Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A transwoman's story

A transwoman's story

A member on a sub-forum asked me recently if I had ever posted my back story. Well I guess I have in bits and pieces but I will do so at length here. Get some caffeine- you might need it.

I joined this site in May 2016 but it was a long journey to get here but arriving here was really the start in many ways.

Back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth when I was 5 yrs old I knew I wanted to be female. I remember doing a pretend sex change operation on my 3 yr old brother while riding in the back of the family car. (I told him in recent years and he said he was glad it was pretend)

Around age 9 or 10 I began trying on my Mom's clothes and makeup when I could sneak it. Soon I was babysitting for the neighbors on our block and I would wear the wife's makeup once the babies were asleep. Almost got caught once.
    This continued and never went away.

I was attracted to girls and dated but at the same time I always wanted to be one. This is now the 1970s in the story and I would read everything I could. If I saw any story in any form about a man to woman I devoured it. There was a professional tennis player that was a transsexual named Renee Richards - I couldn't read enough. Then I researched one of the first doctors to work with transsexuals - Dr. Harry Benjamin. I would ride my bike to the library, this is pre-internet of course, but I would ride several miles to read these books.

I knew I wanted to be female.

When I started experimenting with masturbation I would envision myself as female. I would steal little items like my grandmother's fake eyelashes etc. In college I would use my roommate's girlfriend's makeup when they were away. Kind of got caught with that one time too. I stole my Mom's wig and took it to college with me.

After college once I had my own apartment I ordered things through the mail and then progressed to shopping at stores where I lived in Chicago that catered to crossdressers.

I got married and did not tell her of my secret - I never was going to tell anyone EVER. But I had my stash of clothes, heels, breast forms and makeup in a suitcase in the trunk of my car and when I would take business trips by car I would spend as much time as I could at the hotel dressed.

What I am trying to say is I was like many or most of you.

In early 2016 I went to a store in suburban Chicago that caters to crossdressers for many years that day changed my life.

I had been going there since 2005 although I lived in Mpls. I am originally from Chicago and visited family sometimes. I spent that weekend in 2005 for the first time en femme.

So anyway back to 2016 - I visit the store and am driving back to Mpls ( I had been divorced since 2009 for other reasons) and on my way back I stopped several times for gas etc. Each time I stopped the cashier said - 'you are the happiest customer I have seen all day'. Why ?? Because I had finally bought some women's clothing again.

I always knew I was transgender even before that was the word. It was easy to hide. I was attracted to women, had kids, did not act effeminately and was a 6'2" guy that had a good job and knew how to be everybody's buddy. Nobody knew or suspected.

So I am driving back happiest I had been in a long time and finally told myself -this is nuts - why am I not living the life I want to. The next day I contacted a transgender therapist and I began the journey of my life.

It was terrifying. Just going to the clinic at the U of MN in women's clothing scared me. And then venturing out to do errands like shopping. Then going to appointments. Then coming out to friends and family. I cried the first few times. I didn't want to be rejected. Everything was hard. But I found the courage.

I joined this website and made some friends. One of those friends told me the line I repeat over and over - the first transphobe you have to conquer is yourself. I thought that was the most amazing thing I ever heard.

Someone else told me that courage is not the lack of fear. It is being afraid of something but doing it anyway.

In the last 2 years I have done a lot. I had an orchiectomy, electrolysis, went on estrogen grew out my hair and colored it, changed my name legally, my driver's license, my birth certificate and I now live as an openly transgender woman.

I ABSOLUTELY NEVER thought I would do this. I was scared. I didn't want people to think I was a freak. I didn't want to be rejected or laughed at.

You know what none of that happened. I now work in a much different line of work. I was a national account manager for a major corporation. Now I am a professional poker dealer. ( I got downsized - before I came out as trans) I am face to face with over a 100 different people per night - most of them men. Was it tough? Yep. Am I glad I did it? Yep.

This is not a practice life. This is the one shot. I was going to take this secret to my grave but I am glad I didn't. Then I would be dead, my life would be over but I never lived as me. But at least nobody would have learned my secret. What sense does that make?

Use this site to figure things out. Should everyone transition? Absolutely not. But what everyone should do is live as their true self. Figure out who you are and then live it.

The first transphobe you have to conquer is yourself.
    Last edited by KymberlyOct; 12-16-2018 at 02:48 AM.

