Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why use "gurl"? Not nice!

I think it’s more of a generational thing than a word to describe cd or ts. For instance my friends that don’t know I dress up use the word Gurl far more often than my friends who know I do dress up as a wonderful girl. And we’re talking about boys and girls using the word Gurl to describe each other. I say it’s more of a slang term rather than a word use to descriminate. I know popular recent slang term is okuurrrr. Which is basically the word okay.

I am going to bow out of the conversation. I know I am kind of an interloper here but I just wanted to throw in the 2 cents of one TS.

It's how I feel - not necessarily everyone - but there are others that feel the same.

Have fun !! Really - no sarcasm intended.

I've called myself and others here girls, ladies, sisters. So gurls, ladeez, sistas? Whatever. I don't mind. I believe in mutual respect. I even believe in the reasoning behind political correctness. Language does frame perception. But it seems to me like we're losing focus somewhat.
    Acceptance of our community and our individual acceptance and respect is surely not dictated by a consensus on 'girl', 'CD', 'trannie' etc. Same goes for a certain other thread about MIAD.
    As long as the intent behind a word is understood it's all good. We're just splitting hairs a lot of the time. 😒

@Kymberley just to clarify the above, I would never consider referring to a transwoman any differently than a GG. Except to make points like this. I think Gurl and Tgirl etc to be as invalid in reference to transwomen as they are to GGs. A CD being called Tgirl is more valid IMHO.

I'ma shut up now! 😟
    Last edited by abbiedrake; 12-17-2018 at 08:41 AM.

Reality Check
    It may help to remember that there are people on this forum from all over the world and from many different cultures. Some words are common in one place and not another. In any event, the "word police" have not decreed that the word "gurl" is inappropriate (although my spell checker thinks otherwise). It's best to just accept it and move on.
    Krisi

I have used te word "Gurl" many times. Each time I have used it I sort of feel wrong. I know it is a way to distinquish from GG, but somehow, it does not feel quite right. Using Girl seems much better, because it makes me feel like I am really a girl, nit just a "play actor". I do adore thinking of myself as a girl!

"A Girl lives in my heart".
    As Sweet As I Can Ever Be

Silver Member
    When I started this discussion, I had no idea that it would bring so many comments. Though I will continue to NOT use the gurl word, I do respect the right for others to do so. As to GG being used for females, in all my years the only place I've seen or heard it used is on this forum.
    All remarks given to my OP continue to show how lucky we ladies are to have such thought provoking sister members.

I do see and hear alot people using the term "gurl." I don't particularly use it myself.

I've seen the word "gurl" used in other contexts, so it doesn't faze me.

What I don't like about the term "mugggle" is the Harry Potter connection. What term did CDers use to refer to muggles before we had JK Rowling?
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

I don't have a problem with it obviously, although maybe I should rethink that.

I tend to use "girl" and "gurl" interchangeably at times, although use "woman" and "girl" the most.
    That being said, it isn't even a favorite word of mine used to describe us. I just thought it was cute when choosing my screen name.
    Even so, I consider it a friendly term among us, like Veronica said.
    Maybe one reason I don't mind it is, I generally see either "girls" like us using it, or GGs mostly, although not always.

I'm offended by very little, in a time where everyone seems offended by everything, but want to make clear by saying so, that I am not offended at all with the original post or anyone elses thoughts on the subject.
    If I had to pick a few that "rub me the wrong way" however, Im not too fond of "Tranny", "Ladyboi", or " A girl ( or "gurl") with something "extra"....or the other term which we all know
    Last edited by FrannGurl; 12-19-2018 at 04:19 PM.

This why I have been a member for a long time and don't post, its all the pretentiousness. Somebody is always going to be offended, you can please everyone. I only ever seen the term gurl on here, I don't use don't care if some one else does. I think its more inappropriate when say we are women or girls when we are not( of course if you identify as one then I guess your one). Drives me nuts at how easily people in today's society gets offended.

Reality Check
    Yes. I used to say (last year) that this was the year of the offended. Well, it's carried on to this year and now seems to be part of out (American) culture. That's a shame.
    Krisi

They're, There, Their, Girl, Gurl, Gerl. If I speak any of either set of 3 then the listener won't be able to distinguish which form I'm using. The difference is with the first 3 the context provides the clue. Their car is parked over there. They're going to pick it up later.

The second 3, regardless of the context, there's nothing to distinguish which form of word I'm thinking in my head because I pronounce them all the same. It's one of the anomalies of the English language that words spelt differently can be pronounced identically.

Add to this regional accents and dialects and you can add to the mix girl being pronounced "Gal" and a few more ways to boot as well.

So how can you be offended when you have no way of knowing which form of a word someone is thinking when it's used in conversation? Psychic powers?
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed