Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where does MONEY fit into your CDing picture?

Banned Read only

Where does MONEY fit into your CDing picture?

Money as in not how much money you can devote to your presentation, but your JOB.

You dare not ever leave the safety of your house, because of fear of losing your source of income/being fired if discovered out in the RW "dressed"?

Chances are good that friends, relatives and coworkers finding out are also part of the money question?

Bonus question (mostly) for the many retired folks here. Did you wait until you retired to escape your closet or was that at least your plan? Has being retired turned out to be all that you expected as far as your CDing?

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I dressed when I was working and never gave it any thought because CDing isn't against the law and if were fired because of CDing I would take it to court.
    No company would fire you over a hobby you do at home.
    I never cared if anyone "found out".
    Retirement is awesome I am finally free to enjoy life and not have to deal with massive amounts of stress.

Banned Read only
    I am not at all worried about losing my job if I came out or if anyone found out, I am more worried about losing life long relationships with friends and family.

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    As Tracii said it's not against the law, no worries here but I'm not in hiding.

Yes, I was concerned about losing my job over dressing. I worked in a very testosterone charged environment.

I admit that as I got older and ventured out into the world more I was concerned less and less about this.

I remember when my XO came into my office upset about a crossdresser in the crew! He'd found some briefs in the laundry that looked like woman's panties. I had to work to keep from laughing in his face as I sat there "underdressed" in panties and hose. I managed to calm him down and put the issue to rest without upsetting anyone. I didn't dare bring up my ballet lessons and those were in "male mode".

Now that I'm retired I care less about people finding out but it still concerns my wife and that matters to me. Also, we're still working out where Linda fits into retirement. It's a constant give and take.

On the plus side we're going away for a few days and one of those days is dedicated to "Linda Shopping"! I'll be in drab mode but looking through the racks for a wardrobe update.

Banned Read only
    Some of my first forays outside the home was taking drives and strolls in the late evening. That was way before this site was around. The endless compulsion to "Just do It" was overwhelming. Yes, there was an element of peril involved. I did have a meet and greet sort of job. It was always in the back of my mind there was a possibility of ending up in the emergency room after a car accident with our local newspaper blaring a bold headline; "Crossdresser injured in car accident wearing dress and heels." Why? A long time ago in my neighborhood a cross dresser did commit suicide by burning his house down around him. I still remember his name. When the first department arrived he held them at bay by shooting out the door while he sat in his recliner. The news article described with some morbidity his charred remains were found in the chair and he was wearing strap on heels. Talk about a hell of a way to go. This was back circa 1979. No way did I want to titillate the local media. Maybe some sense was knocked into me or I had my desires fulfilled.

As a retiree I still keep my desires within the home when my wife is at work. When she goes out of state I do go for evening drives and strolls. I am not fearful of being discovered. However, I realize my cross dressing is a shared secret with my wife, and, any negativity coming from it would also be shared.

Right now I have been retired more more than ten years. My wife still works maybe one or two full days per week which gives me time to be en femme. When she does finally fully retire that will have a serious impact on my ability to be en femme.

Y'know, I think that if I pressed it, I wouldn't lose my job if I wanted to show up 'en femme'. But, it would be an awkward adjustment for all concerned and they don't pay me to be a distraction and make work awkward for myself and others.

As I am self employed no worry about the boss finding out. He all ready knows. I dress as I please everyday, and have very few "male" items left in my wardrobe.
    Joan58

As a retired Senior--don't have job issues. Having my own place (not shared) for a number of yrs now has provided for "unrestricted Dressing" at any time. But-- with "fixed-income" spending IS an issue!! Have to be careful to keep the Pink Fog under control!!!! When I was still working---wore panties on occasion- but that was it. Toni G..
    "Seen by Many---Clocked by Any??"
    In the Snowbird Zone

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Linda I worked in the trucking industry for 40+ years and talk about testosterone filled environment !!!!
    I never really cared and dropped enough hints about being gay but never had any problems.
    Did they think I was kidding I don't know?
    I am still friends with a lot of the guys I worked with.

I never went out when I working except for Halloween with my wife. I worked in a small town and my employer had an employment clause that you could be let go for anything that they determined may bring negative attention upon them. The closer I got to retirement the more nervous I became.

After I retired I still do not go out as I promised the wife I would not. She does not have issues with it if we would go far away from our town. I am dressing a lot more. In the summer she spends three months out of state with with her family. She gets away from the heat and humidity. I stay back and visit my mom three days a week at her facility. Except for visiting her, doing my errands and mowing I stay inside and dressed. I don't like the constant heat we have in the summers so staying inside a lot does not bother me.

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    I'd lose my income in a heart beat. I've always been in commission based sales, and as a rule the public and my industry is very judgemental. As a rule a lot of people will tell you "I'm supportive" then when it comes time to 'be' supportive they are no where to be seen. It's something I have to live with.
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

Quite a bit, as I realized I've saved enough for early retirement and don't have to worry about finding another job. And I have perfectly viable "plan B."

The fear is real. Although it is illegal to fire someone for crossdressing, "at-will" employment contracts in the US mean that you could coincidentally find your position eliminated.

