Thread: A walk around an old mill

Aspiring Member

A walk around an old mill

What a joy it was this morning to get nicely dressed and then head out and to wander around the works of David Hockney, (without doubt the UK's greatest living artist), and all the other bits which make up Salts Mill in the model viallage of Saltaire, just outside Bradford, in Yorkshire. It was a lovely visit and David Hockney is such a genius. It was a shame that I didn't have enough time to have a light lunch in the rather good looking café they have there. But I had to get back to the car for the long journey home. The big bonus was that I was able to find a last little somehting to complete the wife's Yule presents.

All I can say is that if the only thing holding you back from getting out in to the world is the fear you have inside yourself, then really do give some thought to getting out because it is so much fun. But for me, it's not only fun, it's fulfilling as, over these past couple of months, for the first time in my life I have been able to live as the whole me.

Glad you had a great time

Glad you had a trip out. did you take any photos. I would love to wander your "Salts Mills". I have not gotten up the nerve to wander around dressed at our "Lowes Mill" art colony. A three story high building with 4 connected 1,000 foot long wings. Plus a 1,500 long single story addition wing. It even has a stage area for the 'Little Theater" group. 3 eateries too.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

Aspiring Member
    Leslie Mary, no I didn't take any pictures today, but here's the link to their website http://www.saltsmill.org.uk/

I looked up Lowes Mill too, that looks well worth a visit

Leslie Mary, IMO artists are some of the most accepting people so they would likely enjoy seeing and talking with you. I am not sure on others though.
    Crissy

Charlotte,
    Like the model village there are a lot of sights around the UK where you can just get away from it all.

I stayed in a B&B near there about three years ago.

I am pleased you were able to have a similar experience.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Saltaire is definitely a grand day out. Salt's mill and the village were built by Titus Salt along with all the amenities needed by his workforce, including a hospital, library and a park. A great example for today's entrepreneurs. Hockney a great bonus too. I didn't realise that exhibition was still there. Must go back sometime.

I may try Lowes Mill after the new year. The drab me is well known there since I am a member of the Artist guild.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

Charlotte, Saltaire is almost home for me, just a few minutes away. Wish that I had known, we could have met up.
    Salts mill was noted for its production of alpaca wool, and of course the village surrounding it. Could go into a full history lesson here, but not now.
    I tend to agree with your thoughts really David Hockney, although I'm not sure about some of his earlier work, not my taste. Apart from the gallery the mill also has a brilliant antiques centre, and a fabulous music shop. All well worth the visit, and there's plenty of good cafes in the vicinity. Hope to see you there some day.
    Kaye