Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Working out in the gym

For me that is an interesting question and one that I must now answer. I just learned that due to my age I am able to get a free gym membership and have signed up for one. I am not sure what to wear, but would love to have some indication of my female side with out looking stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Vanessa Grandy View Post
    I used to wear small womens shorts, a tank tight top and running shoes with pink designs. Several times I NJoticed eyes from guys on me. When showering, i always shave my whole body.
    Now in transition, I feel weird going to the gym for the locker room moment. All guys walk naked and my body is changing with obvious boobs so I stop attending to the gym. I don't know how would it be to request the use of women's locker room but for now I prefer to just don't go.
    I replaced it with outdoor activity and I wear whatever I qant.
    Vanessa, why not keep going to the gym, and just change and shower at home?
    Veronica

Love who you are! You are uniquely you!!

Quote Originally Posted by suzanne View Post
    Not on the gym floor, but the outfit I bring for after my shower is a skirt or a dress. That's been very consistent lately. I can see that some of the other guys in the changeroom are taking long second looks, but there's NEVER been a comment, either positive or negative.

Yesterday, a Sunday morning, was a unique experience for me. When I returned to the changeroom after my workout, there were two men talking near my locker. I wasn't eavesdropping, but there was one of them on either side of me and they were talking right over me. It became evident that they were retired pro football players sharing tales of their glory days in the Canadian Football League and the Grey Cup. I'm not a fan of football, so I went about undressing for my shower. One of them went for his shower at the same time. When I came back to my locker, they were talking football again. I didn't want to put on my girl clothes on in front of them, but I didn't want to chicken out and I had no boy clothes with me. So I changed in front of them. I pulled on my panties, then my skirt, top and cardigan. My black ankle strap wedges came out of my bag and went on my feet. Then, I got up and left. The football players never once interrupted their normal conversation.

I always say this is as it should be. My wearing a skirt should be No Big Deal to anyone. Ever. And, it's looking like that more and more every day I go out.
    Yes, but then again, we Canadians have a reputation for being oh, so NICE and non-confrontational. Oops, did I just offend somebody by saying that? Sorry!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JulieB View Post
    All I know wearing some femme underclothing or as outer-clothing seems to motivate me a bit more. No,actually a lot more!
    Yes to this ^^^

I've been wearing leggings with sheer support pantyhose (tan) underneath for my thrice-weekly trips to the health club for months. I have a dozen solid, and solid/mesh, black leggings of various textures and weights that I rotate through. I think of it as non-binary dressing (or hybrid dressing as someone mentioned in another thread) but from the waist up I'm all guy and I'm sure I'm read that way.
    Last edited by Taylor186; 12-15-2018 at 04:31 PM. Reason: clarity

When I do wear my leggings (sans shorts), I ind it helps to war a tight thong and then black panties, too minimize any bulge (even the best tuck can start to slip) and not have anything show through. I also wear a women's tank top to hold my breasts closer and a loose longer t-shirt. Sometime I wear short over, but more and more I am worrying less and less.

I am at my local athletic club every day and regularly see men in compression pants / leggings. They are generally black and probably made for men but you never know...

I work out in a swimsuit because I am lazy and want to be ready for the sauna and whirlpool that follow.

At home on the treadmill, I have tried the women's clothing with forms but I take exercise seriously and it felt like a distraction. I couldn't imagine putting on hip padding, makeup and a wig before running for an hour or more.

Quote Originally Posted by curvious View Post
    When I do wear leggings (sans shorts), I find it helps to wear a tight thong and then black panties to minimize any bulge (even the best tuck can start to slip) and not have anything show through.
    I always do this ^^^

It also helps eliminate show through in the back as not all leggings are 100% opaque, particularly when tightly stretched. (I use a black shapeware brief in lieu of panties. More coverage and more hold).

The thong also prevents things from moving in front while you are jogging on the tread mill (the same reason male ballet dancers wear a dance belt). Some leggings/athletic tights offer the benefit of compression but none, in my experience, offer enough in that area, even for the average guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Irving View Post
    I am at my local athletic club every day and regularly see men in compression pants / leggings.
    All clubs are different. At mine, in over four hundred visits the past three years, I've seen men in compression pants/leggings exactly twice. Once was a twenty-something wearing leggings under baggy shorts (NBA style) and once was a forty-something wearing black leggings with a "manly" stripe down the side. I will grant you that my hour long sessions are during a time when 20-50 year olds are working so I miss the potentially more fashion forward crowd.

Maybe as a result of the above, I get noticed. I see people from my neighborhood, people I worked with, people I meet at parties or at community events and invariably, whether it is just a nodding hello in passing or a stop and chat, their eyes go down to my leggings. (Kinda like the buxom gal who can't get men to look her in the eyes.) It was unnerving at first but now I don't think twice about it. But, if you cannot take that kind of scrutiny then wearing legging at the gym may not be for you. I wouldn't if I were still working.

No one has mentioned anything to me directly about my sartorial choices but I recently heard from someone outside the health club that I came up at her "ladies luncheon." I won't bore you with the details but the woman who mentioned me (a past coworker and healthclub attendee) ended up saying "he has great legs." Certainly could have been worse.
    Last edited by Taylor186; 12-17-2018 at 06:03 PM. Reason: grammer