Thanks for a wonderful heart felt story, the back story. Now we get to occasionally read the new and ever developing story. Thanks for sharing and have some very happy holidays.

Thanks Allie - A friend in the NB forum suggested it. It has been far too long since seeing you at Sparkle 2016. I hope you are doing well.

Kim, what a wonderful story, thanks for sharing.

Kym I am lying on my back 2 days post op at 4:00 am. Miserable. So I looked for something to differt my attention. Your story is my story, probably most of the stories here. We have a sisterhood, you are are a comfort to me. Thanks!

I am so sorry Dorit that you are lying awake miserable at 400am. I am so glad that you posted when you did so that I can give you a thought and prayer of good wishes as I lay down to sleep. I was just about to sign off when I saw your reply.

Yeah I think parts of this story are common to many of us that is why I wrote it. So many people early in this journey wonder if it's just them and are trying to figure out what to do. I thought I would talk about what the rest of the journey sometimes looks like.

I will check on here when I wake up to see if you posted again. Try to get some rest.

Kymberly,

When I read your line -
    "What I am trying to say is I was like many or most of you."

So true. I kept saying to myself - Yes, that was me.
    I am THIS close to taking the plunge! But, I still have to think of my wife's feelings in this.

I am SO happy it is working out for you! I have, and will continue to enjoy your posts.

Tina

I find it fascinating and validating that all the storie we relate about our journey are so similar. It’s amazing!

First, thanks for sharing! I am one of those late bloomers! LOL Naive maybe! Only actually understood all this a few years ago! I did not read the signs and put it together! Counselor was the best thing to happen to me! She helped me piece it all together! I am now ready to start the 3rd week of HT and could not be happier! I am entering this with no expectations so that any results will be just fine! My story began with a little girl who liked to throw her dress over her head! Well, I haven't thrown a dress over my head yet, but I now have a few which is what I wanted back then! Again, thanks for sharing! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Tina June View Post
    Kymberly,

When I read your line -
    "What I am trying to say is I was like many or most of you."

So true. I kept saying to myself - Yes, that was me.
    I am THIS close to taking the plunge! But, I still have to think of my wife's feelings in this.

I am SO happy it is working out for you! I have, and will continue to enjoy your posts.

Tina
    Tina - I am not in the habit of telling people to break up so do not interpret this as such. What I am in the habit of doing is telling people to be honest with themselves and those close to them. To be honest about who you are and live as such.

I do know some transwomen that have fully transitioned or non binary ones that vary their presentation and everything in between - anyway some of those people have stayed happily married. I know some of them.

I also know that not being honest and living a lie ultimately leads to resentment and two unhappy people. I don't know what extent your wife knows or not. As far as 'taking the plunge' if you haven't already done so with her then have the 'talk'.

There are so many people in DADT (don't ask don't tell) marriages. It rarely works well permanently. Distrust, resentment and distance are no way for a marriage to work.

If your relationship is good you might survive this - maybe not to be honest. It is a lot to ask of a spouse - but it does happen.
    My very best wishes to you.

Dear Kymberly:

You and I have a lot in common. I remember seeing Dr. Renee Richards on television in 1982 or so on a "where are they now?" segment of 60 Minutes or something like that, and then making a beeline for the behavioral sciences section of the college library at Cal Poly Pomona, where I was a student at the time. I was 19, and up to that point, I had not known that gender transition was possible.

Hugs, Carly
    Carries a spray bottle of "pink fog" around with her in her purse at all times.

Carly we are dating ourselves. Yeah it was pretty cool to learn that. There was Christine Jorgensen but that was before EVEN US.

Kym thanks so much for sharing your inspiring story, I am so happy that your life has worked out and you can be the person you were always meant to be.
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

Aspiring Member
    I was always scared someone in the college library would see that I was reading a book about transsexuals or transvestism. I would look up titles in the card catalogue, nonchalantly stroll to the aisle they were located in, then heart racing, glance over the titles until i found one. then, if and only if it was all clear, i would remove it from the shelf and glance at it surreptitiously. I would never ever check one out because of the fear of my interest being documented somewhere. god i was neurotic.

I also never searched for anything trans on the internet until march or april of 2016 because of the same neurosis that The Government would see my web traffic and know that i visited trans related websites. what The Government would do with this super important data i have no idea. when i did, and read some peeps self-descriptions, i got a sick feeling as i realized i was one of THOSE people. deep deep seated internal transphobia, denial and suppression. It took me more
    than a year to come to terms with it.
    Last edited by Nikki.; 12-17-2018 at 12:58 AM.

