Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why does crossdressing make me feel empty, alone and scared?

Why does crossdressing make me feel empty, alone and scared?

Like i'm breaking some law by doing it or opening a can of worms from which there's no coming back. I feel like people would look down on me and think I was disgusting.

That’s called anxiety. As to WHY you experience anxiety in relation to your cross dressing, well it has something to do with your life but I’m afraid you’ll have to figure that out on your own. Not enough info here.

So it never happened to you?

Breaking a law, no. Breaking what has been in the past a long established social taboo, yes.

Even in areas of high acceptance going out will generate some level of anxiety. It's hard for any of us, especially in the early forays to go out without any nerves or apprehension. What you're feeling is absolutely normal.

"I feel like people would look down on me and think I was disgusting." Guess what? A few, a very few will. It goes with the turf. It's something we have to deal with. Thankfully, it is a very few. Most are either OK with us, neutral, just can't be bothered one way or the other. And that's what you've got to get your head around.

We create these demons, these doomsday scenarios of the world being against us in our heads. We create the environment that causes us to fear. It's that fear that stops so many going out.

EDIT:

I've just seen your question to Micki and the answer certainly for me was yes, I suffered with those anxieties.

I've told this tale many times; my first real outing, going into a shop in the middle of the day started with me sat in the car, butterflies the size of eagles, nervous as hell. Opening that car door and stepping out took all my determination. Stood in a busy car park, putting on my coat I felt like everyone was watching me when in truth of course they weren't. I walked into the nearest shop and began browsing the racks. After only a few minutes my nerves had calmed, I began to relax. One shop became 2 then 3 , probably 10 or more before I was finished. Since then I've gone from strength to strength.

Still sometimes get a little nervous but that's a good thing as it means I've got my spidy senses turned on.
    Last edited by Helen_Highwater; 01-09-2019 at 11:30 AM.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Hi Tolerant,
    From early childhood we get the message that we are assigned to a camp- man or woman, and there will be terrible consequences if we object, or try to escape. These enforcement threats are perhaps lost in the mists of history, but that is the source of your feelings. A therapist, or perhaps just journal writing, can free you of it by making those voices clear, remembering the scenes, relitigating them with the enforcer, etc.

I love to remember a day in the fitting room foyer at a clothes shop where the attendant helping me who was friendly, went on break. Her replacement looked at me and the handful of very feminine clothes, and ... felt she too was about to be embroiled in some kind of perverse downward spiral of society. The first attendant smiled easily and handed her the clothes to count, and said "Why not?" She saw it too, and relaxed.
    We are all beautiful...!

Your not breaking any law because you CD. Being thought of as disgusting is associated with the types of clothing and your actions if and when in public view, the act itself is not disgusting. And alone in this CDing thing I'm sure the majority of us here have felt that way at one time or another.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    You need to ask yourself why you feel that way.
    Be honest with yourself too no BS.
    It could be the way you were raised or the fact you think all CDers must be gay and you think you are not.
    Homophobia is rampant in the CD spectrum btw.
    You obviously have not accepted yourself and that can take time.
    No you are not breaking the law.
    I will say you will only go as far as you want it to go so thinking you are going to fall in some hole is silly.
    Its just dressing in the clothes of the opposite gender and you aren't the only one so lighten up a little.

It could become addictive, and I must admit I do it for sexual reasons and could end up with me needing to cross dress to get turned on at all.

Banned Spammer
    Only if you let it so its up to you, don't blame it on a sexual fantasy.

Banned Read only
    If it is giving you this much anxiety, then you really should consider counseling.
    Last edited by Robertacd; 01-10-2019 at 12:27 PM.

Aspiring Member
    The easy answer to your question is that you are the only one in the whole world that has these desires. And that is the same thing that every one of us on this forum went through.
    Don't worry, on this forum we see you as normal.

Gold Member
    At 71, years old, I dress for enjoyment, not for any sexual satisfaction.
    I do not leave the house while dressed, so you might say I am in the Closet.
    I am OK with that, I could not pass as a woman, so why should I try to be one.
    Wearing a dress or a skirt around the house is relaxing to me, and I look forwards
    to my dressing times.
    rader

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Tolerant, I'm not clear. Is that the opinion u have of yourself and your dressing? If so, I had that same feelings when I first arrived here 10 years ago. But, with encouraged from members here, telling me I'm not hurting anyone and sex while dressed is quite common and normal, they have gone away!

If you're worried about getting flack when u go out? I get it and dislike it, too!
    So, I just avoid all vanilla venues when possible. T friendly venues r fun and encouraging! Never negative. I suggest u do the same!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by TolerantCD View Post
    So it never happened to you?
    It’s happened to most of us to some degree, but you asked WHY, and your reasons for anxiety are unique to you and your life and we can’t tell you why.

