helena,
    It was lovely to meet up with you and M and read up on the whole story of the weekend . Maybe next time I could join you both as it sounds a really great time , at least you know where I live now if you're in the need of a tea or pee break , you're always welcome .

Getting the outfit right is a balancing act as we often discuss , at least we can let our hair down at the Xmas party , I'm looking forward to that , perhaps even get together on the Sunday after if you're staying over at the hotel .

That's something I always wanted to do. But never had anyone to do it with. It sounds like a great time.
    GLENDA
    I FEEL LIKE A WOMAN

Lana Mae - Thank you. It can indeed, it is becoming more comfortable and more normal.

Alice - we did indeed. I wish you could experience it. I was surprised, on the Friday the audience were dressed much as any normal theatre crowd.

Beverley - It was. You are right. At that moment I felt how fragile this house of cards we construct can be, but now it seems such a mild event and will help me in the future.

Teresa - Thank you. It was lovely for us, to have a proper chat and see your lovely home. Yes, we should organise something next time the Opera comes to town, though we may have to sit in the gods given the ticket prices lol. You are right. I wore the same outfit from when we visited you and I worried that it had drawn more attention (along the lines of mutton dressed as lamb) but M reckoned it was the up and down letting people get to their seats as I would have pretty much been in their direct eye line. Yes sounds a good plan.

Glenda - It was. I do hope you find someone to go with, it is a great experience.

Junior Member Marie-Claude, France's Avatar
    I have been on an opera / concert version in Belgium last year. Opéra public is educated and you can expect to be safe.
    Hope you fulfill your dream.
    Reading the Gradus ad Parnassum from Johann Fux

Quote Originally Posted by Alice Torn View Post
    Part of me has wondered what it would be like to go to an opera, or symphony all dressed up semi formal. i di go to a number of city band concerts in the park, several years ago, before my big purge. Sounds like you had a nice time.
    I do a lot of theatre and I always get dressed for the formal event it’s supposed to be but I’m always disappointed at how many people come in scrubs like they were going to the movies or something.

Helena, sounds like a great few days. I'm glad you got to share it with your SO.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

i'd love to have the courage to get all dressed up and go to the Opera alone, and just enjoy the time as a woman alone, listening....I can't think of a better evening. It's amazing, that as soon as I am fully dressed, my whole body just relaxes, almost like now I am me. I just can't imagine being at an Opera, or symphony alone, dressed. You are so lucky....