Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ageing out?

Quote Originally Posted by Alice Torn View Post
    I have heard and read, that even Caitlyn Jenner is having some regrets about the whole thing now, and even considering going back into Bruce mode again. Not sure if it is true, but i am sure it comes into mind at times. i am just a very occasional dresser, and seldom feel like going through all the work of getting dolled up, now.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

There are extreme situations, that very few of us on here, have experienced, that would be "push came to shove" reasons to curtail ones dressing, such as civil war, or world war , large terrible natural disasters, famine, pandemics. In those cases, mere survival would trump all our dressing issues. Humans and animals are adaptable to many things.
    Caitlyn Jenner has no intention of detransitioning. That is an old tabloid rumor that has been thoroughly debunked. In recent photos she seems to be very happy with her new girlfriend.
    Carries a spray bottle of "pink fog" around with her in her purse at all times.

Aging? Yes. Aging out, not possible. BobbiJo has been ingrained with me my whole life and will be to the end, No choices.

thaks , i am 76 and not sure if i am aging out or jsut too tall. At 6 2 even with cutting heels to 2 inches i am sure i will be read. right now i am having second thoughts on an hair and nail appointment this afternoon. I am up, dressed, partner is traveling for a couple of weeks, and i made an appointment almost a week ago. Assume i will go without forms on, without make up, but was close to canceling an hour ago as i showered and shaved. I did read a post on another site and she said she did not shave her legs to sit home alone, she went out to diner was read, uneventfully, and it was ok, That was the support i needed to keep my appointment this afternoon and i am not likely to go to dinner, but am looking for a movie tomorrow night? will be interesting. and i thank those of you who post for i need that support right now

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda Jean View Post
    Yesterday I had an appointment for a haircut at a Dillard's salon I've been going to for several months. The hair salon used to be my thing in a big way. Now with short hair that I still hate and am still not used to, all that is gone. I obviously can't do the whole female thing at the salon anymore since I require a wig for that, but I still try to make it as pleasant as I can. I wore leggings, a long lightweight hoodie, Anne Klein flats, and carried a clutch. It was an outfit that flew totally under the radar, as it was intended. Absolutely nobody paid a bit of attention to me, which was also intended.

Thing is, it felt odd. I've been out a million times, full girl and not. This should be very familiar ground. Yesterday it was just different. It was like walking mindlessly down a familiar street and going a block too far and not realizing where you are. That male face in the salon mirror looking back at me is quite disconcerting, given what I used to see in a salon mirror. But it's not just that. I had one of those "What the hell am I doing?" moments. I've had a few of those lately. I've had some relationship issues lately that probably magnify those feelings, but I don't think it's just that. I also realize that often these feelings are fleeting, and I may be just living for being full-on fem this weekend.

It does make me seriously consider, though, if the time is coming for me to put it all away for good. Maybe I've aged out. Maybe I've reached a point of saturation. Maybe whatever this strange force is that has driven me so headlong into living my life as nearly to that of a woman as a non-transitioner can conceive is finally all used up. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I hope it's not gone. For my whole life, "it" has been there. Thrills, escape, comfort... This has been such a source of so many wonderful moments in my life I sure don't want to give it up! No way I'll ever give it up entirely, but right now I'm seeing this winding down to where the extent of my cding might be a purse and nail polish. I hope not!
    if thats dillards in binghamton ny let me know please for i have mixed fears about a hair and nail appointment in cortland ny in a few hours

Probably too lat for this to reach you, Jennifer 1, but please don't let anything I say influence ANYBODY!. This my deal, and it'll likely pass. I've had my hair and nails done in male mode many, many times and most times it was an exquisite experience. Not feeling it right now, but believe me, I HAVE felt it, and I want like hell to feel it again!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda Jean View Post
    Probably too lat for this to reach you, Jennifer 1, but please don't let anything I say influence ANYBODY!. This my deal, and it'll likely pass. I've had my hair and nails done in male mode many, many times and most times it was an exquisite experience. Not feeling it right now, but believe me, I HAVE felt it, and I want like hell to feel it again!
    never too late, thanks i did go to the salon, very friendly wore denim jeggings, old pair of penny loafers and no socks instead of the new low heels i have switched to, tee shrit, bra but too forms out, very light make up, pale lip color, and not withstanding my nervousness i had a great visit, good talk full set of nails, and now i have to leran to keyboard with nails,
    absolutely great to get home again and put dinner in over , but after running a hair brush through mu new curls which i think look great
    so i close with a thank you for being here, for knowing there are so many supportive folks on the planet
    will probably go to movie tomorrow night in syracuse or binghampton, not too close to home, not sure about eating dinner at a restaurant, maybe ?

