Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why use "gurl"? Not nice!

Gurl does not worry me nor does transvestite, they are words that have become part of our evolving lifestyle.

Thansgender may go one day, how long has it been used ?
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I don't care one way or another. I do, however, prefer just using the "F" word.....

.....Female! Come on, really?

joni

I've no problem with the use of the term "gurl" and have used it on occasion. I find it especially helpful when discussing something concerning both a CD and a GG in the same topic.

I've also seen the spelling "gyrl" used as well although not as often.

Count me in the “not offended” camp. Preference of girl over gurl? Sure!

We are in fact guys dressing as girls. I think it’s a cute play on that and better than being called a guy. Right?

But I’ve never considered gurl as pejorative. The term that is like nails on a chalkboard to me is tranny.

I don't use the term, but id doesn't bother me.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

hello Jenny,
    perhaps it depends who uses the word - if we use a slang term to describe ourselves is it OK?
    luv J

Banned Read only
    I am not a user of "gurl." To me it always has been seen as some sort of teenage Southern California mall talk. I get a mental image of a teenager female chewing a big wad of gum with her mouth open wide. I've never heard anyone call a person a 'gurl.' When I call my wife and her friends 'girls' I get corrected that they are 'women.' Usage of 'girl' does not really seem appropriate since all registered members of are a legal age which would defer to 'woman.' I hope the comments I have made in the pictorial section refer to 'woman,' as in 'young woman' or 'lovely woman,' etc.

The only time I hear 'girls' in actual speech other than very young females is referring to the female breasts.

This "gurl" has no problem with it.

Just more slang which I'm not crazy about but not a big deal.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Just don't call me late for supper. Hugs, Michelle

Okay. a 'girl' is a pre-pubescent female; i.e., one who has not yet reached puberty. Once menses start, she is technically a woman. It's been expanded now to refer to virtually any female; even 80 year olds refer to each other as 'girls'. Doesn't make it accurate, though.

But; to may to, to mah to, a rose is a rose by any other name.

We all know what you mean.

While GG may not be popular with everyone, it DOES give us a definite short abbreviation of a female at birth person who remains female. So I like to go with that. Problem is, then I become a GM, and I'm basically a Ford man.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Silver Member
    Interesting comments, "girls". Opinions vary, as they should, but I'll not use 'gurl' unless I'm paid big bucks! And, it is not uncommon to hear a female refer to a group of females as 'guys'.
    Last edited by Jenny22; 12-15-2018 at 05:38 PM.

I’m not a fan of ‘gurl’, and I do think that describing people as ‘muggles’ is in any context is perjorative. But that’s my opinion only and I don’t lose sleep over it.

There are so many more important things to lose sleep over.

Michelle

Well, gurls, I use it as a friendly term amongst us CDs, and I use it often. It's harmless. It's just a slang term with nothing derogatory intended by me. "Things are not good or bad, but thinking makes them so."
    Last edited by Veronica4me; 12-15-2018 at 11:06 PM.
    Veronica

Love who you are! You are uniquely you!!

Spelling "gurl" instead of "girl" is no different than someone spelling "cool" as "kool" or "kewl". There is nothing behind it. Its just an alternative way of spelling it for fun. GGs use "gurl" all the time. Its nothing to get offended about lol.

If youre 50+ i wouldnt expect you to understand, but this is VERY common for anybody who grew up using the internet to use alternative spelling just because they can.

If you get offended so easily, i would suggest staying off the internet all together because youre in for a "rude" shock.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    Muggle is a British term so the only place I see it used is here on the forum.
    Not a word used here in the US.
    Muggle is a made up word from Harry Potter to describe a "normie". Dont they have Harry Potter in the US?
    Last edited by Kas; 12-16-2018 at 01:18 AM.

