Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Age-appropriate dressing

Unless I'm doing cosplay, I tend to gravitate towards modest, usually vintage clothing. Shoot, even when cosplaying the most revealing thing I'll wear is a short skirt. So really, I tend to wear clothes that suit an older age most of the time. ^^'

Age appropriate- And- Venue Appropriate ! Causes the least problems--draws least attn. Unless you ARE one that's looking for attn... In my case--wardrobe, hair, and style is chosen to "blend" as best as poss with the Senior GGs in my area. My area is filled with Senior Parks, and Leisure World is a mile so. of my complex. May wear "other things" at home---but when Out its age-appropriate casual wear to blend-in. Toni G..
    "Seen by Many---Clocked by Any??"
    In the Snowbird Zone

I've tried the "short and frilly" look and discovered I hated it. I discovered that I just wanted to look female, not like some teenager's fantasy. I can't say whether my dress is age-appropriate, but it probably is close. I choose outfits that make me look ordinary, because that's the impression I want to project: just an ordinary female.

I also don't feel comfortable criticizing other's choices. I admit that I don't like to see crossdressers who, intentionally or unintentionally make themselves look silly. To me, crossdressing isn't silly. I'm dead serious about it. But if you want to go out in hot pants, fishnet stockings and spike heels, with a full beard, more power to you.

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    I find that if I use a GREY Wig---I look my age, AND I look more "Realistic".-------But since I do not go out, It does not matter, and dressing YOUNGER is more FUN I can look 20 years or more younger with Darker hair. So I tend to dress with the shorter skirts and dark hair, usually. My grey wig is for other "Disguises" and not (Usually) my CDing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I dress as I feel is appropriate to the situation, not necessarily my age (72 for those who care). I get looks whether I'm dressed in a long skirt, a mini, or (men's) dress pants. I try to assume it is because I look fabulous. Sometimes I can convince myself. Bottom line is - if you feel good about yourself and your appearance, just smile, be confident, and love the attention. Be proud of who you are, and be the best you that you can be.

Dee

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    A lot of my dressing at home fulfills any need to dress younger(within reason) and tbh my wife kinda likes it so that's all good.

In my younger years starting out I thought I should wear skirts all the time,was many years before I ever wore trousers or Denims,and now although there's still places and times to wear skirts. I Feel that I blend in more in denims and ankle boots,nice top or sweater combinations.

Having said all that I'm not quite ready to adopt grey wig and dowdy elderly clothing,don't know if I never will

Sophie
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

I've never liked when someone would say that women over there looks like she's wearing her daughters clothes . I mean who cares if there happy more power to them I say

i've not looked, let alone posted, over here for a very long time, but I spotted this thread title, and feel my life these last few years as an out TS has given me some new perspective. Yes, everyone ought to be able to wear whichever clothing they like. And nonetheless, most TS would seek to dress age-appropriate in most situations, because they are seeking to live life as an authentic woman. But ...

The CD'er is free to indulge in self-expression. The CD'er can revel in knowing this is their "play time", so you should dress it up girls, and be outrageous, because that's part of the whole point.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

Banned Read only
    Kaley,
    First of all we don't know what age group you are talking about as you don't reveal your age .

Personally I possibly wear clothes for a slightly younger age group but chosen with care , I accept figure shape does play an important part .

As I'm full time in my new home town , I had to think hard about what to wear for everyday , hopefully chosing the right style of wig and being careful how little makeup to wear . GGs who do push the boat out do stand out but it's not often you see one strutting around in heels especially in the supermarket , 3" heeled boots are possibly the limit and most wear flats .

I must admit it's the part I really enjoy putting the outfits together .

As to the question of letting people find out their mistakes or helping them out , it's a tricky one ! In male mode we would hardly if ever tell another guy he looks a **** , in femme mode we all strive for a different identity , what we think suits us, the problem is we have a huge choice of styles and colours , we can wear a skirt or a dress or resort to jeans / trousers . I keep a careful watch on GGs to see what they wear and how they wear it for the given weather and time of the year .

