Thread: Transformation service and ah ha moment

Question Transformation service and ah ha moment

The other day while on holiday break I was talking to my girlfriend. She just retired and currently is looking for part time employment. Watching her submit dozens of applications on-line I suggested opening up the house to crossdressers who cant dress safely and assist with their makeup etc. As the idea morphined to even taking glam shots to shopping excursions.

Her first experience with crossdressing started with her brother who fully transitioned, to include researching for doctors who would perform the SRS. So she is NOT new to the scene.

I worked some risk assessments with her but would love everyone to opine on how they would approach and start this small business. No suggestion would be un-welcomed and happy holidays everyone

Ill start first:
    Liability insurance , can you say "high heels walking down the stairs?
    Escapism isn't necessarily bad, but is definitely unhealthy in the long term. While helpful in the short term, things will degrade over time. At some point, the escapee will have to face the issue. Things simply blowing over isn't really going to happen in many situations.

Merry Christmas,

Seems a good way to get 2019 started, a new venture.

As for risk assessment and liability, that's probably worth taking to a lawer about. Banks often offer advice to small startups. They want the business.

Good luck with your venture.

Legals and finances: If you're to run this out of the house, make sure you're zoned for it. How you register the business (sole proprietor, LLC, etc) may make a difference in this as well. Will also make a difference in how you file the taxes. Register to get your tax ID number. Set up a bank account and a process of accepting credit/bank cards.

You said "Can I say "high heels walking down stairs"". I can do that
    Loose gravel in stilettos? take some flats.
    Ramps with their inclined surfaces are, to me, much harder.
    When on stairs, I tend to turn both of my feet to toward the wall and my feet are totally on the step. Use the handrails if you can.

Training on wardrobe selection included with the facial arts. Wardrobe is actually more important than make-up because your outfit is normally seen first.

Selection of the proper FULLY BODY skin care will give you smother skin.
    Wish I could stop abusing my legs when in drab and then having the scars show when en fem.

I understand what you are going through because I helped my #1 daughter set up her business. We invested over $30,000 in her venture but it fell through in two years. Wrong services in a market declining do to the rescission.
    Last edited by Leslie Mary S; 12-25-2018 at 05:20 AM.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

Location and available space.

Is the house secluded or in a crowded busy neighborhood? The clients, by your own words, can't dress safely where they are. Consequently they'll be concerned about their anonymity. Can they arrive and park in private, back of the house or drive in garage. Then they'd want to leave there car and go inside without nosey neighbors ogling them.

It doesn't matter what the neighbors do or not do but the "fears" of your clients that matter. They want to be able to do this in a safe and concealed environment.

Next, how much space do you have for this? Is there closet space to store the display the clothing you'd use? Is there a room to use as a photo studio? How about the makeup room? You'll need special equipment, chairs, lights, carts and lots and lots of counter space.

Yes, you've got a lot to think about and none of this goes to the financial side. What to charge, advertising budget, expenses. How many clients do you need a month to meet your financial goals?

OK, I'll stop. Believe it or not I'm not a business or financial guy. Just when the idea was thrown out there all this popped into my head because they are things "I'd" be concerned about if I used such a service. (I have at Jim Bridges and Lydia's in Los Angeles. I heard both are now closed.)

Good Luck and let use know how things progress!

Ill start first:
    Liability insurance , can you say "high heels walking down the stairs?
    Running a business out of your home in which *customers come to you* requires commercial insurance.
    If your homeowners insurance finds out you are running a customer based home business they WILL drop you and it will go on record that it was because of your business.

Been there, done that. Had to either move my business elsewhere or close it.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Rough business! I know a few in it. Starting a new business is always difficult.

Dressers can be VERY difficult to deal with. They have so many more issues than vanilla people!

I would start by offering makeovers and photos. You'll need a mini studio for the latter. Or, at least a back drop, green screen, etc.

Best of luck!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Location location location. Something like this is most likely to succeed in a major metro area like New York, LA, or Chicago. If you’re in a less populated area you really have to consider how many dressers there are in the area, factored by how many would actually use your service, further distilled by how many would be willing or able to afford what you want to charge. Always ask yourself if there is a reason nobody has opened a similar business in your area.

