Thread: How long is a tell? (Finger Nails)

Genderblur Francene Lola Dupree's Avatar

Question How long is a tell? (Finger Nails)

Hiya Girls,

I have recently started growing my nails out, initially to stop me from biting them right back (a horrible habit I've had all my life), and found that the best way to stop was to force myself to grow them out and make the unconscious task of nibbling short nails into a conscious task of chomping through a nice manicured nail which i could control.

Now my nails are just beginning to protrude past the end of my fingers, so i was wondering how long you (especially those in the closet at work) chose to keep your nails? and at what point you think it may become a tell?

Much Love,
    Francene
    xXx

I don’t think there’s a specific measurement that forms a line of demarcation. Me being fairly petite will be able to sport fewer inches of nail than someone 6’6” with giant hands.

Banned Read only
    Francene,
    The subject of nails is frustrating to me , to actually have all ten in beautiful condition never happens , length isn't a problem because I've usually broken them before it becomes a problem . To apply polish sometimes feels like a waste of time but I still prefer to see them with colour ( normally my everyday colour is Grape Sorbet , a nice shade of pink ).

Micki, Eat your heart out! I am 6'-6" and yes keeping nice nails is an absolute bind, no sooner have I done my nails then done the washing up only to find the shine has gone. But I digress from the OP I have grown mine and nobody has said anything but normal everyday things soon damage the image I try to keep.
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

I had the same problem of biting mine for ages.
    I finally decided to let them grow, but for years my work denied me the pleasure. It was always SOO close and then 1, then 2 or 3 would SNAP! and there went my plans. Start over and try again.
    At last I'm retired and now can let them be as they should be.
    I'll keep mine about 1/8" to 1/4" past the fingertips and I really don't care who sees. When I polish them I'll get to enjoy them at last and it's none of their business.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

I wouldn't worry about it. I deal with guys who work in the truck repair industry and grow them quite long and the likely hood of these guys being CD's is slim to none. Now if they were painted one day now that's different!

Banned Read only
    It's hard to say really... I would guess it comes down to how you take care of them that would be the tell.

Overgrown nails are one thing, but long, neatlly trimmed, shaped, and manicured nails are another story.

Tend to let mine stay long, even w/o color on them No workplace concerns here anymore-- so can let them grow. Always shaping them. Do cut them back when prepping to glue-on a gel nail set. But usually have nat nails with color on them. Toni G..
    "Seen by Many---Clocked by Any??"
    In the Snowbird Zone

Mine remain long until the break or chip.

Clear gloss helps teep them going.

About 3 mm past the tip of the finger does me.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

back "in the day" I worked in a photo lab. Having long nails was almost mandatory to handle negatives without touching them (catch the corner of the neg in the base under the nail and use the nail like a shelf to hold/position it). Having 1/4" past the top of the finger was the norm for me. Almond tip weren't that good but a good round or oval tip worked just fine. Always kept them clear-coated

I guess the question is who needs to accept them: your wife or workmate.

My wife complains more than my workmate.

And it's even a mathematical formula.

The first she complains, she waits one week to complain again, then 1/2 a week, then a quarter of a week.

I give up when it becomes twice a day.

I used to be able to solve the math problem myself, but now I would need to look it up on the Internet.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

A little off topic but I was a nail biter since forever but just over a year ago I was getting a pedicure and my nail tech Traci looked at my fingernails and started to file them. She said if they were rounded there would be nothing to bite. She was absolutely correct and I keep them that way all the time now. My length varies but I notice they seem to grow faster then my toenails.
    Crissy

I keep my nails well past the fingertips and manicured. No one has ever said anything at work (though some have no doubt noticed!)

My GF doesn't mind my long hair, pierced ears, smooth body, plucked brows or me fully dressed. But she will
    go crazy when she see's my long nails. I try to hide them from her and usually ignore her first "cut them" comment.
    I will continue to ignore her until she starts to get the clippers out, then i will trim them.
    I've been growing my nails for a few years now. I've had my pinky and thumb nails as long as 3/8" and the middle
    3 fingers about 1/8". I keep the middle 3 fingers shorter to keep her happy as i can easily hide my pinky and thumb
    nails from her. Other than her, nobody else has ever said a word!!
    paula

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I have to ask what sort of comments are you afraid of getting if your co workers see your nails have grown?
    Is it any of their business and do you do things to please them or yourself?
    Do you care how long a co workers nail are? Would you make a snide comment about them?
    Do you think they will suspect that you CD because your nails have gotten long?
    Chances are they don't really care how long your nails are.
    IMO I think you are worried about nothing.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 12-06-2018 at 12:18 AM.

Reality Check
    Why not just look at the length of other male friends and associates and see how long their nails are?

As far as work, what do you do at work? Sitting in an office or calling on customers at their place of business, your nails can be longer and well manicured. Carpenter or plumber, not so much.
    Krisi

Banned Read only
    Paula,
    That's a confusing one for her to pick out nails as the NO-NO item ! I admit my wife would tell me to get them cut but the more obvious one has to be plucked eyebrows especially if you have heavy ones that almost meet and long hairs that you could use as wiper blades on your glasses ( as in my case !)

Genderblur Francene Lola Dupree's Avatar
    Thanks for all the feedback girls xXx

Quote Originally Posted by Sometimes Steffi View Post
    I guess the question is who needs to accept them: your wife or workmate.
    My partner accepts however i chose to present myself, my workmates would use it as ammunition in the relentless banter battle we engage in daily

Quote Originally Posted by Sometimes Steffi View Post
    The first she complains, she waits one week to complain again, then 1/2 a week, then a quarter of a week.
    You could express it as an Exponential Decay - Where Y is the Tolerance Level & X is time
    SO if Y = -1.5^x your graph would look something like this
    Attachment 298914

Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    Why not just look at the length of other male friends and associates and see how long their nails are?

As far as work, what do you do at work? Sitting in an office or calling on customers at their place of business, your nails can be longer and well manicured. Carpenter or plumber, not so much.
    Good idea to scope out my colleagues.
    I'm an Engineering Project Manager, so mostly office based but i enjoy the practical side of my job. Long Nails get filthy easilly

Aspiring Member
    My wife tells me when my nails are too long. Loudly.