Rhonda, we have "known" one another for a while now and I promised you a thoughtful reply. I'll give it my best.

I re-read what you have written, trying to find parallels to my situation. I think I found one that is really important. You and I have both been there, in the club of the "real-hairs". We have our respective reasons but neither of us are there any longer and speaking for myself, I'm not very happy about it.

Yet, on another level, I don't think I have been this content in a very long time. I am at an equilibrium that some of us strive for and many of us fear. I am completely comfortable in my own skin, with my lot in life, and know that what is in my heart of hearts will always be there no matter how I am presenting.

Age? I'm not that old but in light of above, I currently detest the effort it takes to put on the female presentation. Part of it is my own doing, insisting on the facial tweeze before leaving the house but from there, the thought of a wig is something I just cannot get my head around (pun fully intended). I had lost mine, having not worn it in exactly 10 years from when I just got my hair cut off. Or so I thought. I just found it in an unexpected place, a garage cabinet zipped inside an Estee Lauder tote. In the meantime, a dear friend gave me two barely-if-at-all used wigs that didn't work for her but sadly, I have not taken them out of the box. Not for a lack of absolute gratitude or intent to do so, it's just that there is pretty much zero alone time at home to experiment with new looks. I'm not feeling the incentive to throw caution to the wind and just do it in the real world. Again, 10 years since I've worn a wig, it is utterly foreign.

I am immersed in a relatively new job, more fulfilling than anything I have ever done, and I'm working much harder than ever. That saps energy. I'm off this week and today or tomorrow would have been made for an outing but I cannot be bothered. There is about 5% chance that I'll do so tomorrow which means there is a 95% chance I'll report back later and say I didn't do it. Still, I'll make a trip down to SD to see another dear friend in guy mode and I'll be rather happy in doing so.

Age? I don't think so. Do not lose sight over what a woman's hair means to her and how it can affect us when we choose to lose it (for whatever reason). I took an intermediate step from long to a feminine short style which I absolutely adored. Yet it was still tricky to "guy" up and it no longer made sense to deal with that all the time in favor of less than 5% of feminine presentation.

So this is kind of a different angle. Am I even remotely close, Rhonda?
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Hey Sara,

Thanks for the reply. Lots of parallels there, including the job thing. Maybe even on the equilibrium thing, but I'm not so comfortable with it. I seem to seek the dissonance.

For the week between Christmas and New Year's I enjoyed dressing (to one extent or another) more than I have in a while. I was out of town, and strongly considered not even taking a female wardrobe. Had to kind of make myself indulge at first, but was glad I did. I know the obvious question is, "If you have to force yourself, why do it?" Well, because it's worth doing. Too big a part of me for too long and at too high of a cost to just let it all evaporate. The wig... still makes if feel too much like a costume, but nothing is going to change it's necessity. Even wore forms (another thing that had come to feel "inauthentic") and loved the effect so much that I'll probably be back on that for a while.

I'm getting comfortable with the idea that this path is not a straight line, and that it is not ever-advancing. It's OK to retreat. There are no rules! My previously hard-charging full steam ahead ride to, well, nowhere, really, had to come to an end. Kind of like when Wiley Coyote ran as hard as he could with that rubber band stretching further and further until it snatched him back. I know how that feels!

Rhonda, the line may not be straight but if we are honest with ourselves, we know very well what resides at the core of our being. What we do with that is the question.

Some here talk about music and how their tastes change with what they wear. If I hear another reference to "Man I Feel Like A Woman" I may just puke. But at the same time I acknowledge my own triggers which are far more sophisticated than said song (OK, I'm listening to some killer disco now, happens to be "More Than A Woman" by Tavares). My mind instantly was transported to one of my many Vegas trips and to bring it full circle, it was all about the hair. I thought about how I am/was defined by my hair.

I'm reading these words as they are being written and I am none too happy. It is the root of how I feel now, how I have felt for quite some time. If I dwell on it, it will quash the feeling of contentment that I have talked myself into (?) for the last several months. Sure, I'll convince myself I'm fine tomorrow but tell that to my tears now.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)