Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Age-appropriate dressing

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    What do I think of people like u that disapprove of this 75 y/o's outfits?

I think you're jealous!

P1290699 (912x1024).jpg
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

"Men don't tell each other if they're dressed badly". They do in my circle of mates. You'll get a remark something along the lines of, "Who dressed you, Stevie Wonder?" or "Are you wearing that for a bet?".

I am in Blackpool for a few days dressed in a friendly bed and breakfast, while im out shopping during the day, I shall dress sensible and blend in, but when Im in the b and b and only going down to the bar and in the safety of the premises, I shall be wearing shorter skirts and tighter tops !!!!

Platinum Member
    I’m very conscious that I’m not a 20 something. I make choices that maturing women will wear. I also tend towards casual.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    Debs,Theres a photograph (remember them) of me in the Gynway playing pool in micro mini,sparkly halter top and leather knee high boots,wasn't for stepping out in,but sure was fun to wear in the b&b
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

I say if it looks good on you, wear it.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by sometimes_miss View Post
    Dressing age appropriate will only increase the delay of getting clocked by a couple of seconds; the vast majority of us are going to get clocked anyway. We're rarely fooling anyone, other than the 1% of us who truly can pass.
    Lexi,

There's flaws in your thinking IMHO. Wear a clown suit in a busy street and 90% will notice you. Dress like the rest and there's no reason for folks to look your way. Yes some will see and read you. Most won't have a reason to look so don't.

Pretty much no one 'blends in'. It's a euphemism for passing, and few are able to accomplish that. Or maybe you're thinking that if you're far enough away that others might not notice that you're actually a male, as quickly? Well at that distance, they wouldn't notice you weren't a woman if you were wearing fancier clothes, either.

Thinking that we're suddenly unnoticable because we're not wearing more flamboyant female attire is a myth brought on by the pink fog.
    I can't think of anyone who posts who advocates blending over passing suggesting that in doing so we become unnoticeable. It is however a sliding scale. At one end there's those who are so badly presented (and I'm excluding MAIDs from this) it's immediately obvious that they're male. This will go right through to those rare few who are 99.9% passable. Choosing what you wear plays a significant part in reaching the higher end of the scale. It perhaps more importantly impacts upon just how folks interact with you. Dress like a 17 year old while in your sixties, and with the figure of a sixty year old, isn't going to win you any admirers. To the contrary.

Too all of you who have somehow managed to convince yourself that you want to look like Tootsie or Mrs. Doubtfire, I congratulate you. I wish I could do it. But I'm unable to feel good at all, while looking like that. And feeling good is why I crossdress in the first place.
    Mrs Doubtfire or Tootsie are styles you'll never see me emulate. I wear clothes that fit well, look stylish, colour co-ordinate and are suited to a woman who's taken time to present well while out and about without being overly dressed. And yes I feel good when I look in the mirror and take that out on the road.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    Does this phenomenon of Pink Fog really exist,never seen it mentioned anywhere but on the pages of CD.com

Sophie
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

I laugh that age appropriate dressing why I'm not gender appropriate. I'm 71 but dress like I'm 50. So who cares but me.
    GLENDA
    I FEEL LIKE A WOMAN

I agree. who cares but you

Banned Read only
    Helen,
    I was going to comment more on Lexi's replies but this question was asked in the open M/F section , it's not fair to say just for crossdressers but I'm finding the forum choices are narrowing . Are her comments fair ? If so which sections do we head for , I'm not NB but that section is becoming more restricted to that group , I consider myself in social transition so I'm not openly welcomed in the TS section .

If you dress everyday and head out into the RW the arguments about blending and passing and most of the other labels fall by the wayside . As you know it means dressing approprite in clothes, hair (wig) makeup , it doesn't always mean dressing like grandma or skirts round your backside and killer heels .

I always try to dress age appropriate, but, I also like to wear pantyhose, which is a no no today.....I think, and feel, that you should wear what ever you feel comfortable with, AND makes you happy. It's hard enough going out dressed age appropriate, or just dressed period. If you have the courage to wear what "turns you on" than I say go for it....What ever you wear going out is a plus, and ad's to making this normal in our society, so why would you want to judge or condemn......

Here's my two cents on the subject...

Doesn't it depend on your intention and your circumstances to what age you decide to dress?

For instance not every crossdresser goes out in public. Although from this thread it looks as though the number of stay at home crossdressers is smaller than I thought!

Personally I would have a tough time "passing" going out in public. But posting photos is fine. Why? I'm six - four in bare feet, have a large Adam's apple, man face features and love wearing heels (size 14!). I'm slim so in photos it looks proportionate, so dressing in age appropriate clothing would not be helpful or allow me to "pass". I truly stand out in a crowd!

On the other hand if you love younger clothing and you feel comfortable going out like that. I say more power to you. Sure you'll get a lot of looks and people will judge. That's really the way of the world.

Personally I'm more uncomfortable with a MIAD out in public than an inappropriately dressed crossdresser. But hey, that's me!

