Thread: Some observations on observation

Aspiring Member

Some observations on observation

A while ago I watched a telly programme that was all about how the brain works. Unfortunately I can't remember what it was called, what channel it was on, nor how long ago it was. It would have been within the last three years. All of which preamble gets us precisely nowhere.

Anyway, the one thing that I do remember is that they demonstrated how little information the brain needs in order to determine the sex of an individual. They did this by putting 5, I think it was 5 lights, on (the same) various parts of the body of a man and a woman. Then these two peopel walked on a treadmill in the dark so you were presented with just five spots of moving light. It was quite easy to tell which was the woman and which was the man.

Which goes some way to showing that we are hardwired to recognise male and female. There are two other things that we are hardwired to notice, faces, whenever we look at a patten we always look for, and see faces, and the next is movement. The programme demonstrated that a lot of this happens automatically with little to no conscious thought. I suppose that the main reason that we are wired this way is to aid survival. We need to find a mate, and we don't want to be attacked, or eaten by a beast, so being able to see faces and movement is a good survival tactic.

It is also the case that most people simply aren't observant, and for the reasons given above, that we are hard wired to survive, we don't need to be.

These are things that I've recently noticed as I've been out and about. People see us, they make an instant judgement and then, happy that there is no threat, move on. If, a number of yards away, someone sees us and they see a woman, then they're happy and don't look again, as, for survival reasons, there's no need to look again to confirm that they were correct. It goes without saying though that we need to be aware of the second survival trait, in that it is natural to seek a mate, so, if on the first look the person sees a female and they are seeking a female and they like what they see, then they will probably give a second, more considered look. And perhaps there is a lesson in this as to how we can present ourselves so as not to promote that second more considered look, if all we are wanting to do is carry on largely unnoticed.

An example of this occurred yesterday when I left the house. There was a man walking up the hill.towarfs me as I walked to, unlocked and got into my car. This is something that would have mortified me until very recently. The idea that someone would see me in a skirt was not something that I could handle. And it's that which kept me inside for such a long time. But, yesteday I was completely unfazed. Now, this man was walking up the hill towards me, he must has seen me, (but did he observe me?), but as he passed the car he didn't look across, he didn't look in, he merely continued up the hill, on his merry way. And that, in my limited experience is all that's required, throw out some obvious signals, don't mix the message and most people will see you but not observe you as their brain tells them that you're not a threat to them, and of course to survive you need to be looking for the next threat, not wasting time looking at the previous one.

And this brings me on to my fear which I outlined above, the barrier that I have now broken down, that everyone would stare at me, eveyone within a three mile radius would all be looking at me. But no, it doesn't work like that, chances are, that many people within a three yard radius of you won't even notice you. So where did this fear come from? Well, this is the new thought that I've had, now that I'm on the other side of this, it comes from us, it comes from within. My experience now tells me that I had become too hyper-observant, I had trained myself to look at everyone and be aware of everyone, and I made that same assumption of everyone else. My fear was that I would be seen and then observed as a cross dresser, so I was looking at everyone to see if they themselves were a cross dresser, and I was assuming that everyone else was doing the same. But, and yes, it took me a long time to realise this, why would anyone going about their normal everyday business even have the idea that someone that they've seen on the other side of the road, is a cross dresser? They wouldn't. Before the idea that the person in the grey skirt is really a man, they'd be having a million and one other thoughts first.

So, all of this brings me to the point that we (well I) worry because I've taught myself to worry about something that in reality largely isn't there. And at the end of the day, if someone does have a problem with a man walking down the street dressed in women's clothes, then that's their problem, not ours.

And the reaslisation of all of that, didn't only stop me worrying about being seen (to me, a passive act), it made me stop worrying about being observed (an active act).