Nikki I am torn between laughing and crying. I think there is some of both in your post. OMG I remember doing the exact same thing in the library. EXACTLY !!

Well at least the government didn't hunt you down. LOL.

In all seriousness I am glad that you have come to accept who you really are. From a distance from what I can tell - a wonderful person.

For those in that place where Nikki was and where I was a long time ago - there is nothing wrong with being transgender.

Do you think people that are gay have something wrong with them? 50 years ago most people did. In a couple more decades being transgender will be similar to the rest of society as being gay- not that big of a deal. I wish I was 18 again, but then again I am glad I didn't live a century ago. Those poor people.

Just do it already! DaisyLawrence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KymberlyOct View Post
    Use this site to figure things out. Should everyone transition? Absolutely not. But what everyone should do is live as their true self. Figure out who you are and then live it.
    And that is all there is to say really, what else matters at the end of the day?

Kym, I always thought I had lived an 'interesting' life when I compare it to all the other middle aged people around me that I know. I can see now that I have some catching up to do . Thanks for your story.

Inspirational and I can relate.
    OMG!! Owning my femininity .... and I LOVE it!

Kymberly,
    Thank you for sharing your story. It is amazing how many people relate to what you have shared.
    Having grown up in Colorado Trinidad was known for a sex change capitol of the world and I always wanted to visit and see the people that visited that hospital. I never did for the fear of being seen.

I am deep into crossdressing and trying to locate a good therapist as others have suggested. It will be interesting to see what they say. I like what you said, "be they guy that had a good job and knew how to be everybody's buddy. Nobody knew or suspected." That is me 100%. At least in my head it is.

Thanks again for your story.

Heidi
    hugs and more hugs

Rhandi

The avvy pic isn't me
    Thank you Kymberly, that was lovely.

The struggles we all have shared in living an other life, and getting to the now all come front and center to me (and powerfully) when I attend the U.U. church I found this summer. There are 2 families that have a MtF trans-teen. Both are prolly 11 - 13 and both are happy and cared for lovingly by their parents and siblings.
    It's incredibly heartening to see what a loving environment can do, but even as I feel an inner sense of joy in that, I can't help that feeling of envy; how I wish I could go back and grow up that way.

But, it took what it took, and the key is like you say, we have to be who we are and make that new life one of happiness.

Bless us all and thanx again Kym.
    Cass

Only had a minute to jump on but 2 quick replies.

Daisy is probably referring to some additional details I shared in the NB forum - I didn't want my post here to drone on too long. They weren't related to being trans - just some other life details that don't pertain to the topic.

Heidi - that Trinidad clinic you mentioned ( I was aware of it too ) eventually Marci Bowers ran that clinic and she now works out of S.F.

I had an in-person one on one talk with her when she visited U of MN - super cool.

Thanks for sharing your story Kymberly, I enjoyed reading it.
    Last edited by Veronica Nicole; 12-17-2018 at 10:44 PM.

'Our" story repeated with very minor changes.... thank you for sharing.... every time I read someone's story like this it helps me not to feel alone or rejected so much. I say again again what was said to me recently... transitioning is not a game. It is an extremely serious life redevelopment and that doesn't even describe it. But my spirit is at peace now.... it is up to me to push back the downside of things however and that is the challenge. Happy holidays all
    Enjoy our new life and seek peace Give love and kindness to others Live patience, self control, humility each day

My purpose for posting so many intimate details of my journey was to tell those (primarily those not posting - but everyone ) that you are not alone. I used to wonder if there were many others that felt the same way or if was I just by myself.

As is clear in the replies this is something that many of us have lived. Approximately 1% of the population identifies as transgender according to a study at UCLA - Univ of Calif. L.A. for those of you out of the US.

In the US that 1% is 3 million people. YOU ARE NOT ALONE. I and other members here just wanted you to know.

Not all are out in the open yet but times are changing.

Thanks Kimberly for sharing your story. I'm that it could be a book with all the details included, a good one.

My story has similar situations as you.
    As you say, we're not one.

I'd like to ask Dorit about which surgery are you talking?
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

So grateful you shared this I find thw back story very familiar, and the steps taken by you to be courageous and comforting.
    For me, I'm this strugglung with me.being the transphobic one in my life but am trying like.heck to address that.

Amanda