Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why use "gurl"? Not nice!

Silver Member

Why use "gurl"? Not nice!

I've never used it to refer to CDs or transwomen. On this forum and in PMs, I use 'girl' to refer to same. If i'm relating to a GG, I'll use 'female'. I'd really like to see 'gurl' stopped being used to describe any of our type.
    Does anyone else agree?

I am not offended by "gurl"! I do not however use it! I like you use girl and make the difference between CD/TG and GG(which I am not fond of using)some where in the conversation! Although I am more likely to use woman rather than girl! Just my $0.02! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

not a fan of 'gurl' either. I'm also REALLY not a fan of terms like "muggle." Just sounds pejorative to me

What Lana Mae said!

Personally, I enjoy being referred to as a “Gurl” while en femme. That label denotes to me a ‘guy’ who has made an effort to exhibit and enjoy his feminine ‘girly’ side. The U is seen, but not heard ... in the south anyway.
    Jade

I don't use it. I'm not a fan. But I'm not the slang police for those that want to use it.

What Lana said!!!

Quote Originally Posted by audreyinalbany View Post
    not a fan of 'gurl' either. I'm also REALLY not a fan of terms like "muggle." Just sounds pejorative to me
    Do you even know what a Muggle is? If you did, you’d understand that it isn’t pejorative at all.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Have a look in any good dictionary and you wil not find the word gurl in it any more than gotten or tooken which are not proper English words anyway. Gurl to me sounds sort of demeaning or snide girl is the word and I think we should use it as it is
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    When guys that CD and use the term "girly" I cringe.
    You are not girly and never will be.
    Gurl I don't really care for and don't use it but if others want to use it I don't care.

You know with everything going on, does it matter what term we use?
    Let's face it, most of us are guys that like our feminine side. If we feel that Gurl shows that side, so be it. There is a post that is going on that we are not and will never truly be women since we will never have children or a monthly "friend", so if we extend that logic then girl is not acceptable either. There are more important things, such as finding acceptance in society and inner peace.
    If you want to use gurl, girl or wingnut whatever makes you happy

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    Well it is less often used than the “word” transgendered

Jenny,

I've never used it to refer to CDs or transwomen. On this forum and in PMs, I use 'girl' to refer to same. So how do you differentiate between genetic females, girls, and members of this forum in the same sentence?

Gurl is a noun. It identifies those here who present as female but aren't, yet, transgendered. A rose by any other name.... Why take offence at something that simply seeks, and effectively does, deliminate between those of us who identify as male but present, when the mood or opportunity presents itself, as female.

I tire of having those who take umbridge at terms that adequately identify a group of like minded people when it does no harm. Gurl is fine by me, put it in the Oxford dictionary if you will.

As for muggle, again it's a term of common understanding, that is if you've been paying attention to popular culture over the last decade, and is as good as any to again differentiate between those in our community and those in mainstream society. If muggle isn't suitable, give me a an easily use term that works better! Normal, standard, non-dresser, conventional, average, natural? It's not meant to be derogatory, just a way of differentiating between those within our community and those without.

As has been said in other post, it's a case of over thinking things.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

I HATE the word and it's many variations. I find it derogatory and completely disrespectful. I never use it. I always refer to my sisters as girls, women, ladies, sisters, CDs or TGs. I know there are those that use it and I completely respect their right to do so and their feelings, it's just not for me.
    Visit Kandi's Land (http://www.kandis-land.com/) daily! Nothing but positive and uplifting posts!
    Pictures and stories of every time out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131254150@N06/.

I don’t use the word gurl but I don’t dislike it either, to each their own with this one.
    Crissy

It all sounds the same to me!

I'm new to this page so I've only just noticed it and cant say it bothers me and thought it was similar to feminist who say womyn

We CHOSE what offends us.
    my ex was offended by everything, people looking at her, people not looking at her, what people "might think", what they "might not think" - you get the idea.
    Landmark courses help you understand your power of choices.

I dislike the term, but understand it's some peoples way of avoiding binary gender terms.
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Gurl can be construed as negative slang. What not say what u mean, crossdresser, or trans?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I do not use "gurl" either. I prefer "girl", but when we call ourselves girls, I always wonder whether women are OK with us doing that.

If I've used "muggle", it would probably be less than the number of fingers on one hand and most likely in response to somebody who used it in the post that I was responding to. I haven't been sure 1) what it meant, or 2) whether it was belittling; so I played it safe with "general public" instead.

However, I am guilty of belittling with my usage of "Joe Cool".

- Lydianne.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Muggle is a British term so the only place I see it used is here on the forum.
    Not a word used here in the US.

I personally have no problem with the term. If someone sees my picture and reaches out to me (for example I am on Poshmark) I feel it tells people that I am not a genetic girl yet I am presenting as one. No surprises, no harm, no foul.

I don't have a problem with gurl, I prefer and use girl myself, but if I was called a gurl I wouldn't care.
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

I’m not offended if I’m referred to as a gurl but it does sound alittle demeaning to me. I would rather be referred to as girl, lady, woman, or my favorite girlfriend.

I don't know anything. I didn't know what a muggle was. I like girl, and it makes me feel good when one of you call me that. Gurl is ok too. I'm just feeling part of a sisterhood here. You can even call me sister, I'll take them all as a term of endearment.

I do not like the use of "gurl". It appears appears proper grammar has become a lost art. The incorrect spelling of words along with abbreviated texting words has created a new language in my opinion.