Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One thing I have always wondered about.......

One thing I have always wondered about.......

why is it that GG's tend to shy away from pantyhose and denounce them, yet embrace leggings and sometimes tights? I have been on some long haul flights lately, and am somewhat jealous of the ladies, as leggings would be much more comfortable than jeans, and they seem to be plentiful in the airport. No, I am not about to "fly pretty", it would ground the fleet for sure!

I think that women avoid pantyhose because they damage very easily, where tights and leggings are more robust.

Michelle

That's the reason I favor leggings. I wear them all the time when I'm out dressed.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I really dislike panty hose because they are so restrictive. Leggings are more comfortable IMO.
    I would suspect CDers wear pantyhose more often than GGs

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    ...I would suspect CDers wear pantyhose more often than GGs
    Someone has to keep the market alive!

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    What about tites? I wear them all the time. They r tuff as leggings but women don't wear those a lot either?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Personally, I think the stocking/panty hose thing of the 1940's is slowly dying (along with blue eyeshadow) - except for the heavy stocking.
    They snag easily, they often slide down making walking difficult if you don't always re-adjust and then there's the constant shaving/waxing requirements.
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachelakld View Post
    (along with blue eyeshadow)
    - haha I still like blue eyeshadow - even though I have brown eyes

Leggings and skinny jeans are more robust and they help me to look smart.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I have a friend who recently came out to her daughter. It went very well and now they pal around and shop together. On a recent outing, as they left their house, she (my friend) said before we go anywhere, we need to stop at a CVS, so she could get some panty hose. The daughter looked at her funny and asked "what are panty hose?" Apparently, a number of youngsters don't even know what these are.
    Stephanie

armchair philosopher ElianaFrozenflame's Avatar
    While it is hard to deny the obvious, that you do not see women wearing them like they used to (1980's-1990's), to say the industry is dieing is an overstatement. None of the prominent hosiery manufacturers have stopped selling pantyhose, nor have they gone out of business. To much of the southern California fashionista's dismay, the bare-leg look is going out of style (who goes bare-legged in London or New York during the winter?). That is not to say that pantyhose is making a "comeback". I doubt it will ever come back like it was in the 1960's-1990's. But the market for it is currently growing.

Tracii, FWIW, I've heard women defend pantyhose. How restrictive they are really depends on the quality and fit of the garment. Just like shopping for a bra, you have to find the right garment. They are not all created equally.

If all I had were drug store pantyhose, I'd hate them too.

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    My observation is that in the summer dresses/skirts are popular to wear, with bare legs. In the winter dresses/skirts are generally worn only for dress up and special occasions, which would then mean that hosiery is worn. It seems like many woman under 40 is wearing leggings 80% of the time, I totally get it, they are comfortable, and accentuate their bottoms and legs to get the looks.
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

Banned Read only
    Tania,
    Whatever you are comfortable with ! Don't forget tights/pantyhose are the same thing in the UK . I never thought I would wear women's jeans or trousers and baulked about wearing tights but it's a practical thing that I accept as the weather turns cooler , just as most women do . I still prefer stockings for the the spring /summer when wearing skirts and dresses but now accept I can get away with bare legs which again I never thought I would be able to do . I have to admit I still don't like leggings but prefer the cut of jeans especially boot cut .

I love leggings and I wear them not only to to work out but also around the house, and when I go out. They are comfortable, warm, and stylish.

As Teresa said in the UK tights and Pantyhose are the same thing. I wear leggings all the time especially around the house. So comfortable to wear. x

I think "self tan" products have had an impact on sales of tights/pantyhose as well.
    My legs would cause snow blindness without one or the other.

fPUUf.jpg

Tights/Pantyhose- what IS the difference? The 2 things mean the same in the uk.

I think the difference is that panty hose are more like nylons, you see skin thru them (left). Tights are not see thru (right).
    20181125_151209.jpg 20181125_151148.jpg
    Stephanie

Thanks hun

Banned Read only
    My wife says she prefers tights and leggings because she does not have to shave her legs like with pantyhose, plus they cover up other blemishes.

Both pantyhose and tights are leg garments. However, they have significant differences. ... Pantyhose and tights as garments are used in the U.S. The word “pantyhose” refers to the sheer, undergarment leg wear, while the word “tights” refers to opaque and thicker leg wear.

In the UK this is different. Pantyhose are tights or as we call them sheer tights in the UK. The thickness depends on the denier of the tights. x

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    I have to admit I still don't like leggings but prefer the cut of jeans especially boot cut .
    Time to throw jeggings into the mix?

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    why is it that GG's tend to shy away from pantyhose and denounce them, yet embrace leggings and sometimes tights?
    I have yet to see a woman wearing pantyhose as outerwear while leggings are often the only item of clothing worn below the waist.

Reality Check
    Pantyhose are worn with more formal dresses and skirts. In the USA, at least, the formal look is fading away. A woman would wear pantyhose to a formal dinner or formal "ball", but in most cases, women are not required to dress as formally for work as they used to be (I'm talking about office jobs, not factory jobs).

It no different for men, male dress standards are more relaxed than in the past.

Tights or jeggings keep the legs warm and cover blemishes or hair.
    Krisi

To one who grew up in the days when all women wore stockings held up by belts and girdles, it is ironic that we have now reached the point where tights are regarded by some women as uncomfortable or restrictive. I well remember the expressions of pleasure in the late 1960s and early 1970s when women could enjoy the "freedom" of tights without the complications and complexity of suspenders. While many women still wore a girdle (now a panty girdle) either because they felt their figure needed one or because it prevented the tights from slipping down, it wasn't long before the better construction of tights, including control top ones, removed the need for a girdle altogether. Now, it seems, even the freedom-giving tights are becoming a nuisance.