I stand corrected, and appreciative of Tracii's earlier post about CDs desiring to be "girly".
    Rather than girly, I strive to portray myself as a woman with classy elegance, who gets an approving nod from both men and women.
    Jade
    I used to be influenced by peer pressure, but my friends talked me out of it.

Silver Member
    Hi, Kas. You said, "If you get offended so easily, i would suggest staying off the internet all together because youre in for a "rude" shock."
    I never said I was offended, Kas, just that I didn't like the word, and wouldn't use it. Many others have essentially said the same. I think you are correct about how words have been created by internet users. I'm probably three times your age, so a bit elderly and maybe a bit set in my ways when I started using it. I do intend to continue as long as I'm able. TTFN

In a few moments of idleness I Googled both Gurl and Muggle as folks had commented about both being somehow derogatory or demeaning. Anyway what I found was;

noun: muggle; plural noun: muggles

a person who is not conversant with a particular activity or skill.

And yes it is a term now widely used having been taken from the Harry Potter books. Personally I feel the above definition fits well in describing those who are outside of our community. It doesn't seem to carry much malice say compared to "Knuckle dragging neanderthals" which is sometimes used to reference those who are less than favorable towards to our community.

Gurl
    The female equivalent of "dude;" a word that began as a gender-specific colloquial word referring casually to another person and has since become gender-neutral.

Many words start life as street slang or from within closed groups. Take Polari (/pəˈlɑːri/) a form of theatrical slang incorporating Italianate words, rhyming slang, and Romany, used especially by gay men when it was illegal to be homosexual. It was their equivalent of Cockney rhyming slang. Most Brits will be familiar with the word barney (a fight) which has made it's way into mainstream use from Polari as have many others. Language is fluid with new words added to the dictionary every year.

I know of no-one here who'd used Gurl in a demeaning or derogatory way towards another member. Far from it and I've seen no evidence that leads me to believe otherwise. It's a term of inclusion denoting a shared set of experiences. So let's not fret it. Use it if it suits you, don't if it doesn't.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Muggles are those that don't have magical powers. So aren't we all muggles according to Harry Potter?
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Whilst I know that I’m not a girl, I do enjoy desire girly time with other cis or trans girls... I enjoy being dressed like a woman of my age and also detest words that indicate the derogatory towards transgender or MTF CD people. Whether or not those words are recognised as a gender neutral word, but, I feel like gurl, sissy, transvestite, etc are words from an era past.

I personally know that I trans and accept that and certain words feel like a suppression of who I really am.

Ask women if they appreciate being referred to as a "GG"...…..not very nice either !

Junior Member Brandy Fromdaburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    Muggle is a British term so the only place I see it used is here on the forum.
    Not a word used here in the US.
    Actually, muggle was American slang dating back to the 1920s for a marijuana cigarette.
    Gnothi Seauton

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Taylor View Post
    Ask women if they appreciate being referred to as a "GG"...…..not very nice either !
    GG is, of course, an abbreviation for "genetic girl", someone with two x chromosomes. I don't understand why that would be offensive.

Just a heads up for those who use “gurl” as a form of greeting. I am transgender and every other transgender person I’ve hung out with cringes if someone uses it in general conversation. We won’t jump your butt over it, but you’ve not gotten off to a great start with most of us.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

I identify as TS - some of you that cross forums may have read some of my posts. I usually don't post here often as I know many of you exclusively identify as CD and that is great. I believe in a gender spectrum and many people that enjoy CDing have no desire to transition.

I am usually relatively thick skinned. I agree with Heidi - I am not going to jump all over somebody for using 'gurl' but it definitely does not create a good impression with me. I don't have a problem with GG I don't find it derogatory. But since this topic seems to be winding down I thought I would jump in before it dies.

To me 'gurl' is similar to tranny. It signifies being less than. It only takes a moment speaking or a few key strokes to specify cis-woman or transwoman. The vast majority of us would not use a racial slur. To me 'gurl' is a transphobic word. If someone uses it I just assume they don't know any better but I don't care for it.