Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it essental that we venture out dressed, in order to further the 'cause'?

Is it essental that we venture out dressed, in order to further the 'cause'?

Thank you to everyone who feels that the decision to either remain closeted or go out is a personal one, which should be respected.

Thank you, too, to those who feel that to remain closeted somehow shows a lack of courage and conviction. Although I disagree with you, I respect your right to hold those views.

There are other ways in which people such as I can and do, do our bit to further the cause by challenging people's perceptions of our community. I work with special people every day, and it is by treating every human as a person of great worth, that we teach tolerance, acceptance, and above all, love for one another.

That's my perspective. What is yours?

May the new year bring all of us oodles of peace, joy, hope and love.

Banned Read only
    Gale,
    How you deal with your own circumstances is yours and yours alone . People need to remain in the closet for so many reasons , to some they have shown enough courage to fulfill their own needs . My personal take on it was solitary confinement , I needed more, not initially to help others but simply to come to terms with my TG issues .

To answer your qusetion I do believe we need to be out in the RW to further our cause . People know more about TG issues but very few have come across a crossdressing person, we are still a minority on the streets . It's hard to put a figure on the number of people I've met as Teresa , as far as I'm aware I haven't upset or given anyone problems but it is a learning curve for both sides, in this situation it can't be any bad thing . Two points I have been amazed at is once I've given people an opening they have told me about people they know or family members who are TG , the other is how many F/M TG people there are now . Maybe this touches on the thorny subject of being read and passing , the fact is we are read and don't pass 100% , the point to accept is we are TG members of society , we can contribute to it on that basis on an equal footing .

People who choose to remain in the closet I have no problem with but it does need a core of us the take those extra steps and go out and fly the flag , otherwise the scene in the UK wouldn't have moved on .
    Last edited by Teresa; 01-01-2019 at 06:35 AM.

I’m sure going out dressed “furthers the cause” but not everyone wants the fall out, of course. The conflict between these two ideas is responsibility to self v responsibility to the CD community, and I think responsibility to self has to be the priority.

Does it help "the cause" by venturing out, of course it helps, the more people see a trangender person the more normal it starts to become. Now to answer the actual question "Is it essential"', no I don't think it is. There are many ways to help and they don't require someone to be out or even to be transgender. It is just as important for people to be supportive of transgender people and to let others see that it is ok to interact with us as they would any other "normal" person, none of which requires someone to come out..

I'm truly glad for those that regularly go out. I want to and will at some point, but I'm not a 'cause' and would only want to go out dressed as an outward expression of myself. If that helps others? Great and I would be inclined to share the experience.

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    I dress. I enjoy. I go out dressed.
    I'm not trying to further any Cause.
    That's just nonsense.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

NO!

What is on the inside is what is most important!

If you are not confident enough to venture out dressed "Don't do it!"

Leave it to the some of us which are capable of taking the risks!
    Stacy!
    STOP, Well I just dance the way I feel
    Stop breathing imagine none of this is real

Well I just dance the way I feel
    "Ou Est Le Swimming Pool"

Gale, I don't believe it is essential. I head out because I like to, not because it is going to change anyone's mind.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    I do go out on a semi regular basis, but it is just for me and the need to escape the confines of the house. I am not a flagwaver.
    See the last line of my signature....,
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

When I go somewhere it's for me. I need to shop or want to go somewhere.
    I'm not a flag waver, I don't feel I need to do it to "further the cause". I do feel that when I do I need to be the best me so that others see me, not as a freak, not as a curiosity or a threat, but just as another person. In the scheme of things that will further the cause.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

I don't go out, because I don't want to take the chance of ruining my business.

My ability to pay my bills supersedes putting forth "The cause."

Now, if someone wants to put me on the payroll for going out dressed, (Please include timely pay raises, insurance, paid vacations, and clothing allowances) then sign me up! You just got a lifetime employee. I can ignore cracks and comments easily.
    I don't dress up because I want to be a woman, I dress up to make me happy.