Anyone can dress how they want, but for me I feel more comfortable and more myself in age appropriate dress, although I do like to look nice. It's usually womens jeans/leggings and flats with a sweater or blouse, which are things most women in a wide age range wear daily. I have a slender shape and like how I look in jeans or leggings,but don't wear real short dresses when I wear them, in fact I like the longer summer dresses the best. At 56 I think I would look pretty silly ( and probably creepy) dressed as a teenager or in something frilly, but that's just me and to each their own

I've always gotten positive feedback from wearing shorts. As recently as last summer. So why not flaunt it while I still can?

Banned Read only

Ruining "it" for everyone

Apparently, this guy never got that memo?
    Attached Images Attached Images

A comment in another thread made me think about this. Look at how your SO dresses and dress similarly. I do this without even realizing I guess after 25 years of shopping with her we have similar styles. we often match with out even planning it even when I am in Boy Mode.

I have also started following some style blogs on instagram one for over forty and one for over fifty women.

SM

Reality Check
    Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    What do I think of people like u that disapprove of this 75 y/o's outfits?

I think you're jealous!

P1290699 (912x1024).jpg
    If you're going to wear a mask and a silicone body suit, you can dress whatever age you want. For those of us going out in our own skin, dressing our age is more appropriate.

I'll never forget being at a dance and seeing my friend with his date. I first saw her from a distance and she looked "hot" with long blonde hair and a denim miniskirt. Then my friend brought her over and introduced me to her. Up close, she had to be at least sixty years old with a face that would stop a clock. What's important is that everything matches. If your face and skin look a certain age, your clothing should also. Most real women know that. This one didn't.
    Krisi

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    Dressing age appropriate is total bullshit, there are too many factors to take into account. The physical effects of age (deep lines on face), weight, height your attitude and personality. Now I'm 56 and you all know I dress "younger" than my age and I'm known to wear quite revealing and sexy outfits. I also dress for the location. I do not dress trashy when going to vanilla establishments but in a nightclub or similar place, I'm definitely dressing to be seen. It's one thing if you can pull off the look (I go over every outfit many times to make sure I'm good) and another if you look like an overweight ex-lineman with a face that looks like a dried river bed, it ain't gonna be pretty. Just know what looks good on you and do it.
    Last edited by Majella St Gerard; 01-11-2019 at 03:29 PM.

I think it depends on the situation. If you’re at the store in miniskirt and stilettos (Walmart) and you’re over 30 then no. If you want to go to a nightclub then go for it but own it. if you are of a certain age be prepared for the backlash if you are CD or GG

Reality Check
    Quote Originally Posted by Majella St Gerard View Post
    Dressing age appropriate is total bullshit, ................

You are certainly welcome to have your own opinion, but calling other people's opinions "total bullshit" is a bit over the top. We all should be able to post our opinions without being insulted.

We come from all over the world and are each in different situations as well as having different goals concerning crossdressing. You have figured out what works for you (for now), but you have no right to apply it to other people that you don't even know.
    Krisi

Funny thing is that as I have got older I have actually got to like more mature ladies clothes and accessories. I am told my outfits are attractive. I gave up the short skirts years ago and love finding a classy outfit. Not quite twinsets yet but getting there. Shoes and heels are more sensible and comfortable now but still feminine. I especially like Artigiano, Joseph Ribkoff and Frank Lyman though I heed my wife’s gentle warnings not to go out looking like I’m going to a wedding!
    Do whatever you please but take care when going out. Xxx

Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    You are certainly welcome to have your own opinion, but calling other people's opinions "total bullshit" is a bit over the top. We all should be able to post our opinions without being insulted.

We come from all over the world and are each in different situations as well as having different goals concerning crossdressing. You have figured out what works for you (for now), but you have no right to apply it to other people that you don't even know.
    Krisi is correct. ALL of our sits are diff... Like I have posted---Senior GG works for me in the area that I live. So I Dress like them when Out. What I wear at home doesent matter. BTW---- have been sober since 1975 - so don't wear miniskirts or clubwear as haven't been in a bar/club since 1970s. IF I wore a short bodycon dress in the Walmart across from Leisure World--- wd be like waving a lit roadflare over my head. But I DO understand those that "need" the pantyhose & stillettos. Toni G..
    "Seen by Many---Clocked by Any??"
    In the Snowbird Zone

Krisi is correct, no need for that here.
    Crissy

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Krisi, I know u like to take shots at folks sometimes. But, you're often wrong or rite for the wrong reasons!
    My photo u commented on is my natural figure with the same forms and pads u wear! I look exactly like that when I go out. Sans mask!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    If you're going to wear a mask and a silicone body suit, you can dress whatever age you want. For those of us going out in our own skin, dressing our age is more appropriate. -----------------------------------
    This my body suit. I rarely wear it out. When I do, it's to private, costume events!

U can dress however u like if I can do the same?

7754.jpg
    Last edited by docrobbysherry; 01-16-2019 at 10:24 AM.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!