Thread: Did she get it right ?

Banned Read only

Did she get it right ?

A program was shown on Wednesday 21st on Uk Chn4 titled " Trans kids: Time to talk !"

I personally felt Stella O' Malley ( trans woman ) presented the program very well . Some have slated her for a bias but I felt she was sympathetic and honest with the people featured on the program .

The first inteview was with the parents of an 11 year old F/M child . The mother made several interesting points , she was OK with puberty blockers being prescribed but did question if in ten years time she might have repercussions from allowing them to be used . She questioned if she should let puberty take it's course , Stella believed in her case it was a dark period for her but looking back it was right she lived through it to find herself . Later in the program she inerviewed an academic from Bath university who was asked to write a paper on young adults wanting to reverse the procedure , the outcome was they pulled the plug saying it wasn't in the University's interest to publicise it .

The distubing story towards the end was a confronation with non-binary protesters at a meeting in Bristol , the meeting was intended to support women's rites . One of the speaker was a transwoman , OK she was a little upset by protesters bursting in, some wearing masks , but the way she she spoke to the audience was more from the words of a man . I have to say I can see both sides of the argument , the fact that some say they are trans , non-binary doesn't give them all the rites females have , one speaker said that shouting , " I'm non-binary!" from the roof tops, doesn't make you a woman !

Stella shed a tear at the end of the program , she believes children are being misled , it's gone from little or no information to a saturation of freely available information which is not controlled in anyway .

Personally I have had conversations with schoolteachers who are having to take all this on board , the main problem they have is lack of guidance and training on how to deal with it . Maybe the cart is a little before the horse on these issues in the UK . The other problem is the growth of TG communtiy is stretching the NHS to it's limits .

Platinum Member
    I can’t speak to the NHS. But I can speak to ambiguity. We must beware of painting with a broad brush. Gender need not be a gauntlet that kids are forced to run through.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

On top of this is a whole pile of bigotry and unbelieving in the ins and out of the trans community coupled with ignorance and lack of knowledge as to how to help the young people through the agonies of understanding their gender problems and sometimes parents refusing to accept that was is happening will happen instead of trying to shut it down, thankfully in the UK there are more and more programs discussing and opening out to the wider public the needs of these people .
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

We all talk about acceptance, it may be easier now, but it is still bloody hard in the long run.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Before everyone could agree that the the earth revolved around the sun,, since it was so obvious that it didn't, a lot of people's opinions had to be ignored until there was enough evidence and collective focus on the benefits of working with true physics.

Similar work has to be done to sort out the many threads of gender as a social construct, the interactions of family training, social norms and associated powers and privileges, religious doctrines, false beliefs, uninformed beliefs, economic power, etc., not to mention the mysteries of psychobiology and human gender identity.

I think videos that are thorough and helpful can be constructive, but in the end it is more important for all of us to come out and to be people who matter to other people, so that social customs bend around us.
    We are all beautiful...!

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    The NHS? Newport High School? I went to that school and don't remember any gender issues with anyone!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

https://www.nhs70.nhs.uk/

In the United Kingdom they have a government funded health service called the National Health Service or NHS.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...stem-trump-nhs
    The first thing that Americans should know about the National Health Service is that it’s free at the point of use to anyone who needs it. You don’t have to fill out much paperwork, and you get no bills, whether you go to see your family doctor, or go to hospital. No one in the UK goes bankrupt through medical costs, no one needs to delay medical treatment until they can afford it, and virtually no one is uninsured.

The healthcare it provides is … OK. This is a controversial assessment in the UK, as the NHS often ranks as the most popular institution in the UK, more popular than the military and even the royal family, with nurses and doctors being the two most trusted professions in the country.
    Last edited by Maid_Marion; 11-23-2018 at 04:58 AM.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    The other problem is the growth of TG communtiy is stretching the NHS to it's limits .
    I have to disagree here. A lot can be found on the web about the causes of the funding crisis in the NHS. Choices are made and choices have consequences. I have to say that I find that someone here, on Crossdressers,com, a forum for helping and supporting the TG community, appears to be blaming that same community for "stretching the NHS to it's [sic] limits" very strange indeed.

Marion (#7) the NHS is brilliant, and having lived under s self funded system for many years where charges apply for just about everything, then I can say that the NHS is doubly brilliant.
    Last edited by Charlotte7; 11-23-2018 at 05:30 AM.

Just do it already! DaisyLawrence's Avatar
    Good point Charlotte. The cost to the NHS of transgender services may well be growing faster than the budget for such services is increased but it remains a very tiny drip in the ocean compared to the overall NHS budget. To say it is stretching the organisations finances to the limit is a stretch too far.

Banned Read only
    Charlotte,
    Please disregard that remark if you find it incorrect , the NHS was not my point of the thread , I was just bringing the program to light and the presenter , I'm questioning was she right to make her assessment or not , please would you stick with that debate . The only comment to be made about the NHS is the timescale for somethings to happen , that was another point raised in the program , medication good or bad is possibly too freely available on the internet , it was felt too much emphasis was placed on the ability to self medicate through facebook and twitter . Do they have some moral responsibility to take certain steps to control that issue ?

(I gave a talk with two other TG members about our personal experiences within the NHS to a full lecture theatre of NHS staff and other needy groups , spending a day listening to the requirements of so many diverse groups make you realise how much their budget is stretched , we are well down the pecking order which is only to be expected . We may knock it sometimes but where would be without it ? )
    Last edited by Teresa; 11-23-2018 at 06:28 AM.

Aspiring Member
    OK, getting back to the points that I think the OP is about: Is there now too much information? Should puberty blockers be used? How do we deal wth conflicting rights?

No there isn't too much infomation, there can never be too much information. We have to accept that we've come from a very dark place. I often remember an incident that happened when I was about 14 and on a bus going to school. If I was 14 then it would have been 1978-79. At this time I wanted more than anything in the world to be a girl. As you can imagine there were many school children on the bus and from a number of schools. There was one particular girl who got on the bus, she was new, we hadn't seen her before and she went to another school. I would say that we were probably the same age. She was in her school uniform. She had very short hair, unusually short for a girl of that age back then and she had quite boyish looks. She got off the bus before me as her school was earlier on the route. Once she had left the bus, one of the other girls on the bus, from a different school, said loud enough for all to hear "Oh my god! I thought that was a boy in a skirt!" and everybody laughed. And yes, I did think that they were laughing at me. So, if we can move on from that situation to a place where being young and being trans is the new normal, then we're doing a good thing.

Yes, puberty blockers should be used appropriately.

The conflicting rights issue is a difficult one. It many ways what is being sought here are new rights and that means that something somewhere else has to give and when those rights are limited and hard won, then yes, there could be some resentment to that. As an aside here, having followed the debate in the UK I agree that misogyny should be a hate crime though not misandry.

If there is too much uncontrolled information out there then that can easily be countered by the official channels putting out information of their own. If teachers aren't getting enough training then that can be countrered by giving teachers the training that they need. That these things don't happen stems from the same reasons that the NHS is underfunded.

So to sum up, using your horse and cart, the way I see it is that previously we had a horse but no cart, now at least we have a cart, but far from the cart leading the horse, I see the cart is a very long way behind and only just attached to the horse.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maid_Marion View Post
    https://www.nhs70.nhs.uk/

In the United Kingdom they have a government funded health service called the National Health Service or NHS.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...stem-trump-nhs
    The first thing that Americans should know about the National Health Service is that it’s free at the point of use to anyone who needs it. You don’t have to fill out much paperwork, and you get no bills, whether you go to see your family doctor, or go to hospital. No one in the UK goes bankrupt through medical costs, no one needs to delay medical treatment until they can afford it, and virtually no one is uninsured.

The healthcare it provides is … OK. This is a controversial assessment in the UK, as the NHS often ranks as the most popular institution in the UK, more popular than the military and even the royal family, with nurses and doctors being the two most trusted professions in the country.
    Thank u for that in depth info, Marion! Few here in the USA know what NHS stands for in the UK. And, we can only eat our hearts out jealously wishing we had something similar over here!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

1 little correction Teresa, Stella O’Malley isn’t trans she’s GG, she was saying in the program that as a kid she was a tomboy and felt more like a boy and that if the opportunities were available 30 + years ago that are available now she would probably have transitioned but she is now very happy as she is.
    Last edited by Abbey11; 11-23-2018 at 12:18 PM.
    OMG!! Owning my femininity .... and I LOVE it!

Banned Read only
    Abbey,
    I realise my mistake , I apologise to all over this error but her history makes no difference to the content of the program , the issues raised remain valid ones and her final statement still poses the same question , did she get it right ?

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    A program was shown on Wednesday 21st on Uk Chn4 titled " Trans kids: Time to talk !"

The other problem is the growth of TG communtiy is stretching the NHS to it's limits .
    This issue is minor when one considers all the other issues which are stretching the NHS to it's limits:
    1. Brexit has led to a sharp fall in the number of competent applicants applying to work in NHS facilities, which has led to a serious short-fall in the number of doctors, nurses, therapists, counsellors, cleaners …
    2. The NHS has always been underfunded and always will be.
    3. The baby boomers are growing more infirm, yet living longer.
    4. Mental health is gaining in importance.
    5. Addictions account for a disproportionate number of admissions to AandE facilities and the problem is getting worse.
    6. Genetic conditions which, in days gone by, would have been fatal, are now treatable and every faction is clamouring for their particular child's or spouse's condition to be fully funded in terms of treatment.
    7. Drug companies continue to demand to be paid more than they ought to for the drugs they have developed.
    8. Large corporations continue to be under-taxed.
    9. The rich in Britain continue to get richer, and the poor, poorer.

I could go on, but will allow this particular rant to end.

Banned Read only
    GaleWarning,
    While this isn't meant to be a thread about the NHS , I could add to your list after I met other groups demanding NHS support . We were asked to represent the TG community at a NHS meeting to put our case for the support received from the NHS , I personally couldn't fault them but some other speakers were pointing out severe shortfalls .

Some of the major drains are litigation and translation services , I'm afraid there's wide spread abuse from some quarters which have to be plugged , the weakness often lies with senior management .

That's my little rant over !