Gale,

Those who choose to go out and present as normal, well mannered, polite individuals will by the very nature of interacting with others, help to further the cause. If you like it's a byproduct of the process.

It would be a rare individual who initially sets out into the wide world with the main intention being to promote our cause. In truth we that stepped out did so to fulfill a need that exists within us. A need to express fully who we are.

We, the community, have been fortunate in that the Gay community have led the way in gaining greater visibility and through that, greater acceptance from society. We hung onto their coat tails and have benefited from that. It is however time for our community to promote it's own cause and ultimately the only way to do that is for ever more folks to get out and mingle. As the saying goes, "Out of sight, out of mind". If we're not there to be seen, people won't give us a second thought

For some it will always, for what ever reasons and there are many, be a step too far. What those who go out do in their writings here is try to reassure those teetering in the edge of stepping out that it isn't the big bad world imagination often concocts in our heads for us.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Quote Originally Posted by Paula DAngelo View Post
    There are many ways to help and they don't require someone to be out or even to be transgender. It is just as important for people to be supportive of transgender people and to let others see that it is ok to interact with us as they would any other "normal" person, none of which requires someone to come out..
    A few years back I was collecting signatures for a pro equality petition. There were people who wouldn't put the pen to the paper but all the while say they have "no problem with this"..Occasionally there is a post on the forum about a "discussion at work" and the post chose not to support the object of the discussion for "FEAR" of being found out..So,perhaps some good could have come from it,but that didn't happen.I wish stuff like that not to happen. Everyone has the right to be themselves in this short life.
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

Reality Check
    I dress. I enjoy. I go out dressed.
    I'm not trying to further any Cause.
    That's just nonsense.
    My thoughts exactly!

Furthermore, when I go out, I'm hoping that nobody notices me, that I blend into the crowd as another woman that just walked by.
    Krisi

Am I furthering a cause if I pass? If everyone thinks I’m a woman then am I furthering women?
    the only limit that u set, is the one u set yourself.

Banned Read only
    I'm a firm believer in "SHOW me, don't tell me"

Especially if one actually WANTS to further the cause...BUT.

IF "helping the cause" is an actual GOAL?

Is "dressing to blend"/"pass as a female" a good plan?

Is NOT BEING NOTICED going to help any cause?

FACT: There has never been a better time to be a CDer of any flavor

1) all the various places ONline that sell giant high heeled shoes and other clothing items. There is now no need to ever leave one's house.

2) The fact that so many folks out in the RW are simply CONSUMED by their "smartphones" Every second spent CD busting in the RW is time NOT spent on their phone. That's a slam dunk decision for most.

I think a good plan for the "full presenters" actually looking to help the cause?

Go out of your way to actually INTERACT with Joe Doe public. An actual face to face conversation no matter how brief.

Act normal and treat them with dignity and respect unless and until their actions indicate you are wasting your time and effort.

There is no cure for clueless or closed minded.people.

To answer the question.....

NO!

I go out to enjoy myself, I am cautious on the way and when interact with someone that guesses what I am I remain pleasant and certainly don't carry a placcard to show any militancy. Generally I go to parties and whoop it up a little to make it entertaining and do not do in your face acts.

At other times I appear to be another woman going about her business and any looks I get I evaluate why and try to correct the what? next time.

For those that are comfortable staying in the closet all I can say is try and make friends with someone else as it is a gratifying experience having support.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    But then again, not all of us go out. We are content to stay at home, enjoy our hobby and not have to deal with the consequences of violating social "norms".
    ----It might be an element of "dangerous fun" for some, but a lot of us would rather not have to deal with it. And if the element were removed, it would not be "fun" anymore, now would it.