Assisting with makeup could be tricky too. You might need a cosmotoligy license.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    That should be morphed not morphined but I am sure that was a typo.
    Business license, insurance,taxes and plenty of capital to run the business and buy the stock needed to function.
    The first year you will lose money more than likely hence having plenty of capital to survive and stay in business.
    Advertising costs on radio or TV should be looked at or you can post on social media or poster boards at grocery stores that have local ads on them is a avenue to look at as well.
    When I had my trucking business I was surprised how much hauling business I got from posting on local message boards at grocery stores.
    Main thing is have plenty of capital to work with at the outset and keep it for the business and do not take personal money out, its there for the business only.
    Search out your clients from local trans groups in the area that would be the best bet to get your name out there.
    Word of mouth is the best advertisement of all

I have a friend who does it, apparently, successfully.

She started small, and part time, and became a "re-seller" first for Mary Kay and then for a different company.

I don't know how well she is doing financially, but she is basically full service now: makeover, borrow clothes and shoes, photography, real life outings, shopping, etc.

I know at least 2 other GGs doing a similar business model, and one CD/TG also.

In my state, a cosmetologists licence is required and a business license. You're unlikely to get caught ignoring the licensing requirements, but if you do get caught, the punishment could be severe. It could be as simple as an allergic reaction to the makeup applied.

BTW, the CD/TG claims to have taken cosmetology training and has a state-issued license, and has an actual store front. I don't really know about the others, but I think they work out of their homes.
    Last edited by Di; 12-25-2018 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Can not advertise her business
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Good point on the store front thing because doing a business out of your home can be illegal due to zoning regulations.

Aspiring Member
    Make up a SHORT list of questions and call somebody who already offers this service. Just google m2f transformations.

Thank you and feel free to keep opining on what you would like to see, "if" you were to be a potential customer.
    Last edited by mbmeen12; 12-26-2018 at 04:28 AM. Reason: typo
    Escapism isn't necessarily bad, but is definitely unhealthy in the long term. While helpful in the short term, things will degrade over time. At some point, the escapee will have to face the issue. Things simply blowing over isn't really going to happen in many situations.

A website will be important. Get a professional in unless you or a friend/family member really know what they are doing.

Learn about SEO. Developing an online presence takes time and/or money but you are best placed to know your own audience.

This all assumes there is a market, as Micki rightly points out. You need to do some research to test whether this is a viable business first.

Good luck

i think it is a great idea. I know I would use it I have the worse problem with makeup

I would ask Sometimes-Steffi to hook up your friend up to her friends so they can give advice from their experience.

Research competitors, do not re-event the wheel. How much do they charge, what do they offer.

In the UK my friend does photography and apparently below a certain income she does not even claim it as a business, starting small could be an option. That is offsite though, insurance and house classification still needs looking at, i.e residential vs business use.

Start for free, feedback is such an important commodity. See if any interest, dont spend much but test the water.

Queen of Chinatown jennifer0918's Avatar
    I agree with Doc,dressers are a bit difficult and cheap,from what I gather of my friends in the business. Makeovers, photos, and excursions are good. I have offered excursions for no cost only have a cd back out at the last minute or never show up. How about getting your own makeup line? another idea rent out a space for crossdressers to store there clothes or offer a mailing service where cd's can get mail. A lot of cds can't receive packages at home because of wives or kids. But I totally agree with DOC.

MB, I see that you are in Connecticut. It might be worth your girlfriend's while to attend the First Event conference in Marlboro, Massachusetts starting January 30th. It would be an excellent place for her to network with potential customers, vendors and competitors. Attendance last year was over 900 over the several days of the event.
    I am a vessel of the goddess. Let me express my calling to a feminine life through nurturing love and relatedness.

Excellent ideas, thank you...

Is the house secluded or in a crowded busy neighborhood? Secluded and room to park!

Local message boards at grocery stores. Not a bad idea but worried /unable to vet but there is a post/profile on fetlife.

In the UK my friend does photography and apparently below a certain income she does not even claim it as a business, starting small could be an option? Yes little investment with area dressers who would need girl time and a safe environment.

First Event conference in Marlboro, Massachusetts! Yes brilliant too...

Always ask yourself if there is a reason nobody has opened a similar business in your area? I think that what makes this a great idea. Can you say closeted/some girls like to dress in maid outfits etc.

Reality Check
    Running a business where customers come to your home may be illegal in your area. It may also be a violation of HOA covenants. If it causes traffic or parking problems, your neighbors may not like it. If neighbors find out the purpose of your business, you can be guaranteed neighbors won't like it.

With that said, how about personal safety? Will you (or she) be comfortable with a strange man or men in the house?

I would think the negatives outweigh the positives in this case.
    Krisi

Outstanding Krisi on advice, I ran a small business in my HOR. LLC will be forth coming and quarterly/s will be filed along with a 1099. As to risk assessment on stranger danger we will be fetting.

Again great post!