Thread: Turkey day

Turkey day

At a dance on Saturday, a lesbian couple invited, “me and a plus one” to join their family for Thanksgiving dinner. I told the lady who asked me that my 22 year old daughter and I would be glad to join them.

We likely would have ended up dining at a restaurant, otherwise. My nearest relatives live two hours drive away.

Two of those families are sisters in law, sisters of my late wife, who do not even know I cross dress, let alone that I am now three months into HRT and living full time female. We joined them and their families at a restaurant in their town last year, but I was still presenting male, for them. (I plan to tell them before Christmas, which we also spend at least part of with them, but telling them before Thanksgiving would be too abrupt.) And they haven’t talked to me about either holiday yet. I do not anticipate rejection from them, when I tell them prior to Christmas. Their families are exceedingly liberal in viewpoint. But I want them to have time to process the idea that their little sister ‘s widower is becoming female.

My other close family are my sister, her husband (who has detested me since he found out I was cross dressing) and their four adult kids and their families. So celebrating with my sister is out, due to my hate-filled brother in law. My nieces and nephew will certainly travel an hour further North, to enjoy the day with their parents. My sister is trying hard to accept my transition, and my nieces, nephew and their families are okay with me. But even telling my brother in law I am going for full transition would just dump explosives on the fires of his homophobia and hate - let alone showing up as a woman!

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    I'm glad that you have got someone to share the holiday with - even if they are not family
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

I'm very happy for you Ceera.

Glad you have some nice friends that want to share the day with you and your daughter. As for the mixed reactions of other people in your life. Hold the supportive ones close and kick the judgmental ones to the curb. Seriously. Life is to short to worry about what idiots and bigots think. ( Oops did I say that aloud ? )

that is a lovely acceptance.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

Hi Ceera. The situation with your brother-in-law seems to really bother you. I completely understand, but you should really be kinder to yourself. The best solution is to write him off mentally. Easier said than done. Another solution would be to "just dump explosive on his homophobia", sit back, and watch him burn! Whatever you do, don't rent too much mental space to him.

Anne, I wrote off that one brother in law the day he rejected me for just going out socially as a woman. I can’t even bring myself to hate him. If anything, I pity him, and I am sorry his hate causes my sister difficulty even when I am nowhere near them. While it does bother me that I can’t join my sister’s family gatherings right now, I can still see her at other times, when he is not around. Honestly, his opinion of me is totally irrelevant to me.

In the end, I will have the satisfaction of outliving him, and resuming normal activities with my sister. He has several serious medical issues, and even he does not expect himself to live more than another 1 to 3 years. That is the main reason my sister isn’t pushing back against his stance very hard, or insisting he allow me at their family gatherings. She doesn’t want to add any more contention or disruption to their last few years together. I really can’t blame her for that. Despite the hate in his heart aimed at me, he really does love and care for my sister, and she loves him.

All of my other relatives, friends and neighbors have happily accepted my transition, and welcomed the new me into their lives. 100%! That is much more love and acceptance than many other trans people ever get, and I count myself as truly blessed.

Ceera,
    As active and friendly as you are, I knew that you would find someone for you and your daughter to share Thanksgiving with.
    I hope you have a great time. I know that you will.
    -Gracie

So this is how he chooses to live his final years on earth. Lovely guy. You're right Ceera, there's nothing you can do except live your own life.

> She doesn’t want to add any more contention or disruption to their last few years together

Well... in fact he's the one doing that. He seems OK with his actions making everyone else unhappy, but not the other way around. Which makes you all better people than him I guess.