I was out a lot over Christmas and very visible, and I talked in my normal voice to lots of strangers, many of whom had never interacted with a trans person before. I wasn't bothered or self-conscious about it, so neither was anyone else. One guy thanked me - I think he was expecting some sort of militant weirdo and it was eye-opening to meet just a regular person instead. Did that "further the cause"? Probably, and maybe I was vaguely aware of that, but I was mainly just out and about being me and living my life.

Now that all said - I'm very aware that there is a whole set of circumstances that allows me to do things like this. I'm not in a relationship, I have no kids, I'm already out to any family that matter, I'm not going to lose my job if it comes out at work, etc etc. I also have a fairly thick hide, and I still took the best part of 50 years to get to a point where I finally accept myself for who I am. That's possibly the biggest single factor. All of this would have been inconceivable only a year ago.

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GaleWarning View Post
    it is by treating every human as a person of great worth, that we teach tolerance, acceptance, and above all, love for one another.
    If a CD'er goes out and does an excellent job of blending in, then nobody notices, that may be very good for them, but how does it further "the cause"? In most societies today, people are unobservant and hence fringe groups get into their face to get there point across. Then the people react to having someone getting into their face and there is backlash.

My bias leans more toward the 50/50 approach. Another example would be, if someone went out in guy clothes except for a skirt, that may lead toward acceptance sooner. What would most people see, someone with bare legs, and not think about it at all, or until later on. There was a story in the news last summer about male Paris bus drivers wearing skirts to work because of the summer heat. Dress codes wouldn't allow shorts, but women bus drivers could wear skirts, so the men dressed in skirts also. The same thing happening in some school also. Wars are won one battle at a time, win the battle of wearing the clothes first, then go for the passing part later, if that is your goal.

Look at how manscaping has come a long way recently, it's not just CD'ers who want to get rid of the 'fuzz'. We all might be amazed at how many men are wearing panties, pantyhose, or lingerie, but would never consider themselves as being CD'ers. Why are they wearing these clothes, because they find them comfortable, or necessary for some unknown reason. We don't need to convince people of anything other than everyone needs to wear clothes for whatever reason they have. If they are not against you, then assume they are for you. As it was said, "acceptance, and above all, love for one another."
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Some feel they have to be part of a "cause" for some reason maybe its that bunch that have the victim mentality.
    To me getting out and interacting with the public and showing them we are nice people is enough for me.
    I don't need to march and carry signs or scream out meaningless slogans and talking points.
    Assimilate not agitate seems to be working for me.
    If you feel you have to belong to one set of trans people and raise hell constantly IMO you aren't helping anything.
    Case in point that crazy trans woman on you tube screaming at the store clerk because he mis genderd her.

Essential? No. Effective? Absolutely. Any of us who is out in public for any length of time (you know, long enough to get past the terror ), can tell you that. It helps, a lot, if you display proper decorum and confident bearing. As I've said many times, you don't have to pass. Just be polite and most people will reciprocate. I believe that even the ones that point and gape are just a tiny bit less shocked with each encounter that they have with us. It's all progress.

For the longest time, I believed that I was no "flag waver". I'm still not. Oh, I believe in serving the cause, and do so in my quiet way, but serving the cause it not why I go out in public. That's just me, enjoying an opportunity to be the real me. Perhaps someday, there will no longer be a "cause", and we can all just be ourselves.
    Last edited by Aunt Kelly; 01-01-2019 at 12:13 PM.

I do not think that my going out is something I do for "the cause". It is something I do for myself. I doubt that there are many here that are willing or able to publicaly carry the tourch and all that goes with that stance

To me it's always felt like an end game.

Where else is there to go after that? I'd feel like i'd reached a limit or something. So I kind of like that it's some far-off goal for me.

Silver Member
    I essentially agree with Aunt Kelly. When there are polite, and favorable encounters with general public individuals, it would follow that such circumstances might favorably modify the person's mind set of Trans folks. However, if a Trans person is poorly or sloppily presenting to the public, that will just reinforce the public's negative opinion. Just Sayin'.