I could dress however I cared to as I own and operate my own business. However, the problem is I operate in "my" territory and I deal with the same customers every week. Most are mechanics ...some more macho than others. That being said, YES it's a money concern for me if I were to share Joyce with my customer base. Now it would be interesting to see the reactions if I did start sharing this part of me. Maybe after all of the start up debt gets paid it would be fun to see ...only one way to find out!

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Now when I do retire I will most certainly dress however and whenever I can get away with it with my wife and she is very reasonable and accepting.

Quote Originally Posted by Macey View Post
    Y'know, I think that if I pressed it, I wouldn't lose my job if I wanted to show up 'en femme'. But, it would be an awkward adjustment for all concerned and they don't pay me to be a distraction and make work awkward for myself and others.
    I think you display the proper response for any good employee. Responsible and respectful of your work environment and fellow workers. We as adults should realize the world doesn't revolve around us and our personal needs when it comes to earning a living and producing for our employer. If you are elf employed and can afford to confront the norms of the business world by being different well have at it. But when working for another it is at his expenses that you present and perform.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Fran
    It's worth something just being around to Fuss!

I am pretty much retired, on a low income, and live now in a senior apartment place, where i would never want to be outed. When i held a job, and also was self employed, i found myself wanting to dress far more, than now, that i have time to myself. I have other issues mental and emotional, and family of origin issues, and spiritual issues, too. My desire to dress has waned a lot, and when i was near suicide 15 months ago, i purged 99%. I was trying to meet admirers, too, but stopped it. I need to get a will made soon, as i have had close calls on the roads, and chest pains a lot. I am trying to be a better man, and still dress occasionally, but do not go out anymore. I know i am closer to my final day, than my first, and also realize very difficult times are coming for all peoples.

As a retired person who's in the closet, for me it's turned out as well if not better than I expected. The first couple of years my SO still worked so I was "home alone" and able to dress frequently. When she retired I feared the worst that my ability to dress would evaporate. This has turned out not to be the case. True I can't dress as much but still often enough to meet my needs.

As for money, thankfully we have sufficient income such that, while I can't buy everything that takes my fancy, I'm still able to keep my wardrobe sufficiently updated.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Gold Member
    Well I am Retired, have a great Pension and SS, with a few investments from my IRA, I m OK
    Not rich, But as long as I behave my self, I am OK.
    I live alone now, house paid off years ago, so I just dress at home as often as I can.
    Rader

Work is the only place where I 100% dress in skirts. Usually a skirt and work appropriate heels with a company t-shirt or button up shirt. My work prides itself in inclusive and have had no issues.

when you are retired, living with one low income money play a big role in CD. Unless you team up with a group, in house activities are the norm. So I would say $$ plays a big role for sure.
    Wanting something is a fantasy which on a long time period clouds your mind and makes you think you need it.

Rayleen

I wonder sometime how co-workers would feel about me if they knew about me as miss-Judy?
    I have a really great job right now, A dream job.
    I think if they found out I'd be OK due to they hired a TRANS six months ago.
    I feel compelled to come out to her but, I hear that TRANS don't necessarily relate to CD'ers.
    Well anyhow the company hired him/her so I would hope they except me if found out.
    "This is ME" I am not CRAZY, I'm just a GUY who likes dresses!
    Since allot of men dress up in woman's clothing that makes it a manly thing to do!
    Much more fun than fishing.
    I do construction like house building and I love CD-ing, what's the difference?

I am retired. I started public cross dressing three years before I retired. It wasn’t a worry for me, because I worked as a very high end systems analyst, and I telecommuted full time. None of my coworkers even lived in the same city! And even if people at work did find out, my employer had very progressive LGBTQ protection policies. Had I worked there for a few more years, I could have openly done a full transition. I ended up retiring early, laid off solely for the reason of a massive reduction in force that eliminated a lot of senior people, regardless of job performance or criticality to the team’s services.

Not money related, but I did wait until after both of my parents plus my wife passed away. Had I not been concerned about their reactions, I might well have transitioned years earlier.

4+ years after my first public outing en-femme, I am now four months into HRT, and on track for full transition.

At my previous employer, if I dressed, I would have been terminated. While management claimed to be progressive, they weren’t. The two openly gay men that worked there quickly hit the glass ceiling. At least I could underdressing with no issues. My current employer is much different. I think if I wanted to dress more feminine, I could as long as I didn’t have to meet with any clients. I’ve worn my Aerosole dress shoes and boots many times with no comments. I know a few of the ladies have seen the trademark diamond pattern on the bottom of the shoes. I haven’t taken it to the level of outwardly wearing clothing, and don’t know if I will any time soon. I’ve thought of getting a pair of women’s dress slacks that have a bit of a men’s look to then to wear, maybe even match it to a nice blouse.

Banned Read only
    Wild....,
    No real plan for me it just evolved . OK being a self employed photographer and still being married I only dressed for the hours I spent in my colour darkroom or when the house was empty , coming out in those days was possibly a none starter , without doubt it would have affected my business .

Retirement does make it a whole lot easier but the disavantage is we have missed the years of youth and must now accept certain age limitations .
    The problem is retirment gives you the time to think and decide where your life is going , my CDing freedom has cost me my marriage but I have to admit I'm a whole lot happier , becoming Teresa just had to happen and it is better than I expected .

I'm sure within a few short years this type of question will be unnecessary .