Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are Petticoats Fun to Wear ?

Are Petticoats Fun to Wear ?

Love how they look and puff out dresses but have never had the chance to wear one

Did you ever have a chance to wear one and have fun memories or are they too much work

Are they Fun ? To get a really puffy look do you need more than one or a special type ?

Any recommendations or thoughts would be great

Genderblur Francene Lola Dupree's Avatar
    One of my very early exposures to crossdressing was wearing my grandmother's petticoats in secret when I'd stay over.

I do find them a lot of fun and exuberantly feminine, but you need to make sure you have a suitable dress to get the puff effect. Also matching the length of the petticoat to suit the dress is more difficult than it would appear in my experience. Many failed outfit combinations.

xXx

Banned Read only
    Well my first foray into cross-dressing was my sister's square dancing dress complete with ruffled pantaloons and crinoline.

I always thought they were fun to wear.

Twice to the mall. Red, sleeveless, 50s style dress. Had fun! .

- Lydianne.

If you buy one on line just realize that some are very rough on the skin, and even worse so if you have sensitive skin. I have a couple that are more like nylon with sewn in ruffles that help do the same thing and they are very smooth and soft. Otherwise they do fluff out the dress or skirt, almost too much.

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    I’ve worn just a few in my dressing experiences but mostly fetish wear such as maids dresses.
    But yes they are quite fun and feminine

Gold Member
    I have a crinoline that I got from Romance Dresses. It makes your skirt stick out
    almost 20" in each direction. You can hardly walk down a flight of stairs with out your skirt rubbing
    against both sides of the walls. A lot of fun to wear, but not so much when you try to sit down.
    It is somewhat like a Square dance outfit.
    rader

I love the look, but there a lot of cons. Cheaper ones don't feel very nice (so you need something between petticoat and legs such as slip or hose. Cheaper ones may not have enough poof. You have to match the lengths. And possibly match colors. Certain types you should avoid sitting in one too long otherwise you squish down the poof in the back. Storage is a hassle (take up a lot of space and don't want to ruin the symmetry of the poof). But they look so nice.

Despite having 2 petticoats, I just prefer skirts with built in layers for a similar effect. While they aren't as poofy they are way easier. So they are in the rotation way more often.

I love it. I like my A-line skirts and vintage dresses, a crinoline just completes the look. I wouldn't say the style is very 'blendable' for going out so I'd only wear one if it were for a specific sort of thing (I dunno, a rockabilly event, costume party, some sort of vintage affair). But there are advantages. They accentuate your hips and waistline, giving a better hourglass impression, and the way the skirt flares out, no need for tucking. Plus, if it is a little chilly, the material acts a little like a layer of insulation. You want the crinoline to be the same length as your skirt (more or less, you have some wiggle room). Additionally, just a peek of the crinoline under the hemline is a cute look, but you can also use it as an accent depending on what color dress/crinoline. Lastly, the flared skirt with crinoline really encourages one to sit like a lady!

Yes, they are wonderful, the full petticoat is a great garment to wear under a square dancing dress.

They give a fantastic look with 60s wear.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Robbie:
    They are almost mandatory to propery poof out my 50's vintage dresses.

Zoey

With the right dress they're pretty cool.
    The thin I hate most about them is that one ball gown or wedding dress can take as much space as 10 to 15 dresses and when you need to hide your stash that a lot of space!
    "This is ME" I am not CRAZY, I'm just a GUY who likes dresses!
    Since allot of men dress up in woman's clothing that makes it a manly thing to do!
    Much more fun than fishing.
    I do construction like house building and I love CD-ing, what's the difference?

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Nonsense, Judy! I have over 10 petticoats? Many r quite long. However, they ALL stuff down into small plastic bags with no damage!

Robbie, the problem with petticoats is the wide variety of length, thickness, and density they come in. It's almost necessary to buy one for a particular skirt/dress! However, I have had good luck stacking them one on top another. Short, thick ones underneath; long, thin ones on the outside!

I am wearing 5 petticoats under this dress!

P1160581 (581x640).jpg
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I wore one at 15 years old and it was OK. It was a prom dress oh and the prom was fun too.

Aspiring Member
    Yes!! Especially if you have a french maid outfit to go with it. Sherrii

Aspiring Member
    I have a petticoat that goes with a knee length retro style dress that I have traveled with a couple of times. When I ordered it from Amazon I observed how they pack them to ship them to take as little room as possible. I pack the petticoat by first folding it down as well as I can into a shape that will fit in a gallon ziplock bag. Once I have it in the bag I squeeze out all the air I can. So far I have not had any trouble poofing it back out and they take up surprisingly little storage space.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    I wore one at 15 years old and it was OK. It was a prom dress oh and the prom was fun too.
    Tracii, You went to the prom in a dress? Good for you!!
    Crissy

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I did and I have shared that story here before.
    Its a long story and would take a few cold beers to tell it all.

When My wife was alive we square danced. we were poor people so I would make her petticoats. some of them were called 50 yard petticoats. Yes I wore them when I could. One year I made my wife and second daughter matching outfits with each of the girls having matching white petticoats except my daughter's had Red bias tape with sequins sewn on the 50 yard bottom edge. My wife's was white bias tape. I made my own bias tape It took me two weeks to make both petticoats. I also made for the two , and my son and Myself outfits including a vest for each of the four of us. We wore them at a fashion show in Indianapolis at a national square dance convention. I made my wife a black 50 yard petticoat (which I modeled for her).
    so yes I was wearing petticoats under full circle skirts off and on since 1964 but never out of the house. After my wife passed away I did wear in public a poodle skirt with a 25 yard petticoat at a CD meeting in Atlanta GA. (Phoebe Reece you were there).
    I like to wear them. I still have that pastel pink one in the closet.

Guess I could say I like them for the feel and the good time memories with my wife.
    Last edited by Leslie Mary S; 12-09-2018 at 01:46 PM.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

Ive got several, but I love the pin up look and every pin up girl needs a petticoat.
    i am what I am, I do what I do..
    i do not seek approval from others.

Banned Read only
    Robbie,
    Of course they're fun to wear , it's one of those real girly moments to enjoy . As a member of my social group says he loves the few hours to live his boy hood dream .

I remember clearly my sister wearing them for her ballroom dancing , I just couldn't resist them as soon as the house was empty .

A French Maid outfit just doesn't work without one , I bought mine some years ago as a complete package , black satin dress, apron , petticoat ,matching full panties and neat head cap . It doesn't get worn often but I'm not tossing it all away .

I agree with Macey. I wear them at home regularly wth skater dresses and fit & flair dresses. I prefer the soft ones - not too poofy. They give me a swing to my step that I enjoy.

Vale

A friend of mine when we were in our teens had a sister that had three petticoats and five pairs of pettipants had a Gr8 time o yes back in the day.

Silver Member
    I had some and wore them back in the 50s. I actually inherited them from my sisters. There are different type/uses for petticoats. If you watch some of the 50s tv shows you will see adult women wearing them under their more formal attire. I remember girls wearing them to school and on the school bus. These were more puffy than what adult women usually wore. When I started wearing skirts with the petticoats out my sisters clued me in to wear a half slip under them because they are scratchy. Even with nylons on some were. Back then girls didn't wear nylons always. One night I wore a garter belt and and one of the seams rubbed in all the wrong places. Even through my patties. From then on I was careful to wear a slip. It was fun to sit in the car and have your skirt almost a foot high with the lacy petticoats showing. Of course your skirt would slide up or actually down toward your hips.