Thread: A Double Whammy,with a Disappointing End

Aspiring Member

A Double Whammy,with a Disappointing End

I know that I said that I wouldn't post any more of this type of post but I've got to put this one up. Yes, it's another going out story.

Today, I gave a bit of thought as to where I would go and I came up with a local art gallery, and yes, I do quite like art as it happens. I picked the gallery, as I hadn't been there before, because it was local, small, and likely to some have people about, but not many. There should be more people around than when I last went out earlier in the week. It ticked all my boxes. I drove over there, parked the car and then entered the gallery. Well, I didn't exactly enter the gallery as there is a small branch library at the front that you have to walk through to get to the gallery. So I entered the library. As you can imagine there is a desk in the library where the check the books in and out and there were a couple of staff there. They were chatting and they just carried on chatting. There were probably about half a dozen or so people using the library.

I walked through to the rear of the building and finally arrived at the gallery. The gallery consists of two rooms each aout 50 feet or so long and there are probably about 60 - 70 paintings in all. It's great that in this day and age local councils still think that there is sufficient merit in running a gallery and not selling off all the artworks. There was nobody else in the gallery. I worked my way along one side of the first room looking at the paintings, some of which were magnificent. I then got to the second room. As I entered it I could see that there was a person sitting at a table at the far end of the room. I think that she was a sort of attendant, there to make sure that nobody tries to steal a painting I was slightly taken aback as I expected the second room to be empty, like the first. But no. She looked up as I entered and then carried on with whatever it was she was doing - I couldn't see what it was from my end of the room.

I made my way slowly around this second room, full of portraits each step bringing me ever nearer to where the person was sitting. Every now and then I could see her refelection on the glass of one of the pictures and all the time, she just sat there and did whatever it was she was doing. As I passed her we had a brief chat, it turned out that she worked in the library at the front and she was 'out back' eating her lunch. There was one particular painting of Ted Hughes, former Poet Laureate, and who was married to the American poet Sylvia Plath that we both really liked as the light was just right. But we agreed that it might just be that it was a modernish picture and that its brightness shione out when compared with the much gloomier and dark Victorian portraits on either side.

After a while I finished my walk around the gallery but it was a little bit too early to head back home.

I decided that I would head over to the local Sainsbury's to see if I could finally find a hat that I liked.I'm after one of those girly bobble hats. I drove across the town centre and parked in the car park next to the shop. There were a lot more people around that I had been with before but I was happy enough, I got out the car, walked across the car park, entered the shop and walked across the shop to where the TU clothing was displayed. And of course nothing happened, everyone just carried on doing with what they were doing, even the ones who looked straight at me.

But, alas, there is a disappointing end to this tale, a teeny-weeny sadness, nothing compared to what some people have to go through, but sad nonetheless. They didn't have a hat and so I need to keep looking.

So two trips out in the one lunchtime, interacting and passing by loads of people and, at the end of the day, they just don't care. Which of course is great.

On the upshot to the sadness, it's a grand excuse to go out again another day to capture the wily and elusive hat! Happy hunting!

Banned Read only
    Charlotte,
    If it's any help we visit a shopping outlet centre most Thursday evenings , I've found the Moutain Warehouse and the Regatta shop very good . Earlier in the year I found a good selection of hats, gloves and scarves in the clearance basket of the EWM shop . Most shops at the moment are clearing stock in the Black Friday deals , if you're still stuck many charity shops sell new and used items .

I need a hat but the problem is the tight bobble hats make a mess of you hair/wig also there's the risk of pulling your wig off if you're not careful enough taking the hat off .

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    also there's the risk of pulling your wig off if you're not careful enough taking the hat off .
    Thanks for the advice, I'm sure that I'll find what I want. Also, I've selected the bit above becaue I want to reassure you (and possibly make you a tad jealous ) that I shouldn't have any wig problems as I (mid 50s) still have a full head of (non-greying) hair that comes to well below my shoulders. Not that I need to, but I doubt that I could get a wig on

Banned Read only
    Charlotte,
    Not at all , I didn't expect to take on board wearing a wig all the time , I have to admit at £200.00 it was a lot to me but so worth it . It is swings and roundabouts , I can change my whole appearance if I wish with a different style, some Cders do have problems with their hair if they aren't full time , to spend a day having a lovely style cut and set only to stuff it under a hat the next day because you're not out to workmates or family and friends is frustrating and expensive .

Yayyy join the 'Ive got my own hair' club Charlotte . M&S have some very nice bobble hats, including ones with gold or silver woven into the wool, may be worth a look. The outlet centre, Teresa mentioned, M&S SA's are just so helpful, they even ask if we are alright if one of us misses a weekly visit.
    Carole

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum posts both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal action.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Your post is a perfect example of apples and oranges to me, Charlotte!

When I go out dressed in vanilla land I'm always quite nervous and apprehensive!

When I go out shopping it's always in drab. That way no one notices me and I can concentrate on my mission. Which is to buy a new bobble hat or some other fem item I need or want!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I don't know about that...... Sounds like a good reason to go shopping again.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I hope it wasn't a bobble hat with the ear flaps on it with a tassel or ears.

Just do it already! DaisyLawrence's Avatar
    Bobble hat, then it's GOT to be Joules, best bobbles available. Try their Ebay outlet store (extra 40% off minimum today and free delvery). Off you go and shop now.

Charlotte,
    I await your next final going out story. :-)
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.