Thread: From baby steps to leaps of faith

From baby steps to leaps of faith

I have been mainly crossdressing the last 5 years always feeling like something was missing.
    I have made the appointment to see a dr about HRT and meet with a therapist.
    Just making the appointment was huge for me. I have no idea what either of them will say but time will tell.

Thanks to everyone who has posted in the past to help me make this decision.

Heidi
    hugs and more hugs

Rhandi

Aspiring Member
    Indeed, it's a journey and not a race. Good luck!

Good luck!!

There is an element of "taking a leap of faith" in all of this. It really helps to talk it through with somebody that can help you parse through any bad thinking habits or false assumptions you are telling yourself if you have any
    I am real

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    Best of luck.

I thought I was ready a couple of time to move along, but the chance to talk about my issues and reflect on possible options proved valuable. If I'd gone into HT without that thoughtful consideration I doubt I'd be as comfortable and calm as I am now. I know there are plenty of local Denver girls who have trod this path and if you haven't reached out to them, it may be time to strike up their acquaintance. I've benefited from the long conversations I've had with others in my community and highly recommend that kind of personal connection.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Sarah,
    I am meeting this evening with a friend that is well down the transition path and been on HRT for a period. WE are talking about it and what I expect to achieve from HRT.

Thanks for the advice
    hugs and more hugs

Rhandi

Katya, that is a wonderful way to explain the path we are following!

Respectfully, Heidi, you may be putting the cart before the horse. Then again, you may have a therapeutic history I don't know about. If not, consider talking to the therapist first. You are contemplating undergoing a medication regimen that can have irreversible effects and no small amount of dangerous side effects. If you truly need it, there is no substitute, of course, but the prudent thing to do is to sort that out first. A few more weeks or months is a trifle when weighed against the gravity of embarking on HRT.
    Last edited by Aunt Kelly; 12-05-2018 at 12:06 AM.

Aunt Kelly, I agree completely with you. What I really expect is this to be a consult from the DR. ANd if she indicate therapy for me I will take that step at this time.
    After talking to my friend last night, I am evaluating what I want to accomplish with HRT. I am not ready to type all of this here, however a main thing is to assist in becoming the female I have always felt I am.
    I could have been self medicating and know the dangers of this, that is why I am taking these steps. Thanks for the advice and concern.

Heidi
    hugs and more hugs

Rhandi

Heidi - You rock !!!! Good for you. I started HRT 3 months after starting with my therapist but there is no guideline for what is right for everyone. Aunt Kelly gave you good advice and you seem to be on that path anyway.

I am a strong proponent for finding the RIGHT therapist for you. I do think a handful of people can do this successfully without therapy but I think they are the exception not the rule. Unfortunately I think some people don't click with their first therapist and quit altogether. Not a good idea.

I really like what I read in this thread. Your future looks bright. It won't all be easy, everyone that has transitioned if you choose to can tell you that it's not easy but living your truth is well worth it.

Best Wishes
    Kim

Aspiring Member
    I didn't have a therapist but it doesn't mean I didn't sort out things for myself. Might I add over the years, not months. With that being said, I decided in principle in favor of hormone therapy before seeing endocrinologist but then I went to see him to consult from medical perspectives - risk factors, type of meds, dosage, etc. What I am trying to say is that you should not expect the doctor to diagnose you with gender dysphoria (they will have to, to prescribe meds). This is something for you to figure out before the appointment.
    Katya

We are just giving opinions here and as such opinions will differ. That is the point of a forum - someone brings up a topic and then people weigh in.

So..... Mine is - A therapist is for sorting out your feelings / thinking / plans etc. Figuring things out. A medical doctor is for your physical health and prescribing medications etc. A psychiatrist is a blend of the two a medical doctor that prescribes medications related to emotional / psychological - psychiatric issues.

In my experience I saw a therapist to work on my gender feelings and plans to transition. Then saw a second therapist for confirmation. And after that saw the medical doctor to get the appropriate medications.

We are all adults and make our own decisions. If someone chooses for informed consent then that is their choice. If they go further and choose to self medicate that is also their choice but a risky one. I do think at the very least informed consent is wise. If anyone starting on this path asked my opinion I would advise a therapist first.

Friends,
    I have taken your advice to heart and have decided to get therapy prior to moving forward with HRT. More to come on this

Heidi
    hugs and more hugs

Rhandi

I have made the initial contact with a therapist. Interesting discussion! SHe asked what I wanted out of therapy, and the answer was "I am not sure that is what I hope you can help me with"
    I am keeping a verty open mind regarding therapy and not making it all about transition and hormones.

More to come.
    hugs and more hugs

Rhandi

I feel like I won a million dollars. I met with my therapist for the first time on friday. It was an amazing session even though it was an intake session. Inleft with homework prior to the next session. The questions are not easy to answer. For me, if I am being honest with myself I might not like the answer I come up with. I did not even think twice scheduling session 2.

Ladies, thank you for the advice and comments to help with this journey

Heidi

That great Heidi and you're so right to approach it with an open mind and everything on the table, not just here to talk about gender topics. It's really about you being happy in yourself, whatever that might mean, and not to prejudge it. I really like that you're open enough to know that "if I am being honest with myself I might not like the answer I come up with" because that's so important. Best of luck with everything and keep us posted. Onwards and upwards

Sorry, don't know how I missed this thread! So happy you are happy with seeing a therapist! Mine is wonderful and asks those hard questions as well! Best wishes with your HT! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix