Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is there a wrong way to crossdress?

OK, so to summarize the very helpful "crossdressing - you're doing it wrong" tips so far, in no particular order:

1. Boobs on back.
    2. Pantyhose over head while in a bank.
    3. Wearing men's clothes when you are, in fact, a man.
    4. Underwear on the outside, if not a superhero or Madonna.

OK I'll make a list and post it on my front door so I can check myself before I go outside

Eemz list:

5. Fake moustache, glued over your real moustache.

Quote Originally Posted by Seana Summer View Post
    I agree with those who state there is no wrong way to crossdress, if you are staying home.

The one thing that I didn't see in the conversation is how your presentation may impact those around you. While we are free to express ourselves however we wish, stopping short of indecent exposure, there is the concept of having good manners. My understanding of good manners is you don't do things to make those around you uncomfortable.

If you are like me and have a body type that makes it hard to pass as female, (I am over 6 feet tall with very large shoulders, hands and feet) than you should probably spend a lot of time and effort either trying to blend in, or limit your exposure to the outside world to where it is acceptable to look like a man in a dress.
    It can be questioned whether anyone should be required to conduct themselves in public in a way to insure that no one is made uncomfortable. The problem is that sometimes people are made uncomfortable because of their biases or prejudices. For example if there are people who are uncomfortable seeing two men holding hands, should gay couples refrain from holding hands in public? If some people are uncomfortable with interracial couples, should those couples pretend not to be together so as not to make anyone uncomfortable? I don't think so. No one should be forced to live their lives to conform to someone else's prejudices. Prejudice and intolerance have caused more harm to more people than all the men who have ever worn a dress in public.
    Like a lady

You aren't crossdressed if you are naked

Or you might be - it's impossible to tell

My aswer to the original question. Yes there is. When crossdressing, forget about being a man. ACT like a woman and wear clothing that you can handle. There is nothing worse than a "guy" trying to walk with heels.

Banned Read only
    Many "amusing" answers to this question thus far.

Surely you were asking about those of us who actually VENTURE OUT into the RW "dressed" to some degree?

Obviously, anyone can answer. There have been HUNDREDS of members here over the years complaining that actual GGs are doing it wrong so it's a slam dunk what they are going to say about a MIADish/making ZERO attempt "to pass as awoman" presentation.

Presumably, a man should not utilize ANY articles of "normal female presentation" when out in public unless he goes full bore and changes the way he walks and talks and sits and stands and...................?

It's little wonder that so many GGs over the years at this site have bristled at the notion that THEY were doing it wrong.

Men can practice walking in heels till the cows come home. UNLESS they are built like a woman, few will be able to pull it off "well".

FACT: Women walk the way they do (heels or not) because of the way they are built. Wider hips/pelvis generally... so babies can get out.

IF they were to walk "like a man" many would fall down.

Falling down while walking? Not cool IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildaboutheels View Post

Obviously, anyone can answer. There have been HUNDREDS of members here over the years complaining that actual GGs are doing it wrong so it's a slam dunk what they are going to say about a MIADish/making ZERO attempt "to pass as awoman" presentation.

I think you presume too much. I am sure everyone here can make up their own minds on what they think.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Can’t say I would know, they are too many things that girls becoming women have done which we try to gain in 60 seconds.

- What doesn’t fit in your body?
    Wearing the right thing is a bitch because you can buy online or lucky to try them at a mall but who can guide you what would look good on the spot?

- What wig would fit you best?
    I’ve went to several wig store but all they want is to sale that and this, good luck!

- What shapewear to wear?
    Corsets aren’t for everyone and adding pressure on your body can become a medical issue if you do not know what to wear or have it properly fitted to your male body.

- Cream and lotions!?
    Welcome to an entire new world and that is all I have to say. It becomes a religious thing to do if you want the results and maintaining it.

- Waxing by professional
    Going each moth to have your buns, balls, front and back waxed is insanely expensive even every 6-Weeks because unfortunately we have more hair everywhere else but our head. A financial hit which is not visible and laser works on darker hair if not get ready for $$$ sessions which isn’t 100%.

- Makeup
    Holy mother!!! You have to be joking me, where and who on earth can teach you all this that a girl to woman has done in the last 10-20-30 years!?!? Any crash course that a professional person can teach you in 2-4 weeks and how to apply it?

- How to move
    Wait... you think wearing clothes and shoes and makeup is all!? No way, you need to know how to walk, move and ABOVE ALL!!! Being graceful and elegant while doing it. I can tell you that a six months course for that for a male is not cheap at all, good luck!

- Perfume
    This is the easiest part

- Jewelries
    Do not wear pop-star things nor things that women wouldn’t wear. This is an art that requires several life’s to achieve which the market for women’s jewelries seems to help them by shortening it to a few years, good luck!

Once you have completed all those steps and spend 4-5 life time of money if you aren’t already rich or if you have all the right support and ressources and friends, families support... only then you’ll know exactly what to avoid.

You’ll be perfectly dressed up and ready to walk out into the real world if you can and doesn’t cause any issues.

Crossdress or not, the question is really no different to “Is there a wrong way to dress?”

Well I believe so up to a point. It isn’t so much to do about passing, but more to do with does it suit you or not. Does the top match the skirt or trousers etc. Good colour coordination, is it age appropriate. Is it socially appropriate if you go out. Also, does it fit?

Even if you live alone and in the closet, I feel it still does apply. If the answers above are all yes’s, then you are going to feel a whole lot more better about yourself, regardless on whether you pass as a woman or not, and whether you are home alone or not. It takes practice, and observing what females generally like to wear. Think like a female.

Most women and CD’s just wear casuals, but sometimes us CD’s like the hot sl*tty look too (I do occasionally I admit). Nothing wrong with that, but try find something which suits your look and figure and fits well. There are a great deal who wear ill fitting clothes, but I think that is down to buying clothes online, or not confident enough to try them on in a store, and too embarrassed to return them.

If we can manage this, then fashion is really down to personal taste and there is no right or wrong there.
    Last edited by Keira Bea; 02-15-2019 at 12:10 PM.

(bashfully slinks in...) First real post here on this site. So I am a middle-aged man and in the midst of a mid-life career change that finds me mingling among people +/-20 years of my age regularly, AKA college. I regularly see (and have to admit that it is with disappointment) that standard female attire for a 20-something year old woman consists of something along the line of footwear resembling fuzzy slippers, jeans that have holes pre-torn in them, and T-shirts or sweatshirts. Then one of the teachers for a class (who probably is 20 years older than me) walks in wearing a skirt, hose, blouse, and I think "That's how I dress!". This causes the epiphany of realization (aka reality hitting me in the back of the head) that I dress like an older lady when I dress up. So if anyone knows of a place where a really tall person who is a 40 year old man who dresses like a 50+ year old lady fits in, let me know. (runs and hides)...

I've occasionally put on my frilly things inside out or backwards. I guess that's 'wrong'.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Quote Originally Posted by anita1 View Post
    (bashfully slinks in...)

I regularly see (and have to admit that it is with disappointment) that standard female attire for a 20-something year old woman consists of something along the line of footwear resembling fuzzy slippers, jeans that have holes pre-torn in them, and T-shirts or sweatshirts. Then one of the teachers for a class (who probably is 20 years older than me) walks in wearing a skirt, hose, blouse, and I think "That's how I dress!". This causes the epiphany of realization (aka reality hitting me in the back of the head) that I dress like an older lady when I dress up. So if anyone knows of a place where a really tall person who is a 40 year old man who dresses like a 50+ year old lady fits in, let me know.

(runs and hides)...
    First of all, we're all adults here, and we all crossdress to some extent. So, there's no need to "slink in" or "run and hide". I assume that you came here for support, to gain some knowledge, and even to make some friends, even if only online. We're here for you, and I am in particular. Get your 10 posts in and you can friend me. You can post about anything: where to buy clothes, where to buy makeup, where to go out, how your wife feels about your CDing, if she even knows, and the usual panty thread.

IMHO, we dress like "old ladies" because that is the style we became accustomed to when we first became aware of our crossdressing, So, we're not dressing like an old lady, but a very classy lady. By the way, not all GG old ladies dress like your teacher. If you have any doubt, do some people watching in your nearest Walmart.

Also, not all 20-something GGs dress down, especially at work. My work office is in the executive section of the building, and the GGs that I come across are either executives or executive secretaries. Naturally, they wear blouse/skirt, dresses, pantihose and sensible heels.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Sure there is and other CDers will be the first to tell you.

Well, my initial reaction was to say no, but then I thought about putting on a ratty old bathrobe over male clothing, and telling everyone it was a dress. That might be wrong. Maybe.
    Or wearing a three piece suit with a fancy dress shirt and a silk tie and telling everyone that this was secretly female clothing. That might be wrong too. Maybe.

This has been a very interesting thread. But there are two questions here actually. With different answers. First, is the question of a wrong way to crossdress, and everyone agrees, that you really can’t do it wrong, if it’s bringing you happiness. The second question, is of style, or is there a wrong way to dress, at all. And that question, is going to be so different to everyone. We all have our own style, and we all think our style is the best out there. If we didn’t, we would dress just like someone else. We just have to agree to accept and support all of our individual styles.
    My two cents
    Ymmv

Wrong ways to crossdress:

Wearing women's clothing so you don't get shipped off to war.
    Wearing men's clothing to get into the temples you know you aren't not supposed be in.
    Wearing your father's armor, deceiving your commanding officer and saving China.....okay wait, that ones a movie plot so it's ok.
    Not understanding the difference between "I can't/won't do that" and "You can't/shouldn't do that."

I'm on board with observing some decorum in keeping your underwear choices private in most public settings. I'll give you not wearing a wedding dress to a funeral or biker bar. I'll treat you as politely and fairly if you happen to meet me in a dress as I would if it was a pants day.
    "You are not an accident, nor are you malfunctioning. You are performing EXACTLY as coded." For many "Man in a Dress" is the worst atrocity commit-able; for me it's just reality. Click to Learn About Me. Click to Complain About Me! There is a fine line between brutal honesty and honest brutality. It is rarely in the same place for the sender and the receiver.

Only if you tend to put things like your bra on backwards....LOL
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

There are a 1001 wrong ways to dress in The Naked City....

Just go to San Fransisco. :-
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I would say yes. More specific, it depends on the venue / location you are going to. For example you would not wear a formal gown to go grocery shopping. A good rule of thumb is wear what women normally wear. Another rule of thumb dress age appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl T View Post
    Only if you tend to put things like your bra on backwards....LOL
    Nope. I always stand forwards when I put on my bra.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

I don't think there is a wrong way, but if you want to pass there is a lot more than picking the right clothes. Makeup has to be the hardest, I can spend hours and on that, then the way you walk, how you hold your hands, how to float when you walk in heals, it is almost a mindset. But to answer your question, dress how you want, what makes you feel the way you want to feel inside and wear it outside. Good luck, the world can be cruel, but it is also filled with wonderful people too.

I guess it would be wrong to dress in ways that would make us more vulnerable than necessary in places where people could take unwelcome advances towards us.

No, I wasn't making a pun.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

I don't have a problem with people dressing unconventionally, but you have no more right to demand I treat you in a certain way than I have to demand you dress in a certain manner. If you want to receive respect you gotta give respect.

To me the wrong way to crossdress is to do it without being ourself.

That can be like wrong wig color, too much make up, original voice or not...