Just do it already! DaisyLawrence's Avatar
    Wise words well written as usual Charlotte. Hopefully many others in the same position you were in can follow your recent musings and skip to the position you have now reached without the need to go through the whole revelation process. This site, despite its flaws, really can help one to 'find themselves' in double quick time. Come on girls, open the closet door and remember to not dress too sexy for that unwanted second scrutiny.
    Last edited by DaisyLawrence; 11-22-2018 at 06:55 AM. Reason: can't spell

Aspiring Member
    Yes Daisy, the forum helped me and quickly. I was able to place myself to the left of X, to the right of Y and nowhere near Z. And once I knew that, the rest was easy and I knew what I wanted to do, how I wanted to do it, and why it was the right thing for me to do. The reason that I've posted it all on here is to help and encourage others in my (previous) position. The great thing about yesterday (in the shop) was the complete and utter normality of it, and a big part of that was that they knew that I was trans and not trying to pass, but to just be me. Being accepted like that is wonderful

Platinum Member
    Very insightful and relevant observations. Since few of us are physically gifted to pass as women, being read is one of those initially monumental barriers. In my own experience the real emancipation occurs when one can put aside the idea of being seen as a woman, and interact freely with others as a transgender person.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

It only takes a couple of markers, makeup, hair and ear rings with protruding breasts in just about any clothes and people will assume you are a woman.

One reason a we are not recognised by friends is these markers are seen first and destroys any identity.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Hi Charlotte,
    I came to the same conclusion-that we are all read rather quickly, and when people 'don't notice' it is because they see no threat, as you say, and no attraction. They simply do not want to complicate their life by engaging. Which is just fine with me.

If I am in male mode people engage more often, exchange glances and interact a little more with m. A woman may flirt, or at least check me out. A man may be generously friendly. But a lot of the time none of that happens either even in male mode.

I am, like you, very grateful that my presence is accepted, and I can enjoy simple passing conversations with people who are at ease with me. I am deliriously happy now to know I can go out and be feminine out in the world!

I do wear clothes that are attractive in themselves, and I dress like I want to be looked at- which is for my own sense of making clothes count and being happy about how I look to myself, as there are very few people in the world who would find me attractive in a dress, and I am not looking for them. I am sort of a walking advertisement for gender freedom, and so that is what I want from the second, considered look.
    We are all beautiful...!

Banned Read only
    Charlotte,
    The lesson here is you go out presenting as a woman well enough to send that message out , you are not a threat , you are not weird but also you are not a woman but being accepted as Charlotte , it is a subtle difference . Once you accept that and become comfortable with it then you won't encounter too many problems . You have carefully thought about everyday , how little rather than too much works for you . Again I'm going to repeat Pat's words , " Don't overthink it !" The other important thing is don't look for a reaction , at the moment you say nothing happens which is great but that means you are still expecting a reaction .

I think it's wonderful you've made this progression , the World is now your oyster , go out and enjoy it !!

"we wouldn't worry so much about what others think of us when we realize how little they do" I'm thinking this was an Eleanor Roosevelt quote although I couldn't find it on line, so I'm paraphrasing

Aspiring Member
    Teresa, you may have misunderstood my post. It's not written from our point of view, it's to do with how we are, or indeed not, seen. The man walking up the hill and the walking on past me was an eye opener. He saw me from afar and then when he walked past the car where I was sitting he just carried on. Me, I would have had a second look. That's the point, normal seeing against what I have called hyper-observance.

Banned Read only
    Charlotte,
    I understand but hyper-observing isn't that common .

Maybe I can relate a story along these lines . Some days I'm not dressed if I have dirty or unpleasant job to do , also if I have to man handle my mower over the various levels in my garden . An elderly man walks his little Scotty dog past my home everyday , we stop and chat for a few minutes . Last week I had just returned from shopping dressed when I saw him walking up the hill towards me, I started to tidy my garden expecting him to ignore me dressed , he stopped , commented on the weather and complimented me on my garden , my appearance didn't bother him at all . I admit I'm not comfortable being seen in male mode once they've seen me dressed but obviously it didn't concern him at all .

Really!! OK I agree with pretty much all that, but it is way more fun to be noticed, make friends, live life.

Yes people are quick to judge, you can use this to your advantage if your objective is to gain confidence. They are mostly all too busy worrying about their lives to worry about yours.

I get way more attention as I am now than I have ever received before.

OK here’s the thing, what it comes down to, one on one communication. The right attuned and a good presentation goes a long way.

I just smile and I’m very easy going. It’s being comfortable and projecting it. Whether it is from far away or up close.

Work on what works for you. Develop your own style. People do notice. I’ve gotten many comments from people at places I frequent. They usually start with “you always………” wear the cutest shoes, are so put together, etc. I try, I don’t always hit the mark.

