Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Age-appropriate dressing

I think it’s not so much what’s appropriate for one’s age, but what’s appropriate for the venue.

If a dresser's goal is to go out, their best bet is to dress in a way that’ll be in line with what other folks are wearing. Once that’s achieved, the question is: does it look good or not? If those two requirements aren’t fulfilled, lack of age appropriateness is just compounding a bigger problem.

Of course, what folks wear at home when they’re alone or in the company of consenting partners is their business.
    When haters hate, I celebrate!

It all depends what you are comfortable with. I like clothing that will accentuate my body. Obviously at 64 i'm not going to dress like a 15 year old I see nothing wrong with a stylish outfit regardless of age.

Banned Read only
    I realize that this forum brings together people with a very diverse set of life experiences and perceptions. However, it's getting old to read thread after thread about dressing in age-appropriate gear. You should wear what makes you feel happy, comfortable or complete. What others think is irrelevant at every single level. This is why I truly hate the term "passable". There is no passable. There is no age-appropriate. There is only what makes you feel good about yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by MonicaPVD View Post
    it's getting old to read thread after thread about dressing in age-appropriate gear.
    Everything old is new again.Virtually every topic has been covered many times. Read through the older threads, and you'll find that this is true. How many 'age appropriate' threads do you think are here? 20? 30? I guess about maybe three per year. I never went back and actually counted. But the old threads are all locked, so when noobies want to ask something, there's no way they can, other than to start another thread. It's sort of akin to raising children; as each one grows, they ask the same questions. So instead, we have crossdressers come here and learn as they go. That's why we have to keep responding to the same questions, over and over, to help the new folks who come here. Of course, all the different opinions get stated all over again, so there's support for however you feel. This is a feel good site for crossdressers, after all.

And hopefully, we help each other, and the more experienced ones don't get old and cranky, like me.

Grumble grumble grumble. Snarl.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by sometimes_miss View Post
    Everything old is new again.Virtually every topic has been covered many times.
    Ok,ok, good point. I think I meant comments in general, not just threads. In any event, I'm all for wearing whatever you want to wear out in public.

If it makes them happy it is OK with me. Who am I to judge another's taste or their fantasy

Silver Member
    Because I am closer to 60 years old than 50, I have a tendency to apply the age brakes. My wife thinks I should be conservative as well. She has told me quite clearly that she prefers me in a skirt rather than a dress, and longer ones over shorter. But then friends that know me tell me it's poppycock.

About 5 years ago, I went to my favorite dress shop wearing a knee length animal print skirt with leggings, wedges and a top with cardigan. Fairly conservative, really. A young SA, about twenty, came up and raved about my outfit, saying "I had that exact same skirt and word it until it fell apart." My thought was "Oh crap. I'm dressing like a twenty year old. Not good" The other ladies reassured me, saying, "Our clothes are mature and classy, not aimed at young girls, so she's dressing older. Your look is right on for your age. Youthful but not young."

At other places, they tell me "You have beautiful legs. So if you've got them, go ahead and wear your skirts short." I won't go with a full blown micro mini skirt, but 3 inches above the knee still feels like an good choice at my age. I watch what professional are wearing in their late 30s or 40s and try for that kind of look.

Yes, age appropriate as well. I even got my first age appropriate wig to match my hair color, I have been graying since college. Now almost totally white. So my new wig (which was approved by my dear wife) is the same color as my natural head. Sheesh! I am even wearing a pantsuit that was sort of willed to me after she passed, I kind of look like her.