One interesting point is many GGs said I dress stylishly , I'm still not sure what they mean exactly but sometimes they may look to us for some ideas . How many times have some of us had a GG tell us they really like an item of clothing and where did you get it . I have this happen several times when trying items on in the changing rooms or at my social meetings .

Pamela,
    Yes in basic terms knowing when it's " Playtime " or " Realtime " .

I have to admit it is more fun dressing as a woman when it's appropriate to have fun , slipping on a lovely gown to go out for an evening , whether it be a ball or a nice meal out , feels far more special .
    Last edited by Teresa; 01-07-2019 at 06:51 AM.

After 12 years on this site when I first read this post I was like this could get ugly. I pleased to see it for the most part it hasn't I do of course feel to each her own. I want to thank my wife in that she would never let me leave the house not dressed nice (I have to admit that means age appropriate). I do the same for her that doesn't mean you can't look very stylish (even hot my wife does all the time).

Reality Check
    If you want to go out in public and not make a spectacle of yourself, you should dress your age. There's and expression I am fond of: "Mutton dressed as lamb." Same thing for if you're at home and want to look in the mirror and see a female. Dress your age.

I'm not suggesting that you have to wear a sack dress, I'm suggesting dressing like your wife or sister dresses. The object is not to try to wear the shortest, tightest miniskirt you can find or the highest spike heels. Leave these things for the teenagers ot hookers. You can look "fashionable" and appropriate at the same time. And if you're going out in public, you'll have a better chance of passing as a woman.
    Krisi

Quote Originally Posted by Ceera View Post
    Personally, at this point in my life, I refuse to wear grey or grey-streaked wigs, or to dress like an ‘old lady’.
    ^this. It's the same with many women that I've known over the years; as they get older, they think it's appropriate to look 'old'. So they actually aim for that look. I don't understand why anyone would actually want to look old.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina133 View Post
    Dressing age inappropriate is a great way to get clocked.
    Dressing age appropriate will only increase the delay of getting clocked by a couple of seconds; the vast majority of us are going to get clocked anyway. We're rarely fooling anyone, other than the 1% of us who truly can pass.
    Quote Originally Posted by KatieGG View Post
    Older doesnt have to mean boring.
    It doesn't HAVE to, but it usually does. I see it most often due to marriage; once the impetus to be attractive isn't as much of a priority, it's easy to jettison the extra work needed to appear young and pretty. I'm not saying that men don't have the same failing, but men are more judged by our ability to earn money, than in our appearance. A 40 year old guy who's financially successful but who's homely and wearing poorly fitting clothes will still have many women interested in him; a comparable woman will have many fewer potential male suitors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather Anne View Post
    My goal when I go out in public is to blend in
    Pretty much no one 'blends in'. It's a euphemism for passing, and few are able to accomplish that. Or maybe you're thinking that if you're far enough away that others might not notice that you're actually a male, as quickly? Well at that distance, they wouldn't notice you weren't a woman if you were wearing fancier clothes, either.

Thinking that we're suddenly unnoticable because we're not wearing more flamboyant female attire is a myth brought on by the pink fog.

Too all of you who have somehow managed to convince yourself that you want to look like Tootsie or Mrs. Doubtfire, I congratulate you. I wish I could do it. But I'm unable to feel good at all, while looking like that. And feeling good is why I crossdress in the first place.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Platinum Member
    I do not recommend supporting anyone unconditionally. There are always consequences for one's actions. Some may be unintended, but, that's life. I am a 'mature' person as far as age (71). My choice of attire is 100% dresses. All hit at the knee, +/- an inch or two. I think tasteful. I do agree if you want to experiment with fantasy in your own home..fine. Outside the home? You alone will bear the consequences of your actions.

Ceera is 100% correct. (And are you serious? 60’s? I always thought 40s too!) Anyway, I digress. Some of us are blessed with genetics that allow us to pass for significantly younger than we are. The only “age inappropriate” outfits I have a problem with are dressers that try to look like underage girls. There’s a bit of an “ick” factor there.

I'd be lying if I said that I don't cringe a little when I see a middle-aged CD in public dressed like a teenage girl.

People are free to dress how they feel. But if you wish to be more accepted by the general public, then dressing how a GG woman would at your age makes you look FAR more passable and presentable.

