Thread: I told my son

I told my son

Last week I started a thread about telling my children. Well, I did and here’s what happened. First a little background.

I have three sons, ages 30, 28, and 24. When the first was born, we decided to not tell them, mostly out of fear they would tell someone at school and would get picked on. Then it was just easier to not tell. But this means there have been many occasions when I would have liked going out, but had to change plans as one of them was at home. They all three had moved out for a short while. But about a year ago, the middle son moved back in with us. He is a computer programmer for a company that sells robotic equipment. Most days he is out of the house, and some days travels to other places where he sets up equipment and is gone for a few days.

Last week my wife and a couple of her friends planned an all girls Friday shopping trip and asked if I wanted to go too. Of course I did! They all know of Stephanie. But my son planned to work that day for home, so, Thursday night I decided to tell him.

He really took it quite well. I told him that on some days I like to wear women’s clothes. He said “OK”. I told him a little more, and he said “OK” a couple more times. He did ask if his mom knew, and I told him yes, she had always known. And that was it. No fireworks, no problems, nothing. I should have never worried.

The next morning, about the time I started to get ready, he got a call from work and he had to go in after all. I was home and changed before he got back, so he still hasn’t seen Stephanie yet. I’ll keep you posted. Thank you all for your input, Steph!

x16.jpg x17.jpg x18.jpg
    Stephanie

very nice story, however you didn't tell us if you found anything while shopping lol. have a happy thanksgiving.

That's great to hear Steph! I'm considering telling my kids (26 & 29). The only reason I haven't done so yet is because my wife is hesitant. I'm glad it went so well for you.

Elizabeth

Just do it already! DaisyLawrence's Avatar
    What did I tell you? I knew it would be OK

Sounds like he's 'OK" with it.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

Congrats! Kids today are sooo open minded.

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    Certainly are. My youngest son saw me dressed (totally unplanned) and he was completely unfazed. We had a talk, I told him about my 'secret' and that was it, nothing changed. My eldest is yet to know but he will be equally fine with it.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

That's wonderful, and your son sounds wonderful. But he didn't get there by himself, I'll bet. Must be he has wonderful parents

That's great news! He obviously loves his parents and wants you to be happy.

Well, so far so good.

The acid test is when he sees you presenting as a woman.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

What Beverley said, Steph.

It's certainly an auspicious start, but the journey with your son (and later the others, perhaps?) has just begun. Obviously, we weren't there with you to see your son's body language when you made your revelation, but that can sometimes be more telling than what a person actually says in words. As it is, most of his responses appear to have been monosyllabic "O.K.'s " by your account, which to me indicates that he was either stunned and rendered speechless when the bombshell hit, was taking his time to process all that new information about you before saying anything more, or a combination of the two.

As the saying here goes "Baby steps, baby steps". Don't presume just yet that your son is totally on board with all this based on only one conversation, and be sure to gage his feelings before you reveal more details about your "secret life". Also, do it at a pace that he would be comfortable with, lest it all blows up in your face from a TMI standpoint despite your best hopes and intentions.

Since your wife appears to be so accepting and supportive of your crossdressing, it might also be useful for her to participate in some of the future conversations with your son(s) to reinforce the fact that she is actually perfectly fine with your crossdressing, that it is no big deal for her, nor that it should be for any others within your family and circle of friends either.

Stephanie, sounds like a positive outcome. Good for you.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Great outcome.
    Maybe before he meets you, you could show him a selfie or maybe a picture of mum and Stephanie so he has some idea before meeting you in real life.
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

I have told all my kids but they rather I didn't make it more public when they are around. They are not really accepting but but are not fighting me on the subject. They would like me to continue "keeping it at home and private".
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Does he WANT to see Steph? My adult daughter does NOT ever want to see Sherry!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Very happy for you that it was such a positive experience Steph. None of my adult children know and based on some negative comments they passed about gender identity disorder / dysphoria at a recent family lunch I won't be opening up to them. Again, so pleased that yours are more open minded.

That's great.

I told my daughter 24 and son 26 three months ago and it doesn't seem to have changed anything.
    Of course they don't know all the details.
    "This is ME" I am not CRAZY, I'm just a GUY who likes dresses!
    Since allot of men dress up in woman's clothing that makes it a manly thing to do!
    Much more fun than fishing.
    I do construction like house building and I love CD-ing, what's the difference?