Generally, people who wish they were better than everyone else and have "self control", tend to look down on anyone else who enjoy their sexuality, be it ****ty, CD, Gay, masturbation etc. We are conditioned to put all these things in the "disgusting" file because we need so measure to make us feel "better" than all the other humans on the planet.

I was lucky enough to be raised by a woman who knew being "sexual" was a normal part of being human, so non of the above activities were filed as "disgusting"
    She also taught me (and "LandMark Forum" reinforced the idea later in life), that only I, was allowed to judge me
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

You’ll get used to it

Aspiring Member
    Tolerant CD, I believe the shame you feel is due to social expectations. It is also part of the biological imperative. We are a competitive species with a hierarchical society. At the top of the ladder are the alpha males who are the powerful dominant natural leaders with the respect of the peers. At the bottom of the ladder are the betas who are weak, effeminate, and easily bullied. Females are naturally attracted to the alpha males, and the betas are invisible to them.

So when you crossdress you fear people will beat the snot out of you for your own good. Actually, society is much more tolerant than we expect. The fear of rejection you experience is largely self imposed. Nonetheless, that fear is common among crossdressers. We have worked all our lives trying to meet expectations about our manhood, and we don't want it to be fake.

My advice is simply be yourself. You don't need to pass as a woman. You don't need to take risks, or go out in public. Stay within your comfort zone. Impose boundaries for yourself that give you a sense of self control. Appreciate yourself for all the positive attributes you have.

There is a committee in your head … for most of us, I think over one thing or a great many things. It takes the negative things you may have heard about yourself and echoes them until they are magnified and the source is lost.

Damn them! Damn that committee in your head! They are liars. They will tell you ugly lies and pretty lies. Sometimes even ugly truths designed to hurt you again and again. They are liars!

When the committee starts their lying, ask yourself, your true self … "Am I harming anyone?" "Am I harming myself?" "Am I putting myself or someone else in danger?"

If your true self answers "No" then you know the committee is lying to you and you can ignore them.

A thousand people can tell you something good about you. One person tells you something bad, and that's the voice that the committee will invite in and allow to echo and magnify. They are liars!

You don't need anyone's permission to follow your bliss (crossdressing, or whatever), but just in case you feel that you do, you have MY permission to enjoy yourself.

I think it's because allot of people tell us it's wrong!
    My wife constantly says cross-dressing is all wrong and messed up.
    I had plans last week to dress, I have four new dresses but the night before my wife saw a cross-dresser on TV and ranted about how messed up he was.
    It made me feel bad the next day so I couldn't get in the mode to dress.
    I thought a little about Purging!
    "This is ME" I am not CRAZY, I'm just a GUY who likes dresses!
    Since allot of men dress up in woman's clothing that makes it a manly thing to do!
    Much more fun than fishing.
    I do construction like house building and I love CD-ing, what's the difference?

Banned Spammer
    To put it bluntly you are no different than many on this forum so your predicament is not special or is it a one in a million thing its actually quite common.
    Basically what you think about yourself doing this is all coming from your mind and your belief structure so the best thing to do is accept it and enjoy dressing.
    Why not let yourself enjoy something for once?

You can allow the shame to dominate your thinking and hate yourself for how you feel. It can take time, but life will be easier if you learn to accept or even embrace your feelings. Not saying its easy to do and how you feel is common, but the simple fact is how you feel is not going to go away. The sexual thrill may ease or stop over time but not the rest.
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

Tolerant, I belong to a local meetup group that meets every other month or so. I go to this group and I feel just the opposite.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Banned Read only
    The Answer Is: We are taught as males to never ever do anything feminine, it is weakness and we must be macho and strong. We should feel shame if we do. Everyone will look down on us with shame and discuss. It will make them sick to their stomachs to see a man in women's clothes. How stupid when society approves of women dressing and wearing anything and any gender they like. TolerantCD now you know, be smart, rise above this sexist discriminatory thinking. Do you have the same rights as a woman, damn right. They go in a store and buy and wear what ever clothing they like, no problem doing this, good for them. If they can do this you can and have the same right. Now you know, trash can the guilt.

Hi TolerantCD Welcome to the world of crossdressing about the only thing you cant do is quit . it kinda grows on you .like it controls our thoughts and actions and there is nothing we can do about it but except who we are , hope you enjoy your new life Rhonda xoxoxo

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by TolerantCD View Post
    I must admit I do it for sexual reasons and could end up with me needing to cross dress to get turned on at all.
    Well then chances are once Crossdressing no longer turns you on, you will find a new fetish and carry on.