But like I said, dress how you like. But don't be shocked when people point and mock.

(Obviously you can go as wild as you like in your home or a specific venues )

Quote Originally Posted by pamela7 View Post
    i've not looked, let alone posted, over here for a very long time, but I spotted this thread title, and feel my life these last few years as an out TS has given me some new perspective. Yes, everyone ought to be able to wear whichever clothing they like. And nonetheless, most TS would seek to dress age-appropriate in most situations, because they are seeking to live life as an authentic woman. But ...

The CD'er is free to indulge in self-expression. The CD'er can revel in knowing this is their "play time", so you should dress it up girls, and be outrageous, because that's part of the whole point.
    Even though I think this was intended as a mild jab at crossdressers, I don't totally disagree. Not that I think it should be a free-for-all. I'm WAY too judgmental for that. But, we can often take ourselves WAY too seriously. I've never done too much of the club wear, night out with the girls stuff. Mainly because I wasn't going to a club or out with the girls. A couple of times a year I'd give in to the wearing something too short, too tight, too everything... just because it was so fun for a short time! I think women do the same thing, actually. Even "authentic" women. Five or so years ago I stopped doing it. I knew the time had come. In 2018 I allowed myself that simple indulgence again a couple of times, and I'll probably do it again in 2019. We (including myself) can get so hung up on being authentic that we forget that there's nothing wrong with having fun with it. I won't do a steady diet of it. I'm usually in skinny jeans or leggings. But when I get the urge to wear a miniskirt, I'm going to do it!

hey Rhonda Jean, it was no jab, not at all, quite the opposite. I was saying that CD'ers really are able and open to express however they wish; more so than TS who have the desire to fit, pass and be a woman of their demographic.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

If I dressed age appropriate and to blend, I'd be wearing polyester pull up pants to church and sensible shoes. To dress up and wear pants does nothing for me. However I do wear knee length or longer dresses and skirts, nothing too low cut. Appropriate and classy is the look I go for. I'd like to incorporate leggings into the mix, but I need to find a tunic to provide a little coverage in the front.
    I have also seen some instances where my first thought was "Did she look in the mirror before she left the house?". But that was for both CDs ans GGs, I do understand that sometimes it is that it may be an issue of not having the right clothing or a limited selection. At least make sure that it fits correctly, and if you're happy with your look, more power to you.

I have toned down how I dress dramatically as I have matured.I like to dress to blend in and wear what is most appropriate to my surroundings .
    But while at home I can still be that 20 something girl in the 5 inch heels and the way too short mini skirt .
    Jill Mansfield

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    CDs really aren't able to express how they wish or else it would be acceptable to dress as hooker,or in evening gown doing the weekly shop.As a Crossdresser I'd rather not be the focus of ridicule in that way.

Sophie
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by pamela7 View Post
    hey Rhonda Jean, it was no jab, not at all, quite the opposite. I was saying that CD'ers really are able and open to express however they wish; more so than TS who have the desire to fit, pass and be a woman of their demographic.
    My apologies, Pamela. Already had my guard up.

I tend to dress a little conservative...i have been referred to as a hot soccer mom...😂. But I think the outfit needs to be appropriate for the occasion, well fitting and of good taste. But it is the whole point of blending in with what other women are wearing where you live. Fashion is a personal choice...i love clothes and I like to enjoy the experience. Have fun with what you are doing and it will show through . Cheers.
    Life is too short to be boring...Alexandra

As lots of the posts have said wear what you like but if you don't want to get stared at dress appropriately for your age and the surroundings. I went clothes shopping today in a busy shopping centre with an older female friend. I was going to wear a new silk midi dress but my wife said I would have been over-dressed.I took her advice and I felt confident and really enjoyed the day.

Eventually you’ll find your own style. Just remember that you can be dressed appropriately and still not blend in. Me, I’m always dressed perfectly - everyone else is underdressed!

Don't a lot of people dress to be stared at for something like a Taylor Swift concert?
    If only 2% do that you still have 1000 fans dressing outrageously.
    Last edited by Maid_Marion; 01-07-2019 at 07:28 PM.