Thread: Today was a local Pride event.

Today was a local Pride event.

I went once before three years ago. It is where I found the local TG group. I attended the weekly meetings for a year. I’m going to start going again, next meeting is in two days.

So I had planned on wearing a skirt that I had made. Last night I put it on. The skirt is great, but the blouse I bought needs to be taken in. I could do it but if something goes wrong. No worries I have a new sun dress as a backup. So instead of wearing this kind of costume look I went as me.

My best friend picked me up and drove. I had this personal thing I had to do at the Apple store that’s only like a block from the event. They open at 11 and the event starts at 12.

We get to the store, my friend drops me and parks the car. The people at the store were great, they helped me as much as they could and set me up with a phone appointment at 2pm. I figured my friend would be bored with everything by then.

I didn’t expect to be finished that quickly, we were a half hour early, so like the first ones there, almost. It was nice being able to just walk up and say like hi and talk to everyone. A few of the people I know from group. There are in multiple booths because of the multiple originations. Everyone there is great, they can tell I’m TG and seem genuinely happy to see me.

It’s been close to two hours so we have to go back to the car and put more money in the meter. On the way we take a shortcut through Ross. Ok it wasn’t shorter and we had to wait in line. Behind me in line is a lady that is in the next band. She is buying a hat and sunglasses. She asked about the lay that one of the vendors had given me. I gave it to her.

On the up side I have a couple new dresses and pair of shoes. We drop off at the car, now to find a bar. The event is like down town so you can walk everywhere.

We are at the bar, I’m about finished with my drink, I check the time and it’s two. The phone rings, it’s Apple, I take the call and walk out back where there is an open air patio. Fewer people, easier for me to hear. At one point they wanted some SN# s. First I needed a small pin to open up this small compartment. He said an earring will work. He was right, I pulled one out and it worked. The other one was on the back of the device. It was so small, I couldn’t read it even with my glasses. I got up and asked these two twenty somethings if they can see. I handed the closest one the I Pad and asked if she could read the SN#. She did and I thanked her. I finished the call. I thanked the girls again and offered to buy them a drink. They declined, and I’m off to rejoin my friend.

She wanted to go back to the event. WE did have a slight detour on the way, Victoria’s secret. We are back, the music is playing, and we are dancing. There is a brake and this girl from group comes over, she says hi. After she left I turned to my friend and said “a lot of people here know me from group”. She is like everyone knows you. I guess to her it may seem that way. Than this girl asks to take my picture, I said yes and posed. I received a lot of complements on my dress.

We are leaving, there is a man heading toward me caring a cane. A woman at his shoulder guiding him. I recognize him and start crying. Thankfully I’m wearing sunglasses. He is the same blind man I helped three years ago.

There were a few other times that brought me to tears like when I walked up to the suicide prevention booth. I had to walk away, I couldn’t talk.

I mentioned Apple in this. This is not about Apple. I would like to commend them. I introduced myself as Jean. I now do this everywhere, even when I know I will have to show ID. When I show ID I simply say this is my legal name. They have passed this information along and everyone has addressed me as Jean.

I imagine going out dressed, especially at a pride event, could at times be a big emotional experience.

Jean, sounds like a good time! It is great to be out and about as our true selves! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

What a great day, Jean! Very happy for you.
    It's admirable what a difference you've clearly made to others too.