When I first started going out I refused to wear pants. Yes I did, I would be on the phone with my best friend, she would be like “don’t wear a dress it’s going to be cold, everyone will be wearing pants”. So the first time I showed up in skinny jeans, my friends were like “what’s this casual Saturday”

Platinum Member
    Honestly, it’s more fun to be noticed than ignored! Talk about a conversation starter!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    Oh, don't worry: People notice people like us!

Just the other day I was puttering about my apartment complex... You know, mundane things like getting my mail, taking out the trash, and doing my laundry in the common laundry-room.
    And in each instance? I came face-to-face with another person!

I'd say all were somewhere in their early 30's to early 40's, all apparently residents in my large building, but also more strangers than neighborly acquaintances, ya know? Though I've been living here a while now, so I'm sure they've seen me before (and I, them).

I was wearing my "standard uniform" of hoodie/running shoes/leggings (technically, those are considered running tights, but whatever ). And I noticed each & every one of them darted their eyes to my legs -- at least once!

Each of the 2 GG's were quite chatty/warm/friendly as we did the whole greeting thing. Would they have been as much if I had been wearing men's clothes? I dunno. Maybe they were just in a good mood that day?

And in the guy's case? He actually seemed a bit "startled" when he first realized what I was wearing! But he then did hold the door open for me, too, in a way that was a bit more formal than casual.

Over the 2-3 years I've been presenting like this, I've found those 2 separate & distinct reactions to be fairly common, as it relates to the other person's gender.

But does it make a difference that I was in "guy-mode"?

Back during my en-femme days, it was pretty confusing for a while, as it relates to all this. It kinda took a long time to finally start getting the hang of it -- and even then, one could never be too sure... Did they see me? Even just a glimpse? Are they pretending not to notice? Why are they looking? Am I being read? Or do they just think they're seeing a good-looking GG & want a second/longer look? Are they trying to figure me out? Are they confused? Am I?? What is going on?!? AARRGGGHHH!!

Honestly, unless one were to stop the other person after the fact, and ask them some questions like, "Did you see that person? What did you make of them? What were your initial thoughts? Why do you think you noticed them?" etc, etc., *and* they answered truthfully... Then you're never really gonna *truly* know the answers to those, and at best with a lot of practice be somewhat able to surmise what was possibly going on at their end.

Anyway, does *everybody* see us? Of course not. And there are a million reasons for that -- including, but not limited to, simply "blending."

However, to deny that at least some people don't notice us sometimes, is a bit laughable.

Ah-May-Lee
    I want people to think I am a threat to them. This way they keep their distance and not engage with me. I also find it's best to be known as the areas psycho person. As I walk past people they talk to each other say did you see that person that passed us, and the other person says yea, but it's ok she's a psycho.

Maybe the idea of wanting people to think I am a threat to them comes from living in rough areas of the city. It's sort of like street rules of the concrete jungle. The idea is to know if the other person is a threat to me.
    In solitude where we are least alone. Byron

Banned Read only
    I don't Facebook. Or tweet, chirp or anything else. I don't even text. But I have watched a zillion documentaries...

Have not yet seen any documentary about "normal" folks reaction. (out in the RW to {mostly} men "dressed wrong")

However, it IS supremely easy to do one's own research on the matter. NO, a million times NO, this research will not. tell you what they are THINKING. But it will show their REACTION to a CDer...

Did they even bother to look away from their cellphone or what they were grabbing off a shelf?

Or pause their conversation with maybe another shopper for even one second?

Did their eyes get big?

Did they shake their head AFTER they passed you?

Look for a second or two and go on about their business?

Make a U turn and stare?

Try to get a pic after their U turn?

ASK if you would mind if they take a pic with you or of you?

Or... (insert drum roll) walk right by you and never bat an eye?

The correct answer is ALL of the above.

People being people. Nothing at all complicated about it.

All of these reactions are a simple matter to document. Simply leave a video camera running in the "baby seat" of your shopping cart while you shop. Lay a store flyer over your camera if you wish.

DISCLAIMER!!! If you are slinking or skulking about like you are up to no good, this ^^^^^ probably won't give accurate results.

"Most" folks in the RW are not out shopping looking to bust CDers. They do not care. WHY on earth would they?