Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about going on a GNO

Thinking about going on a GNO

I'm trying to summon up the courage to go on a GNO. What are they like and is there a group of gals in the Asheville, NC area that can help me feel comfortable expressing my feminine side in public? I would really appreciate the help and support! Nikki
    Wearing my fuschia bodycon dress:
    http://imgur.com/6WkdAts
    For the first time, outdoors during the day:
    http://i.imgur.com/RmjIxbY.jpg

Hell-o Nikki,
    They’re just like a night out with the guys, the difference is that you won’t get chastised for ordering a Cosmo or a Lemon Drop.
    I believe you’re still allowed one phone call should things get outa hand? I’d also recommend keeping a credit card with at least $500 available credit with you at all times should you need to post bail!
    Other than that...just go have some fun!
    Much Love,
    Kristyn
    I smile because you are my friend, and
    I laugh because there is nothing you can do about it!!!

Nikki, i have had several GNO's personally I have found them a LOT better than a night out with the guys as I always find that pretty boring. Some of my nights out have involved a nice dinner or a coffee with a group of girls, others have involved dancing, partying, drinking and kicking up our heels... all fantastic in their own ways. Remember the concept of being out and blending is out the window.

I hope you can find some local girls to meet up with, I always make sure I have enough cash on me for a taxi and some.
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

I would love to come to an Ashville GNO. Always lots of fun when a group of Carolina Gals get together. The “Greensboro Girls” get together most every weekend for dinner or drinks and they are delightful. Let’s rally our local friends and plan your best ever GNO.

Nikki,

Just being in the company of like minded souls will make your day. It's an opportunity to chat, share experiences, make new friends.

Don't hesitate, just go for it.

Yes, just do it. You'll love it. As to what they're like, well that depends. The ones I attend tend to be very civilised with just a few girls getting glammed up and having a chat over a meal and drinks. But there are events that I've seen advertised that have a more seedy side to them and attract male admirers. Best to check beforehand unless that's your thing - lol. (Knowing you, I assume not!)

Nikki, I go semi-regularly and they are great. I group of girls that you can relate to and talk with is liberating.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Every night was a GNO for me when I was eighteen.

Hanging out with the guys instead was a real bummer.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Read only
    Nikki,
    Simple answer , a lot of fun and you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner .

I know the big concern is how to dress and will your makeup be good enough ? If you can find someone with pictures of previous events check them out to see how the other girls present themselves . The main point is where will the GNO take place , if it's in a private venue then presentation is a little more flexible . If it's in a public place like a hotel then maybe dress it down a little and don't be tempted to go OTT , once you find your feet and gain confidence you can start to do your own thing , it's always hard for a newbie but everyone is on your side , they have all experienced the first time !

I second Teresa's comment "you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner". I was thinking about going to my local GNO in April or May, and never ended going until September. Mostly worried about not fitting in. But mine accepts girls of all types and has been one of my favorite things to do every month since.

I presume that GNO is a night out with other TGirls - which sounds like quite a hoot. Or is it a night out in costume with a bunch or real girls? Or a mixture of the two? Now that would be fun.
    Last edited by MiniRock; 11-30-2018 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Forgot the question marks

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    What a coinkidink! Tomorrow is T girl nite at Hamburger Mary's in Long Beach! With 500 folks there? You'd hardly be noticed but be everyone's friend u talk to! That's what it's like, Nikki!

The more girls, the less u stand out, more u fit in. Even true for Sherry!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Hi Nikki! I am also contemplating an outing with other girls in the future, and Asheville isn’t too terribly far from me. I would love to have another newbie to venture out to dine and shop with, along with some gals who have been out before. Keep me posted, and if the date works I’m in. Sara

I need to figure out how to approach my wife and ask her to be ok with me going out.

That's a bridge too far for many wives Nikki. Not impossible, but it usually takes quite some doing. Ask me how I know.

I'd guess the odds are against such a group in Asheville. Statistically (Williams study), there are almost 30,000 TG folk in the greater Asheville area. A fair share of them will be FtM, so you're already working with a small pool.

