Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will we be seeing more tolerance/acceptance......

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar

Will we be seeing more tolerance/acceptance......

.....because of a younger generation of gender travelers and their more considerate view of transgenderism in society?
    The generation before me (really effin' old) were demonized and labled if discovered outside the approved gender confines.
    Mine not so much. And nowadays, I barely get acknowledged when clocked. There is a wonderful air of acceptance out there.
    A lot of times it's corporate mandated politeness but I find that people generally don't care what you wear.

I think it's getting better for us. How do you feel?
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

I live in NYC. The Trans and CD presence is more visible. I probably see people in various states of transition and dress on a daily basis. Of course, it's more accepting here and I wish it was the same in other states and cities. But I feel the movement happening! As for me, I get to dress twice a week to therapy and back. It's baby steps and I hope to join the others in public...soon.

I think that just as we (of a certain age) lived through times when homosexuality became more accepted as mainstream, I see our children's generation viewing transgender issues in a much more positive light.

Whether that would include their parents is a moot point

Yes, I can sense it as well. It is just not what it used to be. I just wish the feeling will move outside of urban areas and slide into the more "small town" and rural environment. I lived in an era of being chastised, hated if you even thought of crossdressing, and now, well, it is so prevelant. I just hope I will be around when I can put on my pretty dress and heels, and take a leisurely stroll through my neighborhood! How I wish for that day! I want to show everyone how much I love being Roxanne!

Roxanne Lanyon, Forever!
    As Sweet As I Can Ever Be

Banned Read only
    Carla,
    One question , do you feel your passing skills are better ?

Doing it on a daily basis passing , being read or clocked hardly figures with me , what people actually see as I walk passed them is hard to say , I feel so normal I don't see people looking as anything negative . I have to say these thoughts or experiences are spread right through the age groups, genders and most types of environments .

I push the boundaries every day babe. the want is my end!

It's improving!

Stacy!
    STOP, Well I just dance the way I feel
    Stop breathing imagine none of this is real

Well I just dance the way I feel
    "Ou Est Le Swimming Pool"

Aspiring Member
    I think that the simple answer to this is yes, we will. There have been many changes for the better over the course of our lifetime.

Reality Check
    I think you will see what you want to see.
    Krisi

Banned Read only
    I think there has been considerable progress on the coasts and in larger cosmopolitan areas. Unfortunately, my travels through the heartland have not been very heartening. Still lots of people with hangups, although I have never felt threatened or unsafe. Progress!

Most definately, one only has to watch television and see a greater prevalence of documentaries and dramas addressing all sorts of gender issues and also bringing out and making more people aware that these issues being addressed in this way are bringing about a huge change in peoples acceptance.
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

I think yes, and no. In some cultures yes, and in some, we are tortured or killed if found out.

I’m afraid I have to agree with Monica, with one qualification.
    The way that populations have been shifting means that the areas where we are not very welcome will probably increase in physical size and will get less welcoming ... but those areas represent smaller and smaller portions of the population because of the constant migration of people to urban areas, which tend to be more welcoming (and the unwelcoming people who move to those welcoming areas either moderate their dislike of us, or their kids do). This population shift is not just in the US, western Europe certainly has it too.

Fran

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    The current political situation is not very LGBT friendly. But, that will pass. Meanwhile, the fact that all Americans hear and see more about trans every day.

I feel that constant stream of info is a positive influence. Since trans don't do seem to bad things in public, that is helping to normalize things for most of us!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Let's please keep politics and bashing anyone out please.

Quote Originally Posted by Alice Torn View Post
    Let's please keep politics and bashing anyone out please.
    Thank you Alice.
    I hear a lot here saying that they are seeing increased acceptance / tolerance over time by the general public.
    That is what is important, not what laws are passed by politicians.
    Changes come slowly through a change of heart by the populace.
    That appears to be happening.
    This is good.

The real indicator is how people feel about gender labeled toilette usage.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

Silver Member
    Lygophilia, means 'love of darkness'.... not a feminine name. Why did you choose it? Curious.

Damn, I thought it was just me getting better with make-up.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

I think there is more now, and there'll be even more as time goes on. I think it is a totally different world right now. So much so that I'm not sure I or any of us have a good handle on how different it is. Many kids these days don't have to unlearn anything. They don't have to learn how to be themselves because they've always been allowed to be. Their parents not only tolerate, but encourage and vigorously defend them. They're posting makeup/makeover videos at age 7, doing "drag", living publicly as girls, etc..

Another thing. There seem to be a lot more "pretty" boys. Boys who are indistinguishable from girls. More boys are weight conscious, and aspire to be skinny. A lot of boys seem to gravitate toward and tend to emulate their mothers and sisters. All of this seems to have a place in school and within the family. It is radically different than when most of us grew up. I think a lot of it is a twist on what we've heard for so long, that "girls can do anything boys can do" in reverse.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny22 View Post
    Lygophilia, means 'love of darkness'.... not a feminine name. Why did you choose it? Curious.
    I have a preference for dark personalities, places, and the night. The name played a strong influence by how others perceive me. The other, is my past. Last, are various subjects opposing what normal is, which tend to be a "love" for me, which is considered dark in the minds of others.

I doubt it.

There is more of a tolerance, maybe acceptance than before.
    I live in eastern Pennsylvania and I find that I have not had any issues being dressed. I shop and eat out with no repercussions. Even using the ladies room has not been a problem.
    Years ago this may have been different.
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 11-20-2018 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Discussion of religion of any sort is not permitted and will be deleted

It is getting better out there, slowly though.

Platinum Member
    I think there is more acceptance for certain segments of the transgender community. And, it also depends where you live. You really have to go to one of the websites that tracks laws protecting transgender men and women. There is strong protection in some states such as Washington State, while other states have zero protection. Based upon the rhetoric among certain politicians the forces to push back on this tide of acceptance, if it exists, is strong. For the most part people really do not care what others do unless it impacts them.

Among people I know there is an acknowledgement transgender men and women may be born into the wrong body. They may not understand it, but, they do not dismiss it as a 'life choice' as some politicians view it. Unfortunately, I see uneven acceptance across the stretch of the map. You're still going to have people who will not socialize with transgender men and women, just as they will not socialize with gays and lesbians. Or, people outside their tight knit group of similar people. Unfortunate, but that is the way I see it.

When it comes to a man who wears women's clothing I foresee less acceptance than for transsexuals because most cross dressers do not proclaim they are born into the wrong body. Gender expression is covered under my state's laws. Certain municipalities provide greater protection than the state. However, I really do not see everyone suddenly inviting a cross dresser wearing female clothing to dinner. A sort of "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner!"

Yes we’ve made progress but if the last couple of years have taught us anything is that those sorts of social gains are fragile and need to be protected with constant vigilance and advocacy.