Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are Petticoats Fun to Wear ?

Quote Originally Posted by dana digs sweaters View Post
    I like your look.
    The first shot looks like a 25 yard petticoat and the other 3 are 15 yard petticoats.
    the hose you have on in the third photo, the ones with the seam down the back. has interesting heels. The top of each leg it looks like a hole or cut-out.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

Tracii, would you care to retell the prom story or give a clue whereabouts in your 18000+ posts it can be found?

Platinum Member
    I have several petticoats which 'puff' out the skirt of a dress. Fun to wear. Petticoats range from maybe several layers with a little 'poof' to the square dance or French maid type. If you're headed to a theme party dressed for the 1950's or early 1960's then a poodle dog skirt and petticoat are fun.

Aspiring Member
    I have several big petticoats. They are lined so they are not scratchy. I have worn one in public with a halter neck fifties dress and it was great fun. I was staying in a country house hotel and asked the receptionist what she thought about me wearing this. She asked to see the dress and came to my room. She urged me to go for it and I did. I even wore stockings which I hardly ever do. It was wonderful but it was quite difficult to get my seat close to the table for dinner. At a fashion show I wore a less bulky one and just like the fifties dress it peeked out beneath the dress. They are fun.

I have a few and have had a few more. They can really help your figure.

I tried wearing one of my bulkier ones as extra insulation for a walk in the woods under a heavy long wool skirt. It was 12 degree below zero (Fahrenheit) and I realized why they were invented in the first place back in the dark ages.

Twelve degrees below zero and you're out in the woods in a skirt??? Please tell me you had some leggings on as well! :-O

Oh, I have never had the honor to wear one. Should I? What will it be like, girls? Will I be pretty and sweet in one? Oh, I think I would like to try one under the right circumstances, What would the right circumstances be, anyway?
    Love, Roxanne Lanyon
    As Sweet As I Can Ever Be

Petticoats are made for dancing don't you think? I love jiving, and this year met my lovely friend Len who's a great dance partner. We live in London and there's a monthly jive evening at the Rivoli Ballroom; a great night out!
    I've not found a decent petticoat brand in the UK and buy them from the U.S. - either Sam's or Malco Modes. I've altered the length so they're exactly right for the dress.

rivoli4.jpgrivoli5.jpg

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    Fun? Not at all look how sad I look in one..... never again
    Attached Images Attached Images

Aspiring Member
    my first memory of cross-dressing is when I was 4 or 5 years old. I just had to try on my sister's white petticoat. Now 60 years later, I still love them: one small one for wearing as a French maid, and two larger, full ones. They are the most feminine thing to wear, but I've rarely wore them out of the house.

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the stiffened petticoats that were designed to provide support for wide skirts but without all the layers. Materials such as "paper nylon" and various stiffening agents were used to make the slip stand well out from the legs. Wearing one gives a completely different experience from the multi-layer nylon net types, more like that of a hooped petticoat but somewhat less extreme. With the petticoat and skirt held out well away from your legs you wouldn't feel the skirt at all, giving complete freedom for the legs. Obviously, though, if the skirt was on the short side the danger of exposing stocking tops was somewhat greater and you had to be careful when sitting down. The plus side was the freedom from the scratchiness of the net petticoats and ythe much lighter weight.

Aspiring Member dana digs sweaters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Mary S View Post
    I like your look.
    The first shot looks like a 25 yard petticoat and the other 3 are 15 yard petticoats.
    the hose you have on in the third photo, the ones with the seam down the back. has interesting heels. The top of each leg it looks like a hole or cut-out.
    Certainly you do NOT think that those models are moi?
    Certainly they are women
    Of course, what crossdresser wouldn't love to have such sensational legs like those two ladies?