Now... I hope I'm wrong, and if I'm not, I certainly hope you can get something going in that area, because there is nothing to compare to a girls' night out. Maybe some like minded neighbors here will reach out (I'm looking at you, Asheville lurkers). You could also contact a support group, which will almost certainly exist in a community that size. And lest anyone conflate the two again, a GNO and a support group are not the same thing. Just suggesting that the former is more common and might lead to the latter.

Happy hunting, Nikki, and if you're ever in Houston, you're welcome to join us.

I've been to Asheville, en homme, and with my wife, but I remember this slogan about Asheville:

“If you’re too weird for Asheville…you’re too weird."

But, now I understand the real problem:

I need to figure out how to approach my wife and ask her to be ok with me going out.

My wife had been out of town a lot, taking care of her parents, and my daughter moved into an apartment with her friends, so I had a lot of time alone. I found a group of local girls, and went out with them a lot, without having to ask permission. When my wife was home, I just told her that I was going out drinking with "the guys", which was technically true. What I didn't tell her it that all "the guys" were wearing dresses. The lies and deceit got to be too much for me.

I used what looked like a PowerPoint briefing to ask her "permission" to go yo the Keystone Conference for 4 days, and she agreed. What she didn't know was that I was going to go with or without her permission. What I didn't know was that she gave me "permission" because she thought it would get it out of my system. I guess it didn't get it out of my system, because I'm planning on my 8th consecutive Keystone Conference this March.

I don't think anyone knows what will or will not work on their wife.

Here's a pic of my Halloween GNO

https://www.meetup.com/Washington-Tr...440/#475841440

There were a bunch of teenage GG soccer players there for a competition:

https://www.meetup.com/Washington-Tr...440/#475841863

They couldn't help but take some pics of all the "girls" enjoying themselves on Halloween.

And, here's one of me as a mermaid:

https://www.meetup.com/Washington-Tr...440/#475841903

How could all that not be fun and empowering.
    Last edited by Sometimes Steffi; 12-09-2018 at 10:27 PM.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Wow Steffi! What a great turnout you had for Halloween. I thought maybe we could get 5 or 6 girls to come out in Asheville. Gotta crawl before we walk. Hopefully some other local or semi-local girls like me will chime in and we can get something started.

I haven't been able to connect with anyone in my neck of the woods.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevenkittycat View Post
    Wow Steffi! What a great turnout you had for Halloween. I thought maybe we could get 5 or 6 girls to come out in Asheville. Gotta crawl before we walk. Hopefully some other local or semi-local girls like me will chime in and we can get something started.
    One of girls got this started by having GNOs at her house. That was OK as long as it was under 20 or so girls, but once we started hitting 20 consistently, we moved to a public venue. Many times we've had wonderful interactions with the normals (mostly GGs) that make the events really something to remember.

For example, there were two occasions where some of the GGs were bemoaning the fact that us girls were (a little, LOL) better endowed than they were. I graciously allowed these GGs to try on my forms and take them for "a test drive". Unbelievably fun.

I don't want to make you jealous, but last Christmas, we had over 90 girls at a soiree.

https://www.meetup.com/DC-TransLadie...282/#466830574
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

You should think about attending Keystone in March. It's like a GNO on steroids. It's safe, accepting, educational and a lot of fun. I attended the Southern Comfort Conference in September and while it was much smaller that Keystone, it was still fun. Those are great ways to scratch your GNO itch and make some friends.

Silver Member
    Nikki, ask your wife to go along! Sometimes, wives do on a GNO, I'm told.

Nikki,

I have been to a couple outings in Charlotte and had a great time. Connie.Marie invited me on both occasions however I don’t think she gets out so much now days.

One place I believe Connie and others from here have gone to in Asheville is Scandals. I had an invite to go there once but couldn’t make it.

I would enjoy a chance to get out again. Keep in touch.

Dee
    CD Life

Quote Originally Posted by Anne K View Post
    You should think about attending Keystone in March. It's like a GNO on steroids.
    Sort of. I think it's a GNO on Estrogen, not steroids!
    Last edited by Sometimes Steffi; 12-09-2018 at 10:29 PM.

I'd so like to go out with gals living within a reasonable drive of Asheville...just have to figure out how to approach the wife about the idea.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Dee...I've heard of Scandals but don't have any idea what it's like. Trying to figure a way to get the ok from the wife to get out as Nikki