Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crossdresser or Transvestite?

Aspiring Member
    I prefer the word crossdresser, but that preference doesn't stop us here celebrating our Tranniversary in late September which is the date that I came out to her all those years ago. Truth to tell, it's a great opportunity for me to slip something grand on, and then have a good feed and a nice bottle

Just do it already! DaisyLawrence's Avatar
    In relation to my biological sex I crossdress so am a crossdresser (I am an English speaker so have no desire to use the latin alternative to a perfectly good English word so transvestite is history, literally).

In relation to my gender identity I am NOT a crossdresser. I am a dresser insofar as I don't go around naked. Now as it happens my clothes are generally purchased from ranges designed for biological women BUT that is irrelevant. My biological sex is also irrelevant because you are not going to see me naked so the only things that matter are my clothing and my gender identity and on that understanding I am not a crossdresser at all (or a transvestite) I am simply another person. No labels needed.

I'm not saying this subject comes up a LOT but is anyone else getting a sense of deja vu?

Thanks all.

Was not expecting an answer but opinions.

I’ll repeat my apology from the opening post about my suspicions that this is a popular subject and support the call to make it a sticky.

Sweet girls, this conversation is turning into a vortex of meanings, all going down into the sea! Do we need to come up with another word, to further confuse matters? Honies, I am a crossdresser. It is what I was called back in the 60's when I began, and , dear ladies, it is what I am now! And, for the life of me, Roxanne loves it!

"My Soul is Feminine"

Roxanne Lanyon
    As Sweet As I Can Ever Be

The term transvestite was coined by sexologist and pioneer LGBT activist Magnus Hirschfeld in the early 20th Century. I guess he thought it was better than the common epithets hurled at men wearing dresses.

Maybe we should start referring to it as the "T" word?
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    Transvestite and cross dresser both mean the same exact thing of course .
    I have always said, ( half joking and the other half seriously ) that a cross dresser is just someone who will not admit that they are a transvestite .
    Remember what Shakespeare said about that rose.

Anyway, neither term applies to a TS.
    Last edited by Barbara Jo; 11-27-2018 at 07:04 PM.

Accept what you are, don't try to mold yourself around other peoples thoughts, make them see you, as for gender, let it evolve around you, don't try to push it in any direction, it will change with time

I was a transvestite until I joined here and became a crossdresser, as it seems to be preferred here. Now I'm a MIAD and agree with Daisy's definition. It's a very sensible comment.
    GeorgeA
    formerly Salerba

"a miad" Man-in-a-Dress

Ummmmm......... YES
    There resides within me a Woman, and she is powerful.
    She has been my Grace and Bearing on the stormiest seas.
    I could no more deny Her than I would my own soul.

Hell-o Dede,
    It’s good to know that you weren’t expecting an answer. If you were, I imagine you might be quite confused right about now. Honestly it’s up to you to decide for yourself which term you may prefer (if either?), and it doesn’t appear that anyone is really gonna give a hoot if you refer to yourself as one or the other. (or a fire truck for that matter!)
    One thing to consider though...I really have know idea how you found your way to this forum, but you may have noticed it is titled Crossdressers.com, and you decided to become a member. Soooo???

And Daisy, I thought you said “I’m an English speaker”, and then you throw a deja vu at us. What the Hell? Parlez-vous français aussi bien que l'anglais?

Much Love,
    Kristyn
    Last edited by Hell on Heels; 11-27-2018 at 10:26 PM.
    I smile because you are my friend, and
    I laugh because there is nothing you can do about it!!!

Just another 'Gurl'
    I like both. But when I am feeling sexy and a little frisky I prefer if the man I am with refers to me as his little "tranny or transvestite."
    Last edited by Kitty Sue; 11-28-2018 at 12:13 AM.
    Just another man in a dress

Lots of people similar to me on the internet call themselves femboys, so I mainly use that or crossdresser if I choose to even explain what I do.

Aspiring Member
    They mean the same thing.
    "Trans" is Latin for "across".
    "Vestis" is Latin for "garment".