Quote Originally Posted by Roxanne Lanyon View Post
    Oh, I have never had the honor to wear one. Should I? What will it be like, girls? Will I be pretty and sweet in one? Oh, I think I would like to try one under the right circumstances, What would the right circumstances be, anyway?
    Love, Roxanne Lanyon
    You have got to try one on. just find yourself a full circle skirt to wear over it. If Your "Can Can" Slip is of a stiffer material or it doesn't have a inner lining, you might want to try using a half slip next to your legs.
    Good petticoats are made with a soft material on the inner most layer. You need the stiffer material to make them really stand out. At the top is about a six to 8 inch single rayon section that has the elastic at the top and the tiers attached to the bottom. This keeps the wearer from looking like she has fat hips. People who commercially make them for the square dance world have quit using the traditional crinoline net and use a material that is much softer.
    At first you will feel a bit awkward in it because it take a bit of skill to navigating in it (Going trough normal width doorways). Once you get out in the open make a quick turn and then turn back. try some spins too. They have their own feel.
    They are measured in "yards" That is the length of all the material used in all the tiers (normally two to four tiers) the fullest are 100 yard long.
    The first one I made for my wife (50 yards) back in 1963 coast about $6 USD.
    Now they run from $35 to $150 new.
    Last edited by Leslie Mary S; 12-08-2018 at 12:56 PM.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

I enjoy petticoats. It goes back to when I was very young seeing them in the movies with pretty dresses and costumes. I thought they looked so cute and feminine. I bought one for my first maid uniform and loved lace and the flare out of the short dress. Later I found some square dance dreses and petticoats used and so had to have them. I mainly dress to enjoy wearing at home and photo ops but have worn occasionally to dress up parties, Halloween. Thye are fun to twirl when dancing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Silver Member
    Hmmmm .. since petticoats seem to be so loved by CDers who wear/wore them, why was 'punishment' often used in connection with them? Can't help but wonder.

I'm kind of a big fan of vintage 50's style dresses (or at least that's what they're called on Amazon, not sure how accurate that description is), so I've got a couple petticoats to wear with those and I really dig 'em. It just feels right since the dress was made with the intention of having the extra volume underneath.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    So many photos of 1/2 slip petticoats, if in fact all r petticoats? Some short ones r called something else, too. Crinoline, I believe?

But, full petticoats r more spectacular in my mind! Here's an old pic of mine:

IMG_1966 (3) (479x640).jpg
    Last edited by docrobbysherry; 12-09-2018 at 12:43 PM.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

some of the long length dresses have a hoop structure nuder the petticoats to hold them out and that way the wearer is cooler in the summer and carries around a lot less poundage. I did make one hoop structure. used bamboo strips in the hoops. Never again.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:

Most everything I have to wear requires either a hoop skirt or a petticoat and they are the big influence in how I started in dressing up. They make all the dresses poof out so nicely and make them very fun to wear, love how they look in the end! You feel like a princess as you look at yourself in the mirror!

Can you ever wear too many Petticoats ?

Their is a gal on Flickr Deedee Fullskirt that looks like she is wearing like 5 or 6 ! She is clearly having lots of fun

Slip Into Something Femme Piora's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dana digs sweaters View Post
    You're singing my song, Dana! I have a pair of French Heel like the model is wearing in the third photo. Love the petticoat as well. I've only bought stockings and garter belts from SiL, but I'd love a couple of these petticoats. The only petticoat I have is one that came with a French Maid costume I have. I love it, although I don't wear it much.

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Mary S View Post
    Sorry Leslie Mary, but those photos are models from Secrets In Lace. But I'm sure Dana would rock that look anyway! The "cut-out" at the top of FF seamed stockings is called the "keyhole". It's created as part of the manufacturing process. Non-seamed FF stockings don't have that, only seamed ones.
    Last edited by Piora; 12-09-2018 at 11:49 AM.
    "Taking the time to be in touch with my feminine side"

Quote Originally Posted by Piora View Post
    Sorry Leslie Mary, but those photos are models from Secrets In Lace. But I'm sure Dana would rock that look anyway! The "cut-out" at the top of FF seamed stockings is called the "keyhole". It's created as part of the manufacturing process. Non-seamed FF stockings don't have that, only seamed ones.
    Thank you. to date I have NEVER worn any seamed stockings but have worn several petticoats during the manufacturing of them for my wife and two daughters. Drab me did get to wear some in skits at the square dances. Leslie Mary (me) has worn one only once in public.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:

Yes they are FUN. The best thing to happen to a skirt !

Quote Originally Posted by Robbiegirl View Post
    Can you ever wear too many Petticoats ?

Their is a gal on Flickr Deedee Fullskirt that looks like she is wearing like 5 or 6 ! She is clearly having lots of fun
    Yes So many that the dress hem is above your hem-line.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:

Petticoats, probably one thing I haven't worn in my years of CD. Guess I better put that one on my CD bucket list.